Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good point.

The second issue with comparing them as a metric of QB productivity, is the need to consider the overall offensive scheme. 

In 2017, the Rams passed 53% of their QB plays from scrimmage (eg not including punts, FGA etc).  In 2015, the Bills ran 52% of their QB plays from scrimmage. 

The Rams in 2017 had the #1 offense in the league for points scored.  The 2015 Bills were #12 - I think  top 10 projecting the Tyrod games to 16.  So clearly overall the Rams were running a more effective offense in 2017 than the Bills in 2015.

I think you're referring to 2016: iirc in 2015 Taylor missed the Bengals and Jaguars games which we scored 21 and 31 points respectively...that year we scored 379 points total which was good for 12th at 23.68 ppg. Those two games actually brought up the average, if you project Taylor's games to 16 it actually takes the scoring offense from 12th to 15th I believe.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

QBR is just bad.  I'm not sure it's even properly characterized as a stat: there are a number of what are essentially 'opinions' about the importance of different plays at different points in the game, how much pressure a QB is under etc. folded into it.   " Unlike the NFL passer rating, ESPN has not yet been forthcoming on the exact specific formulas and procedures to calculate QBR.[7] The proprietary, complex methodology spans some 10,000 lines of code" (that's after various assessments off film are folded into it)

I think purely on an offensive output basis, Tyrod could arguably the better choice here for 1 more season.  Looked at objectively,AJM to date (while a better pocket QB) had similar passing production in his limited NFL games, and lacks the run contributions of Taylor.  I think the Bills moved on for a number of factors beyond pure offensive output, and I'm OK with that choice.  Sometimes "good" (or average, or mediocre, or whatever word one prefers) is the enemy of "great" IOW one has to risk possibly taking a drop in performance in order to set up for an improvement.

True, AJs passing yards in total per game are similar but I equate that to a coach not putting too much on their 2nd year backup. 

As a sophomore AJ went 2-2 as a starter.  He lost 1 game in OT to the (soon to be) SB winners in the regular season and because of 2 back to back blunders on defense with a 1 point lead lost the game as those 30 yards of penalties put the Steelers in FG range. 

2nd year players output to a 7th years players output.  

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

the whole offense relapsed under Dennison.

I missed Lynn and Kromer last year.

Tyrod best year was with Roman.  

A guy they fired because TT wasn’t improving in season 2 so the scapegoat became the OC (not once but 3 times).  

On 6/2/2018 at 7:16 AM, Zebrastripes said:

Two games with under 100 passing yards and 6 more with under 200 really isn't doing enough to stay on a NFL team.

And only one game in 3 seasons as the starter over 300 (just barely), and it took OT to hit that.

Not many starting QB's get 3 full years "leading" an offense that was dead last or close to dead last, in passing with those kind of numbers.

44 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

McDermott and Dennison Rexed our offense.

Tay Tay Rexed our offense.   

3 seasons which regressed every season.  

The improved defense and a guy nicknamed HouseMoney saved the Bills past season with a record # of 50 plus yard FGs.  

Occums razor says look at the common denominator T2

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think you're referring to 2016: iirc in 2015 Taylor missed the Bengals and Jaguars games which we scored 21 and 31 points respectively...that year we scored 379 points total which was good for 12th at 23.68 ppg. Those two games actually brought up the average, if you project Taylor's games to 16 it actually takes the scoring offense from 12th to 15th I believe.

I accept your word, I didn't dig deep myself.

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

True, AJs passing yards in total per game are similar but I equate that to a coach not putting too much on their 2nd year backup.

It could be.  He did rack up more yards the game that he took over after Dalton was injured.

OTOH there are a bunch of film analyses of those games out there that point out where he lacked the precision or arm zing to fit the ball into available holes, and where he made the throw but it was just enough off target to preclude YAC.  And he did have some amazing WR.    So it might be he couldn't generate

more offense.

On the third hand, maybe he's taken a step in his abilities to read a defense etc.

Tyrod came to Buffalo after being a backup in Baltimore to end up bouncing teams to be a backup somewhere else. Enjoy your one year as a starter if you even get that. Browns know what they got in him so they drafted his replacement before he even played a snap. He better learn to be a backup or he will be out of this league pretty fast.

Tyrod has done enough to stay, haha. Team 3 has already determined not enough to stay as a starter. Didn't he say the same thing when Baltimore said goodbye to him?

Edited by xRUSHx

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It could be.  He did rack up more yards the game that he took over after Dalton was injured.

OTOH there are a bunch of film analyses of those games out there that point out where he lacked the precision or arm zing to fit the ball into available holes, and where he made the throw but it was just enough off target to preclude YAC.  And he did have some amazing WR.    So it might be he couldn't generate

more offense.

On the third hand, maybe he's taken a step in his abilities to read a defense etc.

All we can do is hope he’s stepped it up.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

All we can do is hope he’s stepped it up.   

To step up would be great but..

I'm not expecting much from him, IMO AJ is a backup and will end up continuing as a backup throughout his career. AJ is just a holder for a short time. IMO Peterman could end up better with time so saying that IMO shows where I feel AJ will ever be, backup at best. Who is the better backup to stay after this season when Allen takes over, AJ or Peterman, looks like both arms are in the same category so this season is battle of the backups of who stays in 2019 IMO. 

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

I honestly don't know why Tyrod is excited.  He's gonna be put in the same situation after this season when Cleveland decides to start Baker in 2019.  I'll give Tyrod credit though cuz he does handle it well.  I'm not too worried about the stats he put up, with the exception of his turnover ratio.  Yeah de didn't turn the ball over much, but at the same time, how many 3 & outs did we have under Tyrod.  To me, that's the same as a turnover cuz we couldn't push the ball down the field.  Additionally, until he establishes himself as a clutch QB, he won't be able to make it in this league as an every year starter.  He is still relatively young in his career, so he has the opportunity to turn things around, I do wish him the best.  It just won't be in Cleveland.  Sorry Tyrod, Cleveland already drafted your replacement.

34 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I honestly don't know why Tyrod is excited.  He's gonna be put in the same situation after this season when Cleveland decides to start Baker in 2019.  I'll give Tyrod credit though cuz he does handle it well.  I'm not too worried about the stats he put up, with the exception of his turnover ratio.  Yeah de didn't turn the ball over much, but at the same time, how many 3 & outs did we have under Tyrod.  To me, that's the same as a turnover cuz we couldn't push the ball down the field.  Additionally, until he establishes himself as a clutch QB, he won't be able to make it in this league as an every year starter.  He is still relatively young in his career, so he has the opportunity to turn things around, I do wish him the best.  It just won't be in Cleveland.  Sorry Tyrod, Cleveland already drafted your replacement.

Let me get this straight. 3 and out and a flip of the field is the same as a Potentially field shortening turnover?...

Geez, dude. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Lol. Awful, awful take. If you want to say anyone ruined the offense it is McDermott with his choice of offensive coaching hires and offensive personnel decisions last offseason.

Scott,  You can be all confused by my post.  It’s ok.  We know how love blind you are with TT. 

Have fun chatting with your new Browns friends. I’m sure that would appreciate a bright outlook.  

Make him a QB.  

/mic drop

If it weren’t for House$ the Bills would be lucky to have won  6 or 7 games.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol. Awful, awful take. If you want to say anyone ruined the offense it is McDermott with his choice of offensive coaching hires and offensive personnel decisions last offseason.

You’re the king of awful takes on Taylor. 

Tyrod Taylor = TJ Yates, Ryan Lindley, Tarvaris Jackson when it comes to playoff performances. 

Osweiler would have been an upgrade over your crush.  

Stop making the excuse machine work overtime.    

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

It's called the "wishbone".

i don't know about all that. i think that greg roman did a good job with taylor while he was here. some read option, lots of boots and roll outs, a downfield passing attack that utilized the sidelines to minimize the chance of turnover. tyrod was not without ability, and certainly had strengths. we all know his limitations, but he was far from an awful qb.

• Like (+1) 1

If the defense didn't force turnovers as much as it did, do you think the Bills would have won as many games? I would like to see what another QB does with that many extra possessions in games. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Scott,  You can be all confused by my post.  It’s ok.  We know how love blind you are with TT. 

Have fun chatting with your new Browns friends. I’m sure that would appreciate a bright outlook.  

Make him a QB.  

/mic drop

If it weren’t for House$ the Bills would be lucky to have won  6 or 7 games.  

Taylor regressed in his play as a QB in Buffalo over the last 3 years.

You've regressed as a poster over the last 3 years since you've been posting about him.

You're still with us, he's not. Maybe we should talk about you.