Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

HOUSE

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

I disagree with your disagreeing. The eye test said my eyes couldnt take another TT game. He is gone, I have moved on.

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, I agree that we should be fine with Gunner's comment - the offense will be, and should be, conservative until the Bills have an offense that can win opening it up. 

And I agree very much about the Steelers protecting Ben.  Ben was something of a train wreck for several seasons off the field, and the Steelers had a lot of patience with him.   I don't think Allen is likely to be an off-field problem, but it may take a while to get him up to speed as an NFL starter.   McDermott is likely to be patient, so long as Allen is working at his craft and improving.   

Up until about 2010 Big Ben had a god awful record when he had to throw the ball more than 30 times. I can’t exactly remember the exact numbers but his win % dropped DRASTICALLY. So much so that always remember the graphic popping up during games when it was happening. 

He really was helped along for quite some time. During that said span he was just extremely freaking clutch. I mean I remember a good 3 or 4 year span when his numbers were pedestrian at best but there wasn’t a qb in the league I would take over him in crunch time. Heck, he was clutch all year back in 08 when they won the title and his regular season numbers were 3100 yds 17td and 15int.

People forget how long it really took him to be who he is now and how good the teams were that he used to have around him. I’ll buy a ticket on that train all day though..... again. That’s best case scenario, obviously 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

15 years ago.......Back then defenses could actually play D still.

2 hours ago, Young34 said:

Please stop with yards only garbage. In Brady's first three seasons as a starter, he threw for 14 games under 200 yards. This clearly isn't a sole metric to judge off of.

Edit: To be clear, his first three entire seasons as a starter. This isn't counting Brady's first year when he took over mid-season, which would have a higher count of low yardage games.

Everyone that has argued yards doesn't matter doesn't take into account the fact Tyrod regressed from season 1 to season 3 as a starter.  Every example people use such as Brady and Brees is nonsense because both of these guys showed steady improvement from year 1 and beyond.  Brees did have the hiccup in year 2 as a starter but showed steady improvement in year 3 and beyond.

Plus let's take a look at average passing yards per game from then until now.  I bet there is a difference.

Edited by Zebrastripes

I don't want ANY player who feels he's done more than enough when the team hasn't done enough!   I don't care about stats, personal  accomplishments, community involvement., whatever.  The team didn't do enough, therefor YOU didn't do enough.   When we have a team where everyone on the roster feels that way, we'll have a winner.  And I feel Mcbean is trying to build that kind of roster.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Moving on was the right decision for both sides. Tyrod handled himself with class as always. The Bills handled it the right way by keeping him in the loop. 

i think this is exactly right. he is a good qb, and a great guy. under the right circumstances, i think he could be a really good qb. but you would absolutely have to design a specific offense around his skillset. the bills decided they wanted to build around a more traditional passing game with a pocket passer and a different skillset, or at least a different set of physical, and possibly mental, tools. i was glad to see that the situation was handled well from the bills side, i thought taylor always handled himself with class. wish him success in cleveland and wherever he lands after that.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, lookylookyherecomescookie said:

I don't want ANY player who feels he's done more than enough when the team hasn't done enough!   I don't care about stats, personal  accomplishments, community involvement., whatever.  The team didn't do enough, therefor YOU didn't do enough.   When we have a team where everyone on the roster feels that way, we'll have a winner.  And I feel Mcbean is trying to build that kind of roster.

He said he'd done enough to deserve to stay.  That's different from saying he'd done enough to win.  If Shady said he'd done more than enough to do deserve to stay, would you trade him?

There's nothing wrong with what Taylor said. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

He said he'd done enough to deserve to stay.  That's different from saying he'd done enough to win.  If Shady said he'd done more than enough to do deserve to stay, would you trade him?

Except for being wrong.

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree. Especially if he is just answering questions being asked to him. I think it's redundant to keep asking him questions about Buffalo. I really believe he was doing the best he could do for the team. 

It just wasn't good enough and I still would of rather had the 3rd round pick. I believe he will do his best for the Cleveland Browns and I still don't think it will be good enough to secure any kind of job security. 

I may not have liked Tyrod the QB but I have a ton of respect for Tyrod the person. I think people should keep in mind that at least the guy loved the Bills and wanted to be our starting QB and probably still wishes he was. 

I personally draw the line and criticism of Tyrod the human being. He is a great individual. I really wish he was more successful in Buffalo in his time here. 

Edited by Lfod

10 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Except for being wrong.

That's true.  He admitted that the people who made the decision didn't agree with him.  He just doesn't share their opinion, nor, apparently, yours.  

He's entitled to his opinion, as are you.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Tyrod never ever said the wrong thing, much to his credit, he went through a lot and kept clam.

it was just all the pain he caused having to watch him play.

i guess it was better to not watch and cherry pick and manipulate stats and feel he was a great QB....

57 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Everyone that has argued yards doesn't matter doesn't take into account the fact Tyrod regressed from season 1 to season 3 as a starter.  Every example people use such as Brady and Brees is nonsense because both of these guys showed steady improvement from year 1 and beyond.  Brees did have the hiccup in year 2 as a starter but showed steady improvement in year 3 and beyond.

Plus let's take a look at average passing yards per game from then until now.  I bet there is a difference.

The Bills put much less offensive talent on the field with Taylor each successive season. A lot of this was injuries, but some of it was indifference with the players they let walk. It's interesting to see how far people go to ignore this fact, which is a 500lb gorilla sitting in the room. Recently I had multiple exchanges with another poster over Taylor's deep game. He :

• Admitted Taylor had a  excellent deep ball in '15
  • Admitted Taylor's deep threat sat half the '16 season injured.
  • Admitted Taylor's deep threat played w/ a severe injury when he was back on the field (after first trying to claim he was "cured" when he came back)
  • Admitted Taylor didn't have a deep threat in '17

So the fact TT's deep game got worse from '15 to '16' to '17 is perfectly understandable in light of the above?

Not a chance. This guy claimed that was all a coincidence. Taylor "regressed".

It must have required an effort to ignore the common sense of it, but that was the conclusion he wanted......

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, grb said:

Here we go again : "you still see the same limitations no matter who is on the field"

Really? Taylor had Watkins and Woods on the field only fifteen games over two years. That's only time he ever played with a legitimate number One & Two receiver of decent NFL grade. His remaining time as a Bill he had receivers delivered to the stadium by ambulance from the local intensive care ward. Or scrappings from other team's practice squad. Plus one very over-whelmed under-performing rookie. So, I guess it's informative to see how he performed those 15 games in '15 and '16 :

• 63.6% comp. 8.25 ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 int

Of course that's an imperfect yardstick to grade a quarterback even if it addresses the comment above, so perhaps it's better to take the single season of '15, when Taylor was 7th by NFL passer rating and averaged 8 yards an attempt. Here's the bottom line :

• Taylor gets no credit here for playing well the very limited time the Bills put a decent offensive team around him.
  • Taylor gets no credit here for wins, which supposedly (always) had nothing to do with him. Strangely, the exact opposite was true of losses
  • Taylor gets no credit here for the Bills going to the playoffs. No contribution whatsoever......

So you'd think it's impossible for Taylor to get any credit at all, but that shows a poor understanding of Billsy Mentality. There's one exception :

• Success on another team.

Blah blah blah.... and then the league figured him out.

31 out of 44 games as a Buffalo Bill he passed for 1 or less TDs. 

He sucks and is now the Browns problem. Thank god!

Edited by PeterGriffin
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, grb said:

The Bills put much less offensive talent on the field with Taylor each successive season. A lot of this was injuries, but some of it was indifference with the players they let walk. It's interesting to see how far people go to ignore this fact, which is a 500lb gorilla sitting in the room. Recently I had multiple exchanges with another poster over Taylor's deep game. He :

• Admitted Taylor had a  excellent deep ball in '15
  • Admitted Taylor's deep threat sat half the '16 season injured.
  • Admitted Taylor's deep threat played w/ a severe injury when he was back on the field (after first trying to claim he was "cured" when he came back)
  • Admitted Taylor didn't have a deep threat in '17

So the fact TT's deep game got worse from '15 to '16' to '17 is perfectly understandable in light of the above?

Not a chance. This guy claimed that was all a coincidence. Taylor "regressed".

It must have required an effort to ignore the common sense of it, but that was the conclusion he wanted......

Not gonna disagree with any of that.  Problem is Tyrod had far greater issues then just his deep ball.  Plus I am a firm believer in the idea that the qb makes the wr not the other way around.  Just look at what Robert Woods did this year.  Tyrod had both Woods and Watkins on his team just like Goff did and look at the difference in production from them two.

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

you're right, and  I don't mean to denigrate him as a person, he may be a wonderful human being.   I just want a team where every player absolutely hates to lose, and takes each and every loss personally.  Players who tell us what they deserve  just rub me the wrong way.

Bottom line is TT could not throw open an NFL Receiver. He was limited in the pocket and the offense needed to be Taylor'ed to his strengths instead of running a diverse modern pro offense. TT kept plays alive with his legs, kept defenses off balance with his legs and limited turnovers. But unfortunately when the game relied on TT's arm, we lost. The only OC to use TT's strengths was Anthony Lynn and it was a sufficient enough offense to get by if the D had been better.  Dennison and TT were a match made in hell and it showed. This is why they are both gone. I'd rather see what Allen can do, then play habit insanity with TT.

48 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Plus I am a firm believer in the idea that the qb makes the wr not the other way around.  Just look at what Robert Woods did this year.  Tyrod had both Woods and Watkins on his team just like Goff did and look at the difference in production from them two.

Goff's team has a passing game guru as HC/OC.  Hotrod's had a ball control IF and OC. I think that figures in somehow.

As to the bolded, It takes 2 baby.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

Goff's team has a passing game guru as HC/OC.  Hotrod's had a ball control IF and OC. I think that figures in somehow.

As to the bolded, It takes 2 baby.

As far as it taking 2 what about all the guys that didn't produce with teams until they had Brady as their qb.