Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

...NOT a proponent of stats being the sole criterion to judge.....they are highly interpretive, highly manipulative and can be used to prove one's point or disprove another's despite being the same numbers....they exclude a ton of other circumstances in the game IMO.....shall we say Dilfer's "stats" woefully sucked in SB XXXV?...uh 12/25 for 153 qualifies for sucks?...yup......but a multitude of OTHER game circumstances led to the Lombardi "on the shelf"......

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Keemun here last season? 

He would've sucked and the Bills would've sucked.

I submit he'd have played a similar level to Tyrod and the Bills record would have been the same. 

9 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yea their o-line was improved on 2016 but Keenum's ability to move over stationary Bradford played a part. 

8 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

His game was to limited for a wide open attack. The Bills were smart to move on...

this may be true.however I 'm not so sure we necessarily want to run a "wide open attack".  Coach McDermott seems to be more of a strong D/ball control offense kind of guy.  Perhaps a different QB could change that. However, hiring a ground and pound OC with a dubious record and drafting D heavy after Allen makes me think we're in for more OF the same.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

this may be true.however I 'm not so sure we necessarily want to run a "wide open attack".  Coach McDermott seems to be more of a strong D/ball control offense kind of guy.  Perhaps a different QB could change that. However, hiring a ground and pound OC with a dubious record and drafting D heavy after Allen makes me think we're in for more OF the same.

I think until McDermott believes he has a top notch QB he will be that way. 

8 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

Two games with under 100 passing yards and 6 more with under 200 really isn't doing enough to stay on a NFL team.

Please stop with yards only garbage. In Brady's first three seasons as a starter, he threw for 14 games under 200 yards. This clearly isn't a sole metric to judge off of.

Edit: To be clear, his first three entire seasons as a starter. This isn't counting Brady's first year when he took over mid-season, which would have a higher count of low yardage games.

Edited by Young34
Clarifying that the seasons are full seasons.

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I have no idea what you’re saying.  You just said Allen had amazing arm talent and the league is filled with guys with amazing arm talent who did nothing.

i wanted Tyrod to move on and get a new qb. We did that and though it definitely wasn’t the guy I wanted, I hope for the best. But I’m super nervous about him.

Yeah, getting a high 3rd for Tyrod was shocking.  

I'm saying drawing lazy conclusions to other QB's is lazy and silly.

7 hours ago, gjv001 said:

If the Browns management lets Taylor play, given the quality of talent around him, he will probably get Cleveland into the playoffs this season. 

The Browns seem to be the popular annual consensus sleeper team that will sneak into the playoffs meaning there's no way in hell they're making the playoffs. 

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I submit he'd have played a similar level to Tyrod and the Bills record would have been the same. 

Yea their o-line was improved on 2016 but Keenum's ability to move over stationary Bradford played a part. 

Keenum was decent, he has some weapons in Denver, that is my pick of the year for win totals. I have them closer 10 than I do 7.

Keenum offers more presnap than Taylor and played better than most folks give him credit for. 

I LOVE Taylor and will always respect him greatly but it was time to move on. We had the opportunity to draft a top QB in a draft loaded with franchise QBs, I'm sorry but too many chefs in the kitchen, the locker room would have been divided and that 3rd round pick helped us get a franchise MLB.

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think until McDermott believes he has a top notch QB he will be that way. 

And honestly I think we all should be fine with that. 

I'm just spit balling in a dream world here but my best case scenario for this year is a poor man's version of the 04 "stillers". I live right on the outskirts of stiller country so ive seen a ton of that guy. Maybe the Defense takes that next step. Offense has a great run game and the rookie needs to make 3 or 4 WOW plays a game... and honestly the coaches and defense protected big Ben from himself up until about 2010 or 11. If we are thinking long haul here it may be that way for quite some time. Try and make sure the other units can pick up the slack while Allen gets his footing. If we are lucky he's around long enough for us to see that 10-12 year transformation. 

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

why would you doubt that he would not be cool with backing Baker by 2019 or longer ? seems a reasonable trajectory to me. : )

Well, he rates himself as a starter, and another QB needy team will roll the dice on him as a bridge/insurance policy for at least one year, and unlike the Browns they won’t have to give up a draft pick to do so..

Several things:

1.  I'm still not convinced about Tyrod, but once they benched him for Peterman, he had to go.   That was a clear vote of no confidence, and there was no going back.

2.  I sincerely hope he succeeds in Cleveland or somewhere else.   He's committed to his craft, he works hard, and I like to see that work ethic rewarded.

3.  Tyrod is a quality guy.   Some guys would have griped somewhere along the line, on his way out the door, if not earlier, but he wouldn't do that.  This latest comment isn't griping; it's just a statement of his confidence in himself and his recognition that the Bills had a different view.   

I've written before about my good friend who lived next door to Tyrod on Main Street most of the time Tyrod was in Buffalo.  They had the only two apartments on their floor.   She's 92, and she's a big fan.   Recently she told me that one day she was in the lobby of their building with her wheel-chair-bound granddaughter.  Some other people were there, too.  Tyrod got off the elevator, in a hurry to go someplace.   People recognized him and wanted to talk, but he was headed straight for the door.   Then he saw my friend and her granddaughter, stopped and came over to talk with the girl.   No one asked him to stop; he just wouldn't leave with giving the girl a few minutes of his time.   When he finished chatting, he was out the door and gone.  

Good luck, TT.  

• Like (+1) 2

If we hadn't had a regime change TT would likely have been given a longer lease on the starting QB job. He got us a post season berth and in any other circumstance would have been rewarded somehow. I am grateful for his service to our team and will always think of him as a class act.

I also still think he is more talented than he has shown us so far. I think he was playing in a tight box and coached out of improvising. He's going to have a long career in the vein of McCown or Fitz and if he gets with a coach who can maximize his skills, look out. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

And honestly I think we all should be fine with that. 

I'm just spit balling in a dream world here but my best case scenario for this year is a poor man's version of the 04 "stillers". I live right on the outskirts of stiller country so ive seen a ton of that guy. Maybe the Defense takes that next step. Offense has a great run game and the rookie needs to make 3 or 4 WOW plays a game... and honestly the coaches and defense protected big Ben from himself up until about 2010 or 11. If we are thinking long haul here it may be that way for quite some time. Try and make sure the other units can pick up the slack while Allen gets his footing. If we are lucky he's around long enough for us to see that 10-12 year transformation. 

Yes, I agree that we should be fine with Gunner's comment - the offense will be, and should be, conservative until the Bills have an offense that can win opening it up. 

And I agree very much about the Steelers protecting Ben.  Ben was something of a train wreck for several seasons off the field, and the Steelers had a lot of patience with him.   I don't think Allen is likely to be an off-field problem, but it may take a while to get him up to speed as an NFL starter.   McDermott is likely to be patient, so long as Allen is working at his craft and improving.