Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Compared to McCarron Taylor is probably objectively correct, and IMO that belief is probably one of the main reasons he was shipped out.  If Taylor were benched for a rookie who then struggled, Taylor might have been outspoken about it and even brought up the race card as he did last fall, which would have been divisive to the team.  I think in the Bills opinion, McCarron is much more likely to be a "good soldier" about any coaching decisions the team makes.

Regarding that playoff game, one might wish to consider that Bortles was 34-155 with 75 yd net passing.  "But Bortles sucks too !" you might say, except that he sucked to the tune of hanging up 378 yds on the Steelers and 374 on the Pats in subsequent games.  My point is JUST MAYBE the weather conditions in Jax had something to do with the passing performance on both sides in that game.

My opinion is Bills wanted to go with a more traditional styled QB. Knew they were going to draft one early. AJ is a good fit to develop Dabolls offense for a year till the Rookie steps up.

Best for all parties.

ps i see no negative in the quote.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cd1 said:

Seriously?  It makes me shudder to think of a professional athlete thinking that mediocre is "enough".

Thanks Tyrod, but no thanks. 

No, mediocre was more than enough in TT's view.  And with TT's penchant for leaving plays on the field, "mediocre" could be an overstatement of his play.  The guy had his moments, I'll give him that, but I just don't think he can carry a franchise.  I feel much better about our QB roster this season - much better.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, gjv001 said:

If the Browns management lets Taylor play, given the quality of talent around him, he will probably get Cleveland into the playoffs this season. 

and thats a huge move upward. Fans will be delighted if they just break even !!

He should do okay there. They need the culture change as much as we did.

Hard worker team player

23 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I liked Tyrod and wish him all the best, however the Bills have moved on and I’m fine with that...

Wonder where he will be in 2019?

Doubt it will be with Cleveland getting paid back up money behind Baker..

why would you doubt that he would not be cool with backing Baker by 2019 or longer ? seems a reasonable trajectory to me. : )

4 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

This threads going 7 pages. Easy.

At least theres news today. Im not complaining.

As for OP. Tyrod did enough to stay but theres too much bad blood with the benching and too much controversy potential in a tt vs allen camp battle. The team respected Tyrod they played harder for him in that San Diego game it was obvious. That type of attitude from the team wouldnt work with what were trying to do with a franchise qb. He had to go for us to grow as a team. Its that simple. And Tyrods my dog. I hope he steps his game up big time this year or next no matter what team he lands on except for the pats or fish. This year is crucial for Tyrod,  its either gonna make or break him. Its his contract year and hes going up against the afc north who have always had his number, and hes got a #1 QB drooling at the starting position right on his coat tails. The CoT has spoken. Pastor McFly in the building. Amen

And yes im still down with OPP.

To me it wasnt about "doing enough to stay" yes I think there is evidence of that......starting qb for a playoff team.....his production was steady.....etc etc

The PROBLEM with all of that is the bills dont want to  be a fringe playoff team.....McD wants better....this was the draft to make a move for a qb because the talent actually made sense to do it.....

Also I think that the bills just got tired of "biulding an offense TT could run" and wanted the ability to run different types of offense.....

I have no problem with the move when it was made....especially the fact that we got the 3rd round pick for him (I was floored by that)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He's certainly not going to say, "Yeah, I understand why they dumped me." Instead, he found a diplomatic way to say, "It just didn't work out, so we're both moving on."

Hopefully he WILL understand when he is benched again for a rookie this season.

Tyrod will NEVER again be a starting NFL QB except as a placeholder or injury replacement.  

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

My opinion is Bills wanted to go with a more traditional styled QB. Knew they were going to draft one early. AJ is a good fit to develop Dabolls offense for a year till the Rookie steps up.

Best for all parties.

ps i see no negative in the quote.

Fixed!  

• Like (+1) 1

Tyrod is, and always has been, a little in denial regarding the strengths and weaknesses of his game.

His absolute reluctance to throw the football, among other faults, will always make him a fringe player right on the edge of being a starter or a backup.

His ceiling was nicely displayed last year.  

5 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

Hopefully he WILL understand when he is benched again for a rookie this season.

Tyrod will NEVER again be a starting NFL QB except as a placeholder or injury replacement.  

Fixed!  

grumpy olde man            1

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

Posted by Charean Williams on June 1, 2018, 9:06 PM EDT
pft2-e1527901563283.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop
AP

Tyrod Taylor felt he did “more than enough to stay” in Buffalo, but Bills coach Sean McDermott made a decision to move on. Taylor now is the starter in Cleveland for however long he is the starter in Cleveland, and AJ McCarron and Josh Allen have arrived in Buffalo.

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News asked Taylor when he realized he wasn’t McDermott’s guy.

“Whether I was or whether I wasn’t, I’m not there anymore,” Taylor said. “That’s his decision moving forward. I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay where I was. But at the end of the day, they made a decision to move forward, and that’s their decision.”

Taylor said McDermott and General Manager Brandon Beane kept him informed of trade talks before the Bills sent him to the Browns on March 9. He said the phone conversation informing him of the trade “wasn’t a bad one.”

“There was actually a positive energy on both sides,” Taylor said.

Taylor has moved on like the Bills have moved on, ready to try to do in Cleveland what he did in Buffalo in helping end the Bills’ long playoff drought.

“I’m excited, happy with the place that I’m at now and the team that I’m playing for, and I’m excited about the opportunity,” he said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/01/tyrod-taylor-i-still-feel-that-id-done-more-than-enough-to-stay/

guess that one touchdown a game  wasn't enough

Well, under other circumstances he absolutely did. 

But his problem was that he was playing with a new regime that was very clearly devoted to drafting a Franchise QB in this year's draft. You knew it before Taylor even hit the field for OTAs when they traded back last year. That combined with a fairly mediocre year on his part (due to some circumstances he had no control over and some he did) and a very top-heavy QB class that would ultimately see 4 QBs drafted in the top 10 combined with (and this, I believe, is the main reason he's gone) getting the 65th pick in the draft for more legitmate ammunition to trade up for "our guy" is the reason he's not in Buffalo.

And the great thing is that both sides are happy about it, or at least appear to be so. Once again in that interview Taylor really shows he's a class act when he talks about the conversation he had regarding the trade.

I think this was just win win for both sides. 

I think Taylor will never be a legit Franchise QB, but if you surround him with enough weapons, he can look like one. And it's weird to say, but Cleveland now has better weapons than Taylor ever had in Buffalo.

And I think Buffalo found the guy they believe can/will be a legitimate Franchise QB for the next 10-15 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm very curious to see how the Cleveland offense looks this year. They're obviously going to build an offense that plays off of Tyrod's strengths (something Dennisom didn't even try), and he'll be supported by Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Nick Chubb, Carlos Hyde, and David Njoku. I still like Hue Jackson as a playcaller. It should be the most exciting offense they've had in years unless Tyrod totally craps the bed.

I think Taylor is going to have a year similar or better than 2015.

The issue with the Taylor dilemma was always that you need to make the decision to build around him with a strong supporting cast if you wanted him to be your QB for more than 5 years. Buffalo waffled on that decision for 3 years. Now, Cleveland isn't building around Taylor, obviously, but all those weapons you mentioned are at least conservatively on par with but probably better than what Taylor had at Buffalo's peak in offensive talent in 2015.

This move was great for Taylor, and I think he knows it. But the wonderful thing is that it's also looking like it could be even better for Buffalo.

I think people need to just set aside their bitterness via hatred or homerism and move on. 

Tyrod did do enough to stay - he can absolutely play NFL football.  He just didn't do enough to have a QB drafted to replace him.  

Then it came down to him not passing enough,  the opportunity to get a draft pick and the $18 mil he would have made.  

• Like (+1) 1

"I don't personally look over my shoulder," Taylor said. "I can't control things that are out of my reach, out of my touch. I can control only the things that I do daily -- my preparation, my effort, my energy, my execution. But I can't walk around and lead in the way I'm supposed to if I'm worried or looking over my shoulder.

-------------------------------------------------------

Actually Tyrod, your execution is the one thing you had no control over. McDermott, Beane and the Bills fan base were the axe bearers when your execution was carried out. You're a good dude and I wish you well in Cleveland if you can beat out Mayfield but the only part of your game I'll miss is the way you used to scramble and make something out of nothing. Let the Allen era begin! Go Bills!

Edited by billsbackto81

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh I agree.  

Remember 300 - the meme that wouldn’t end 

that all started because I said I’d like to see Tyrod pass for 300 yards more than a few times a season. 

Then his fans fans started in with his “great” stats. 

[BAs you know - a game is is more than stats.  [/b]

You wanted to see certain stats from Taylor, others respond with stats, you respond with "a game is more stats."

tenor.gif?itemid=4514176

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm really tired of this argument.  Per you, Drew Brees should have been thrown out of the league after 2003: 3 games under 100 passing yards and 4 more under 200 yds (an additional game that just squeaked over that benchmark 202), out of only 11 games started.  Average of only 191 yds passing.  Brees clearly wasn't doing enough to stay on an NFL team.  Ship the bum out of town.  Next year, pro bowl, "comeback player of the year".  Two years later, moves to N'Orleans and the rest is history.

I'm not arguing that the Bills should have kept Tyrod nor that he's Drew Brees, just that the criteria cited are (based on history) not good benchmarks for whether or not a guy is capable of quality QB play in the NFL.

Well said. If all you got out of Tyrod's 3 years were 2 poor games, then you must have an extremely short memory. He was a big part of breaking the drought wether you like it or not. However, our goal isn't the wildcard game, it is the Superbowl. 

Both sides have moved on, time for us to as well. 

5 hours ago, H2o said:

I think Tyrod liked it here. He liked his teammates. Everyone liked him as well. We gave him 3 years. After those 3 years you still saw the same limitations. One can argue that this past year he had absolutely no weapons. Watkins traded, Woods and Goodwin leave via FA, then the guys we had either underachieved or missed multiple games due to injury. But when watching Tyrod play, you still see the same limitations no matter who is on the field. Great guy, high character, hard worker, great teammate, and gave it his all on the field. He just isn't that Franchise QB we have needed. He hasn't shown in those 3 years the ability to carry a team with his arm. Even now, in this statement, I don't see this as him whining or complaining. I think it is just him expressing his thoughts. Best of luck to Tyrod in Cleveland, except if they ever face us. :thumbsup:

Here we go again : "you still see the same limitations no matter who is on the field"

Really? Taylor had Watkins and Woods on the field only fifteen games over two years. That's only time he ever played with a legitimate number One & Two receiver of decent NFL grade. His remaining time as a Bill he had receivers delivered to the stadium by ambulance from the local intensive care ward. Or scrappings from other team's practice squad. Plus one very over-whelmed under-performing rookie. So, I guess it's informative to see how he performed those 15 games in '15 and '16 :

• 63.6% comp. 8.25 ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 int

Of course that's an imperfect yardstick to grade a quarterback even if it addresses the comment above, so perhaps it's better to take the single season of '15, when Taylor was 7th by NFL passer rating and averaged 8 yards an attempt. Here's the bottom line :

• Taylor gets no credit here for playing well the very limited time the Bills put a decent offensive team around him.
  • Taylor gets no credit here for wins, which supposedly (always) had nothing to do with him. Strangely, the exact opposite was true of losses
  • Taylor gets no credit here for the Bills going to the playoffs. No contribution whatsoever......

So you'd think it's impossible for Taylor to get any credit at all, but that shows a poor understanding of Billsy Mentality. There's one exception :

• Success on another team.

Edited by grb