Tyrod Taylor: I still feel that I’d done more than enough to stay

HOUSE

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So he was capable, just not good enough to elevate the rest of the offense. We saw what a QB who isn't capable of making reads under pressure looks like last year, but it wasn't Tyrod.

Well, I'm not sure there's much of a difference between sacks, INT's and incompletions if we're talking about reads under pressure.  All three can be a direct result of being unable to make a correct read and throw.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Well, I'm not sure there's much of a difference between sacks, INT's and incompletions if we're talking about reads under pressure.  All three can be a direct result of being unable to make a correct read and throw.

You don't think there's much of a difference between a turnover and keeping possession of the football? You don't think there's much of a difference in opponent's field position for a punt and a turnover in your end of the field? You don't think there's much of a difference between keeping the game within 10 points for 3 quarters and handing the opponents a 30 point lead by halftime?

Seriously?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You don't think there's much of a difference between a turnover and keeping possession of the football? You don't think there's much of a difference in opponent's field position for a punt and a turnover in your end of the field? You don't think there's much of a difference between keeping the game within 10 points for 3 quarters and handing the opponents a 30 point lead by halftime?

Seriously?

I knew you were gonna say that.  There's a clear difference between the result of those plays.  But ALL of those plays can result of not being able to make a correct read and throw.  Let me give an example.

Player A misses the easy read on a flood pattern and throws to the wrong guy.  Pick.

Player B misses the easy read on a flood pattern and get sacked from behind because he hesitated.  Sack.

The results of both plays are different, and I agree with you 1000% (because that's obvious), but both plays resulted from not being able to make the correct read.  

Am I being more clear?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

I knew you were gonna say that.  There's a clear difference between the result of those plays.  But ALL of those plays can result of not being able to make a correct read and throw.  Let me give an example.

Player A misses the easy read on a flood pattern and throws to the wrong guy.  Pick.

Player B misses the easy read on a flood pattern and get sacked from behind because he hesitated.  Sack.

The results of both plays are different, and I agree with you 1000% (because that's obvious), but both plays resulted from not being able to make the correct read.  

Am I being more clear?

That only works on the whole if you think that every play is going to be a net positive. There are certainly plays, especially when the pocket is collapsing that quickly (NYJ & LAC), where the correct thing to do is ensure ball security and take the sack. Also, several of the sacks were after Tyrod extended the play and the play had broken down, and at least 1 was for no loss. You can go through those clips from the article in the other post if you'd like, but the issue in the Jets game wasn't his reads under pressure. It was a complete and total meltdown of the OL on a short week resulting in a pathetic run game and a higher percentage of busted plays due to a lack of time/adjustment.

There is a large gap between good and 'not able to' that several folks here like to pretend doesn't exist. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

That only works on the whole if you think that every play is going to be a net positive. There are certainly plays, especially when the pocket is collapsing that quickly (NYJ & LAC), where the correct thing to do is ensure ball security and take the sack. Also, several of the sacks were after Tyrod extended the play and the play had broken down, and at least 1 was for no loss. You can go through those clips from the article in the other post if you'd like, but the issue in the Jets game wasn't his reads under pressure. It was a complete and total meltdown of the OL on a short week resulting in a pathetic run game and a higher percentage of busted plays due to a lack of time/adjustment.

There is a large gap between good and 'not able to' that several folks here like to pretend doesn't exist. 

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery subjective depending on the play. Sometimes there's no play to be made. Sometimes there's a play a really good QB could make.  

That large gap is consistency, IMO.  I think every QB in the NFL CAN make a good read and correct throw.  But do they do that 50% of the time or 90% of the time.  That's the difference between fringe starters and franchise guys. But sometimes, for the sake of brevity, you say "can't" when you mean "can't with enough consistency."

Edited by BringBackOrton

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery subjective depending on the play. Sometimes there's no play to be made. Sometimes there's a play a really good QB could make.  

That large gap is consistency, IMO.  I think every QB in the NFL CAN make a good read and correct throw.  But do they do that 50% of the time or 90% of the time.  That's the difference between fringe starters and franchise guys.

Agreed. A different discussion, but agreed.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Did any of you actually watch the game? There was no semblance of a run game (because the OL got dominated), but Rico refused to let it go.

With 3 minutes left in the first half Tyrod had thrown only 10 passes (7/10 for 69 yards and 1 TD). That's inexcusable when your RBs have combined for 38 yards in that same time span. In the final 3 minutes of the half he was 4/5 for 46, and Matthews fumbled on the Jets 31 yard line with a minute left. So first half he was 11/15 for 115 and 1 TD and the score was 7-10. (7.67 YPA, 117.4 Passer Rating)

2nd half started with 2 runs for 1 net yard and then an incompletion. Next drive starts with a 9 yard completion before McCoy loses 5 yards on a run. After that we're pinned deep and we run for 0, false start to put us inside our own 5, incomplete, and then a scramble just to get us out of our end zone. Next drive (now 7-24) Tyrod starts 3/3 for 39 yards before O'Leary fumbles around the Jets 30 yard line. I'll call it there. That's the drive they needed to keep the game within 10 points with a quarter to go.

At that point, he was 12/19 for 151 and a TD. That's good for 7.95 YPA and a 105.4 Passer Rating. If you're surprised that his pass attempts went up when we got further behind in the score then I'm not sure what to say. But with the increased workload in the 4th his YPA dropped some as expected with increased attempts and his passer rating went up slightly. He also finished as the teams leading rusher on just 6 carries.

Also, since none of you seemed to pick up on it, the whole point of my post was directed at the false notion that "Tyrod is not able to make a quick read under pressure". If he was truly not capable of such things, he wouldn't have been 12/19 for 151 and a TD. If he wasn't capable of making a read under pressure he may have been 6/14 for 66 yards, 0 TDs and 5 INTs.

Come on Hokie, stop trying to confuse us with facts :)

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

its obvious theres a lot you don't get.... or watch the first portion of that game for that matter. 

I have determined that there are a lot of TBDers that judge all things on stats and sty!e points as opposed to wins and playoff appearances.

18 hours ago, grb said:

This argument :

BringBackOrton : "Taylor did nothing in the Jets game until garbage time"

BuffaloHokie13 : "Taylor played well the entire Jets game, including before garbage time"

BringBackOrton : "So part of the time he played well was in garbage time like I said"

Really? That's your point? 

Smoked by Josh Mccown, no longer employed with the Buffalo Bills.   

Whats your point ? 

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Smoked by Josh Mccown, no longer employed with the Buffalo Bills.   

Whats your point ? 

Don't really have one.

I'm just collecting quotes to bump after the season begins.........

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, ShadyBillsFan said:

Actually, not he can't.   and that is why I see this 

You've chosen to ignore content by transplantbillsfan. Options 

Yet here we are arguing then the still faithful why he's gone.  They had a full season to get used to the idea yet they clung onto the idea he'd remain.  

The Bills would have cut TT by June 1 regardless imo. 

The day TT got benched for an all important game against the Chargers was the day he was destined to be gone in 2018.  

Oh holy hell... did you legitimately just brag about ignoring me and then directly quote me in the same post?!

tenor.gif?itemid=3571118

Shady, you're too funny. I'm so glad your rep is so high :flirt:

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

blob.png.146550e702d0eb617636e34d6d9b79d3.png  along with blob.png.355a35291191349b27373c86363b3ef2.png

...LMAO!!....nice job "Mr. Cut 'N Paste".........incomprehensible that people won't admit that (unfortunately) the passing game was never going to become a viable offensive THREAT, especially downfield....our WR's grew moss from inactivity and had a better shot at seeing an apple from the stands BEFORE the pigskin......hope Hugh helps the lad turn it around and he move closer to the next level...

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO!!....nice job "Mr. Cut 'N Paste".........incomprehensible that people won't admit that (unfortunately) the passing game was never going to become a viable offensive THREAT, especially downfield....our WR's grew moss from inactivity and had a better shot at seeing an apple from the stands BEFORE the pigskin......hope Hugh helps the lad turn it around and he move closer to the next level...

Quote :  "......the passing game was never going to become a viable offensive THREAT, especially downfield"

This is where the anti-Taylor shtick gets bizarre. The only time the man had a downfield threat he was fifth in the NFL in yards per attempt. Hell, whenever Taylor had Woods and Watkins on the same field, he averaged 8.25 yards per pass, which is exceptional for any quarterback, any year. But in 2016 his number-one receiver / downfield threat sat half the season and ran on a broken left foot when he did play. All of latter '16 his number-two receiver was severely hobbled as well. And in 2017?  He had Deonte Thompson, which is all you need to say about that

The anti-Taylor position seems to be this : It's a gosh-darn coincidence Taylor's ability to push the ball downfield reduced exactly as the quality of his offensive weapons dropped lower and lower. The two phenomena have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Instead Taylor "regressed" and he now can't do something he did better than most qbs just a short time ago. The ability vanished from his body the exact same time (coincidence) he was saddled with one of the league-worst sets of receivers.

So, two questions :

1. Do even the anti-Taylor people believe something so stupid?
  2. Is it finally time for team and fans to grow up? Because the Bills now have a quarterback that looks like they think a quarterback should : first-rounder, tall, strong-armed, etc, etc, etc. But so far they've made no greater effort to set him up to succeed than with Taylor. It's not all bad news - the O coordinator has to be better, and running back depth isn't the perverse joke of last year - but line and receivers will probably prove mediocre to abysmal. Yet maybe this is the point team and fans face the responsibility of building for success in the real world, as opposed to playing BS games, indulging in stupid&petty recriminations and wallowing in empty fantasy.

The Bills have their "real" quarterback - but with real quarterbacks comes great responsibility (to paraphrase Voltaire or Peter Parker) 

Edited by grb
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, grb said:

Quote :  "......the passing game was never going to become a viable offensive THREAT, especially downfield"

This is where the anti-Taylor shtick gets bizarre. The only time the man had a downfield threat he was fifth in the NFL in yards per attempt. Hell, whenever Taylor had Woods and Watkins on the same field, he averaged 8.25 yards per pass, which is exceptional for any quarterback, any year. But in 2016 his number-one receiver / downfield threat sat half the season and ran on a broken left foot when he did play. All of latter '16 his number-two receiver was severely hobbled as well. And in 2017?  He had Deonte Thompson, which is all you need to say about that

The anti-Taylor position seems to be this : It's a gosh-darn coincidence Taylor's ability to push the ball downfield reduced exactly as the quality of his offensive weapons dropped lower and lower. The two phenomena have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Instead Taylor "regressed" and he now can't do something he did better than most qbs just a short time ago. The ability vanished from his body the exact same time (coincidence) he was saddled with one of the league-worst sets of receivers.

So, two questions :

2. Is it finally time for team and fans to grow up? Because the Bills now have a quarterback that looks like they think a quarterback should : first-rounder, tall, strong-armed, etc, etc, etc. But so far they've made no greater effort to set him up to succeed than with Taylor. It's not all bad news - the O coordinator has to be better, and running back depth isn't the perverse joke of last year - but line and receivers will probably prove mediocre to abysmal. Yet maybe this is the point team and fans face the responsibility of building for success in the real world, as opposed to playing BS games, indulging in stupid&petty recriminations and wallowing in empty fantasy.

The Bills have their "real" quarterback - but with real quarterbacks comes great responsibility (to paraphrase Voltaire or Peter Parker) 

Thank you for posting this. Seems folks just plain forgot that when Bills had  Watkins Robert and even that little really fast guy who would catch some deep passes on the field good things did happen and was fun to watch.

But then

All of them were injured at one time or another. Multiple injuries for Robert. That groin thing he played through ! 

and then they let all Tyrods receivers go. he never bitched btw.

32 minutes ago, grb said:

So, two questions :

...CANNOT be stated any more eloquently....despite his supreme efforts it did not work....hope Hugh can hone his skills and get him moving towards the next level...no harm no foul here....