WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

How hard would it be to have commercials play when they're supposed to? Unsubscribe.

You do understand it's all done by computer. There's no human engineer firing spots on the app. Whatever software there is anticipates when the WGR breaks come up, then plugs in different spots. One HUGE reason they do this is not just covering up local spots. If any commercial with a SAG/AFTRA voice gets streamed WGR (or by any webcaster) they are on the hook for a huge royalty fee.

11 hours ago, dhg said:

I am in the same boat as you. Not really digging the new app.

One thing both the TuneIn and old WGR apps did is they re-started on-demand audio when you got back in your car. Say I have the morning show on demand streaming in my car. I get out for a few minutes and return. The app would just pick up where it left off. Not so with the amazing Radio.com app. It's a feature I got to depend on.

I am having a problem with the new app and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and may know how to fix it.  When I download it initially it works fine.  I even signed up with a user name and password.

The problem is the next time I try to use the app.  I will open it up and there is nothing to click on.  Just faint outlines of boxes but no WGR or any other radio station.  The only way I can then listen is to delete, download again, and sign in.  That is a pain in the butt to do every time and it takes time.

Anyone else have this problem?

Any way to fix it?

Edited by Peter

8 hours ago, Peter said:

I am having a problem with the new app and was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem and may know how to fix it.  When I download it initially it works fine.  I even signed up with a user name and password.

The problem is the next time I try to use the app.  I will open it up and there is nothing to click on.  Just faint outlines of boxes but no WGR or any other radio station.  The only way I can then listen is to delete, download again, and sign in.  That is a pain in the butt to do every time and it takes time.

Any way to fix it?

i am not having that issue at all.I like so many only have the issue of the stream being restarted. I would say if you download the podcast a little better

You can always stream from wgr.com on your phone's browser, too. Aside from the app not being amazing, there seems to be quite a lag in when content is uploaded. Sometimes it's hours before the 6a hour is in the app. That part is probably human. 

7 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

You can always stream from wgr.com on your phone's browser, too. Aside from the app not being amazing, there seems to be quite a lag in when content is uploaded. Sometimes it's hours before the 6a hour is in the app. That part is probably human. 

This is what I do.  Go to WGR's mobile site and stream from there.  Radio.com & I❤️radio apps really really suck.

8 hours ago, Peter said:

Any way to fix it?

Does it work better on wifi than mobile data? I have the same problem. My guess is the app has to download a ton of stuff in order to work each time. If your mobile data is lacking at all where you are it takes forever to start.

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Any way to fix it?

I have had this issue but in all cases it was an issue with my data/wifi. Killing the app and restarting usually solves it. If you've downloaded the segment it should still be available on the Subscriptions tab. 

2018-07-03_9-20-32.jpg

52 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Does it work better on wifi than mobile data? I have the same problem. My guess is the app has to download a ton of stuff in order to work each time. If your mobile data is lacking at all where you are it takes forever to start.

10 minutes ago, CBend said:

I have had this issue but in all cases it was an issue with my data/wifi. Killing the app and restarting usually solves it. If you've downloaded the segment it should still be available on the Subscriptions tab. 

2018-07-03_9-20-32.jpg

Problems with App

Thanks guys.  The weird thing is that, if I delete the app and then set it up again, there is no issue the first time I listen. The problem happens when I go back sometime later and try to use the app and, not only does it not work, there is nothing for me to click on.  I end up deleting it and downloading it again.  It is very frustrating.  This also would suggest that it is not a data issue.

Alexa: Radio.com v. Tune In

I also wonder if I still will be able to listen to WGR on Alexa once they leave Tune In.

This is an example of change not being for the best.

This is kind of like Directv deciding to change a perfectly fine interface on the TV and making it worse.

Edited by Peter

14 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I quit listening. The new app is not to my liking. 

Same here, I started slowly not tuning in due to some of personalities becoming more and more insufferable, but this just helped deter me from tuning in at all even for interviews I want to listen too. 

I just listen to the Bills beat podcast. 

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is kind of like Directv deciding to change a perfectly fine interface on the TV and making it worse.

@PromoTheRobot been playing around today going in and out of car and listening directly from phone and then connecting via bluetooth in the car. I downloaded the podcast, then when I was going to change sources I made sure to pause the playback. Seems to be working. When you look at the phone, it will look like it went back to the beginning, but when you hit play will come back to whence you stopped.

Peter, I am 100% with you on the Directv thing. I cannot for the life of me figure out there the " to do" list is located now.

• Like (+1) 1

I get text messages that just plain disappear.

If I don't see it when it comes across then they are not on my phone.

They sent me the message that Sabres C ROR traded...and then...nothing.  I went to go look online or via twitter to see who or what he was traded to and for.

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I get text messages that just plain disappear.

If I don't see it when it comes across then they are not on my phone.

They sent me the message that Sabres C ROR traded...and then...nothing.  I went to go look online or via twitter to see who or what he was traded to and for.

Somebody find Neo.  We're back in Mandela Effect territory.  ?

I do a lot of programming, so I understand that interfaces have to change to account for new tech. But I have yet to figure out what if any improvement having the DTV interface change. Needless to say I really despise it.

I stopped going to the radio.com app on my phone. I go to WGR's website and select what I want to hear and let it open the app for me. It seems way easier.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MikeSpeed said:

I do a lot of programming, so I understand that interfaces have to change to account for new tech. But I have yet to figure out what if any improvement having the DTV interface change. Needless to say I really despise it.

I stopped going to the radio.com app on my phone. I go to WGR's website and select what I want to hear and let it open the app for me. It seems way easier.

this is what i do, and i just get mad every time. my phone is apparently not compatible with the radio.com app, so this is the only thing i can do. all it does is make me really, really wonder why they couldn't have left well enough alone. with the wgr app, i listened all the time. now i am a very, very casual listener. and the less i listen, the less i mind that i am not listening. and that is not necessarily a good thing.

It used to be for me that a change in technology was a pain but then I would get it - I'd see the improvement.  I swear over the last 4-5 years - every change ends up being worse.  I think I'm going thru a learning curve like I used to  - but no, it never ends up being better! 

6 hours ago, bbb said:

It used to be for me that a change in technology was a pain but then I would get it - I'd see the improvement.  I swear over the last 4-5 years - every change ends up being worse.  I think I'm going thru a learning curve like I used to  - but no, it never ends up being better! 

The new app has its plus and minuses.. I really like the download option..that is great on regional planes with no wifi .  And I get why Entercom would prefer to maintain one app vs one for every like 200 stations they own. I am sure the bugs will get worked out by football season.

The DTV interface..I have yet to find one good thing about it.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

The new app has its plus and minuses.. I really like the download option..that is great on regional planes with no wifi .  And I get why Entercom would prefer to maintain one app vs one for every like 200 stations they own. I am sure the bugs will get worked out by football season.

I doubt football season is their priority.