WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com

17 hours ago, Idandria said:

Personally, I’ve always used the Tunein radio app to steam WGR and other upstate NY radio stations when I need my fix. 

It it works great; I highly recommend. 

https://tunein.com/

Idandria you are a superstar! Just downloaded it and it works in the UK! I honestly was pretty pissed about the idea of not being able to listen to WGR during camp and the season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

"WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com"

I pretty much ditched WGR. Like WBEN, the local talking heads are so redundant.

It's like watching marathon replays of a singular show on 2nd & 3rd rate cable stations.   

Only local on either I enjoy is Tony Caligiuri and his cohorts on High School sports, Sat. 10 a.m.

Only issue i've noticed on the Radio.com app is it seems like the hourly segments are very slow to get uploaded onto the app. On the WGR app they were typically up within 20 minutes, right now Hour 1 is not up from this morning and it ended 2 and a half hours ago. Maybe something that will get worked out. 

I like that i can download full episodes to my phone and listen to them as I without having to use data etc. Also I like the ability to use the 15 second skip. 

When Entercom purchased CBS Radio the acquired the Radio app and Radio.com which CBS used as the app for all their stations so this makes sense from a financial stand point but it is disappointing from a customer perspective.  I always like more choices and I enjoyed the WGR app's focus on Buffalo news as well as rebroadcasts of the shows. 

28 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

"WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com"

I pretty much ditched WGR. Like WBEN, the local talking heads are so redundant.

It's like watching marathon replays of a singular show on 2nd & 3rd rate cable stations.   

Only local on either I enjoy is Tony Caligiuri and his cohorts on High School sports, Sat. 10 a.m.

Thanks for your input on the WGR app and its alternatives. 

The new app works fine for me, and if I listen on my computer I just use the website it's a lot easier.

The new app's lag/loading/buffer time is a LOT less than the old app.  I like it a lot better.

And it's a little tricky at first to find the on demand and podcast stuff but it's there.  

Is it just me or does everyone have a really hard time with change these days?  

20 hours ago, Idandria said:

Personally, I’ve always used the Tunein radio app to steam WGR and other upstate NY radio stations when I need my fix. 

It it works great; I highly recommend. 

https://tunein.com/

I really only use the WGR app to listen to the archived material.  I love tunein, but I don't think it has that, does it?

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I really only use the WGR app to listen to the archived material.  I love tunein, but I don't think it has that, does it?

It does not. I like listening sometime on Tunein because it allows me to pause and buffer live radio, but most of my listening is via OnDemand and that was not part of TuneIn.

The Radio.com app is good in that it's easy to use, has all the recorded content and stories, but I would have liked live radio pause.

On another note, why the hell does WGR not have an FM Simulcast. I can't imagine anyone actually listens in their home on an AM radio.

3 minutes ago, theesir said:

It does not. I like listening sometime on Tunein because it allows me to pause and buffer live radio, but most of my listening is via OnDemand and that was not part of TuneIn.

The Radio.com app is good in that it's easy to use, has all the recorded content and stories, but I would have liked live radio pause.

On another note, why the hell does WGR not have an FM Simulcast. I can't imagine anyone actually listens in their home on an AM radio.

Thanks..............And, I do listen to GR on AM in my home.  But, I also get the Buffalo News delivered every day! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Thanks..............And, I do listen to GR on AM in my home.  But, I also get the Buffalo News delivered every day! 

do you yearn for fireside chats by the radio too?

One other I don't like ..listening to something on demand via stream in the car..turn off car , when return that stream starts right from the beginning again...kind of a pain!

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

One other I don't like ..listening to something on demand via stream in the car..turn off car , when return that stream starts right from the beginning again...kind of a pain!

Weird. On my phone, on-demand audio picks up where it left off.  (Still using the old app.)

57 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Tunein works well. Best part is it allows you to pause live.

Best feature of that app, IMO. Also resumes from where you left off when you turn the car off and back on.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Same thing happens with AM radio.  I turn on GR, turn it off, turn it on an hour later, and they're talking about the same thing again.

• Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Has anyone used this yet. I have the headphone icons on the top of the phone and no matter how many times I close it it comes back up.

You have to go to settings and scroll to the bottom to close the app.