WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com

I have never liked the WGR app. The layout isn’t terribly user friendly. For the longest time the play button was difficult to get to. And now it disappears if you’re reading any of the articles while listening. 

I don’t know much about Radio.com but I’m willing to give it a go. Hopefully it works with CarPlay too. That’d be a nice extra feature. 

The WGR app always had critical refresh bugs that were annoying. 

You can mimick the functionality by favoriting the individual podcasts for the individual shows within the app. There is even a "latest" podcast you can like. Then just go to your podcast tab. Pretty easy. 

3 hours ago, SDS said:

Probably has to do with GDPR

For those who do not know (It implies that the company is gathering info which would be against law in EU):

The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Im sitting in Heathrow right now and I can’t get to Reddit. 

EU is creating their own embargo.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I wonder why they wouldn't just keep the app they had? Why would they feel a need to change?

Usually because company does not want to either pay to maintain it or pay the license fee to owner.

Just wish they would make the Podcasts for entire shows, not just 1 hour blocks that play in reverse order on autoplay.  Unless I'm missing something to fix that.  So annoying to me that if I'm listening it goes from hour 2 to hour 1 instead of hour 3 on autoplay.  And I'll also get interviews in between that I have already heard in the full hour.  It's the simple things that improve user experiences, increase visits, and, in turn, advertising revenues. 

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

The going backwards autoplay always stumped me as well. I have also always wonder why they did not insert podcast type advertising into the on-demand pods..must be a reason for that.

Going for a run in a few, will try the radio.com app for the first time

(edit) Problems I had with radio.com today

1) When switching from bluetooth in car to just speaker on the phone, stream goes back like 5 minutes..can only fast forward in 15 seconds increments. The fast forward button takes you to next podcast.

2) Cant manually move it forward/backwards either

3) i was using on stream, was going to try to download but i cannot get the "download on wifi only" to switch to off..any suggestions?

Edited by plenzmd1

26 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Personally, I’ve always used the Tunein radio app to steam WGR and other upstate NY radio stations when I need my fix. 

It it works great; I highly recommend. 

https://tunein.com/

Yeah, I use it once in awhile to listen to The Lake too... never a problem.

On 6/2/2018 at 8:38 AM, plenzmd1 said:

(edit) Problems I had with radio.com today

1) When switching from bluetooth in car to just speaker on the phone, stream goes back like 5 minutes..can only fast forward in 15 seconds increments. The fast forward button takes you to next podcast.

2) Cant manually move it forward/backwards either

3) i was using on stream, was going to try to download but i cannot get the "download on wifi only" to switch to off..any suggestions?

Send $7.99 for a cassette tape copy of the show, with the date and show you're requesting? ?

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Their Facebook page is advertising the radio.com app all day long. It’s extremely annoying. I’m unfollowing their page until training camp at least...

Maybe along with the app, Entercom is divesting itself of a few local radio pairings as well?...just haven't informed them yet.  ?