WGR is ditching its App for Radio.com

54 minutes ago, GG said:

Funny how most of the people complaining in this thread also support net neutrality.  

Why does one have anything to do with the other? Are you saying that Verizon should throttle down Radio.com? You are also jumping to the conclusion that data availability is the only issue here, not whether the app is designed to work efficiently.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why does one have anything to do with the other? Are you saying that Verizon should throttle down Radio.com? You are also jumping to the conclusion that data availability is the only issue here, not whether the app is designed to work efficiently.

I don't think the app is all that bad. I never listen live, only on demand. I like the download feature..and have no issue with the stream starting over when using the downloaded content.

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just the nature of this response is proof enough that you're clueless about net neutrality.  

The claim is that the ISPs would somehow block content (for reasons that don't make sense in the real world).  Yet in practice, it's the content owners who exercise greater control.  But why let that get in the way of horrific rulemakings? 

Now it is off Tunein I think that is it for me as a foreign based Bills fan as far as WGR is concerned.  Real shame.  I used to enjoy listening to Sal's slots on the morning show and the drive time show on catch up when I was in the gym.  

If anyone does work out ways that it can still be accessed abroad grateful if you drop me a PM.  

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Now it is off Tunein I think that is it for me as a foreign based Bills fan as far as WGR is concerned.  Real shame.  I used to enjoy listening to Sal's slots on the morning show and the drive time show on catch up when I was in the gym.  

If anyone does work out ways that it can still be accessed abroad grateful if you drop me a PM.  

It works fine for me, listening to Murph and Tasker right now, see if this works for you: http://player.radio.com/listen/station/wgr-sports

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

It works fine for me, listening to Murph and Tasker right now, see if this works for you: http://player.radio.com/listen/station/wgr-sports

Nope I just get the "you are trying to stream this station from a location outside of north america" recorded message. I always got that when trying to access live content.  Now I get it when trying to access on demand audio too.... if the page even opens without saying I am from a banned GB IP address.  

Where are you based?

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope I just get the "you are trying to stream this station from a location outside of north america" recorded message. I always got that when trying to access live content.  Now I get it when trying to access on demand audio too.... if the page even opens without saying I am from a banned GB IP address.  

Well that sucks. Where are you located?

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

London, UK.

In this day and age there HAS to be a way to be able to listen. You want to know what I'd do, I'd call WGR and present it directly to them. Never know, they might have a solution or an alternate for Bills fans living out of the country. Worth a shot, why not?

I too hate this migration to the Radio.com app.  I am an iPhone user and I drive a lot.  This means I also use Waze as my nav solution.  Unfortunately, when I launch the Radio.com app and launch a stream (say WGR), then start Waze, the Radio.com app crashes within 10 seconds.

My work around, in case anyone else has this problem, is to start Waze first, then the radio.com app.  After streaming has started, hit the home button and (no lie) sit at the home screen for 10 seconds, then open Waze again.  90% of the time, that works and it "holds".

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don't think the app is all that bad. I never listen live, only on demand. I like the download feature..and have no issue with the stream starting over when using the downloaded content.

My main issues with the app is the apparent demand for data when it starts. It also has a habit of stopping on demand audio when data runs low but it doesn't restart. You have to hit the play button again.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Just the nature of this response is proof enough that you're clueless about net neutrality.  

The claim is that the ISPs would somehow block content (for reasons that don't make sense in the real world).  Yet in practice, it's the content owners who exercise greater control.  But why let that get in the way of horrific rulemakings? 

I get that you feel pity for poor picked on mega-corporations, but you seem fairly flip about giving power to ISP to control the flow of data. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I get that you feel pity for poor picked on mega-corporations, but you seem fairly flip about giving power to ISP to control the flow of data. I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Yes, I feel lots of pity for Google and Facebook who were the leading proponents of net neutrality.

Learn the facts first, then post

1 hour ago, GG said:

Yes, I feel lots of pity for Google and Facebook who were the leading proponents of net neutrality.

Learn the facts first, then post

Maybe you can educate me, being such an expert on the matter?

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Maybe you can educate me, being such an expert on the matter?

Search function is your friend.  

In a nutshell, net neutrality is a fake issue invented by the large tech firms who don't want to pay their share of internet transit.  It has nothing to do with ISPs blocking websites.  The tech firms exercise far more control over content than ISPs.  

1 hour ago, GG said:

Search function is your friend.  

In a nutshell, net neutrality is a fake issue invented by the large tech firms who don't want to pay their share of internet transit.  It has nothing to do with ISPs blocking websites.  The tech firms exercise far more control over content than ISPs.  

As someone who works in the Product department of a major ISP,  you are wrong. Be ready to pay for individual fast lanes, on top of what you are already paying for subpar speeds.

Net Neutrality wasnt started by large tech firms. It is not a "fake" issue. It is a consumer issue that goes down to the We the People level.

Content creators can do what they like, and their subscribers will react accordingly. ISPs mostly have a monopoly, or duopoly at best, in local areas. There is no competition or choice, or path unhappy consumers can take.

Unless you own an ISP you are on the wrong side of this argument and against your own best interests. I would benefit greatly (to the tune of six-figure bonuses) if my company is allowed to do this. And I'm still against it because I know what it means in the bigger picture.

• Haha (+1) 1