La Canfora: Bills Betting "Big" on Allen and Edmunds

Buffalo Bills are Betting Big on Physically Gifted Rookies Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The first thing you notice is their sheer mass. The hulking dude in the red No. 17 jersey hovering above almost everyone else in the offensive huddle. And then, across the practice field, the specimen wearing No. 49 in white, the quarterback of the defensive huddle, who seems to be from a different gene pool at times, a teenager sticking out among the grown men.

The future of the Buffalo Bills -- one agonizingly sculpted out of a series of trades and transactions dating back to last summer -- rests quite prominently on these two sets of shoulders. One belonging to Josh Allen, the quarterback who the Bills moved up to seventh overall to select a few weeks back. The other belongs to Tremaine Edmunds, the wunderkind linebacker who just turned 20 whom the Bills moved up to 16th overall to select. Both are raw, physically imposing prospects whose development will define the bold and ambitious regime of coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane.

5-31: Jason La Canfora, CBS Sports, on One Bills Live (14:52)

New Bills QB Josh Allen has impressed thus far at OTAs in Buffalo (2:56)

Bills high on Tremaine Edmunds (1:25)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to La Canfora: Bills Betting Big on Allen and Edmunds
32 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Buffalo Bills are Betting Big on Physically Gifted Rookies Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The first thing you notice is their sheer mass. The hulking dude in the red No. 17 jersey hovering above almost everyone else in the offensive huddle. And then, across the practice field, the specimen wearing No. 49 in white, the quarterback of the defensive huddle, who seems to be from a different gene pool at times, a teenager sticking out among the grown men.

Hulking?  He is tall but 240 is NOT a lot that big.  At his height you expect him to be at least 230.  Almost all of his tackles are taller than him.

LaConjecture is conjecturing again not reporting.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Hulking?  He is tall but 240 is NOT a lot that big.  At his height you expect him to be at least 230.  Almost all of his tackles are taller than him.

LaConjecture is conjecturing again not reporting.

Does towering work for you? :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

This is a story theme more geared to the rest of the NFL market.  What is obvious to us is mostly ignored by everyone else.   This sets the narrative that its almost impossible for the Bills to be successful over the next 5 years without being right about these two picks.  That sounds right to me.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

The Bills "betting big" on two first rounders that they traded up for??? No way!

Like all first round pics pan out?   Sammy Watkins says hello...

Edited by Lurker

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Like all first round pics pan out?   EJ Manuel and Sammy Watkins say hello...

DPG's comment does not appear to imply certitude Allen and Edmunds will "pan out."  Nothing more than a sarcastic comment on the obvious nature of La Canfora's assertions.  

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

Allen was hardly perfect in Thursday's session, and his accuracy will remain the most discussed and dissected part of his game. Several balls skidded low and in the grass during the 11-on-11 drills -- Allen made a point to come over to veteran Rod Streater and pat him on the back after one series of plays in which the quarterback's play was shaky.

This is what worries me the most and I hope they have a plan to correct it, if that's possible. QBs with area code accuracy can only take you so far in the NFL. Either we fix it or we build an offense with very few short throws.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan5121 said:

The only way I would consider this to be more than an obvious statement is if he is suggesting that they are counting on them big this year.  That of course is more about Allen than Edmunds.

In the article, he mentions the idea that the Bills may be in for a bit of a down year. Its more about the future.

56 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Like all first round pics pan out?   Sammy Watkins says hello...

What does that have to do with the point of my post?

53 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

DPG's comment does not appear to imply certitude Allen and Edmunds will "pan out."  Nothing more than a sarcastic comment on the obvious nature of La Canfora's assertions.  

Exactly

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

1 hour ago, Drunken Pygmy Goat said:

The Bills "betting big" on two first rounders that they traded up for??? No way!

Top half of the 1st, too. I am buying the hype, drinking the koolaid. I swear, with Russ Brandon gone, this draft, and the fact God Wills It, on our side...

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is what worries me the most and I hope they have a plan to correct it, if that's possible. QBs with area code accuracy can only take you so far in the NFL. Either we fix it or we build an offense with very few short throws.

This part stood out to me a bit:

There were a lot of short passes and screens -- not too much to show off Allen's powerful arm

I assume the reason for this is that proper ball placement on short throws was one of the bigger knocks on Allen, so it makes sense for the staff to make that a focal point early on. Everyone knows about his arm strength. No need to put too much work in that area so soon, especially since the majority of passes in the NFL are within 20 yards of the LOS.