Are we expecting a spending spree next year?

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Benjamin and Davis are the only ones on that list that MAYBE they extend after next season. 

Extens Zay after next year? Are you nuts? 

They are going to have to pony up for players offensively after next season because their offensive talent is dreadful at the moment. 

I don't think the rules allow them to extend Zay or any other 2nd year player next offseason even if they want to. Think they have to have 3 years in the league. 

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

With all the dead money coming off the books next year, we will be in fantastic salary cap shape.  We don’t really have any major players due for extension. 

With that being said, is it Beane’s/McDermott’s M.O. to drop a lot of FA’s?  That doesn’t feel like it’s part of their process for building a team, but they have made moves (Star, Hyde).

Maybe they haven’t so far because they haven’t had the money, I don’t know.  

I guess I just don’t know what to expect 

Guess it would depend on who is available

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Benjamin and Davis are the only ones on that list that MAYBE they extend after next season. 

Extens Zay after next year? Are you nuts? 

They are going to have to pony up for players offensively after next season because their offensive talent is dreadful at the moment. 

Dawkins and Milano after next season bc doing it earlier is cheaper than waiting usually.  If Zay plays well this season and next season, and no more incidents, don't be shocked.

Yes and No.

Yes because I see them doing what the Rams did with Goff adding some OL and for sure another solid WR. The defense is relatively set minus perhaps another pass rusher or LB at this point. So I think you will see smart but aggressive signing for targeted players like Hyde, Star, & Murphy the past two years. For insistence a guy like Randall Cobb who is potentially available in 2019 would be a nice guy to pair with Benjamin, hopefully Zay, and another drafted WR. That will cost some dough though. Bradin Cooks is another who is a FA in 2019 who could do well. Either way they will spend money on what they want.

No because I don't think you will see a spending spree like the Bills did in 2015 offseason which hurt this team down the road to now. This group is too smart to make that mistake and they've showed it so far. Beane told Terry when he took the job he would have the cap cleaned in 2 years. Well 2019 its clean they aren't going to spend 80 million of it and wreck it.

26 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Diggs is nice but I’m not sure he a true number 1, for what he is going to get paid i’d be hesitant. 

Truthfully I am more concerend with a well rounded WR corp then a true #1. Those only really happen through the draft and you need some luck. BUT having Diggs, Benjamin, hopefully an improved Zay, and a new drafted WR would make me pretty happy in 2019.

16 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Yes and No.

Yes because I see them doing what the Rams did with Goff adding some OL and for sure another solid WR. The defense is relatively set minus perhaps another pass rusher or LB at this point. So I think you will see smart but aggressive signing for targeted players like Hyde, Star, & Murphy the past two years. For insistence a guy like Randall Cobb who is potentially available in 2019 would be a nice guy to pair with Benjamin, hopefully Zay, and another drafted WR. That will cost some dough though. Bradin Cooks is another who is a FA in 2019 who could do well. Either way they will spend money on what they want.

No because I don't think you will see a spending spree like the Bills did in 2015 offseason which hurt this team down the road to now. This group is too smart to make that mistake and they've showed it so far. Beane told Terry when he took the job he would have the cap cleaned in 2 years. Well 2019 its clean they aren't going to spend 80 million of it and wreck it.

Truthfully I am more concerend with a well rounded WR corp then a true #1. Those only really happen through the draft and you need some luck. BUT having Diggs, Benjamin, hopefully an improved Zay, and a new drafted WR would make me pretty happy in 2019.

Maybe I’m just concerned because of how much Watkins just got paid? I’m not sure. Yes he would be a good addition though. 

Overpaying for a WR is better than a lot of other possibilities but would you overpay for two of them? What if Benjamin plays well enough and stays healthy? Then Diggs wants Watkins type money at minimum? 

I feel like they will extend KB (the FO drafted him, traded for him and so far has only gotten one season out of him)... W/$90mil they wont pressure the franchise with two needs at WR. I feel like we will most definitely take a go at one of (whomever is) the top RT available or top 3 interior guys at OL. I also feel like we may look at pass rush in FA as well. TM acquisition this season shows we sill spend money outside of popular opinion on the DE position. I also feel like they will look to add to their TE. I do not know if they would move on from Clay but I do think they make a run.

16 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

Is Julio Jones going to be available next offseason?

If he is, he'll be 30 and always seems to have foot issues (though unlike some 'stars' almost always plays through it).

He's exactly the kind of guy they should not break the bank to sign.

Value spend until we are close.  Then you should be in a good position to add that one guy that can put you over the top.  Once you have multiple high price tag free agents on your team, that's when you start getting in trouble, losing your young guys to FA because you don't have money to sign them.

Nobody knows what it will look like early next year, but right now I’m comfortable saying I hope we shore up both lines before blowing HUGE dollars on a top WR.  Those top guys get SO MUCH $$$! 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nobody knows what it will look like early next year, but right now I’m comfortable saying I hope we shore up both lines before blowing HUGE dollars on a top WR.  Those top guys get SO MUCH $$$! 

...even though the current cap situation forced McBeane to spend wisely, I'd bet he'll spend wisely as well next year........can't unused dollars be carried over to 2020?......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...even though the current cap situation forced McBeane to spend wisely, I'd bet he'll spend wisely as well next year........can't unused dollars be carried over to 2020?......

Yeah, I think they will take a long-term view and not rush to get into cap jail. But, like the draft, you have to see what the options are before you decide what they're worth and what you want to spend. Still should be plenty to spend, just do it wisely.  Holding their water and getting AJ after the initial FA rush certainly looks like the right move now. Hope they play it smart again next year. 

It's also very possible that Clay, McCoy, and Hughes are let go or restructured after this season since their 2019 salaries total about 28 million and their dead cap total is only about 10 million.  It will make for some interesting decisions next year.

Edited by richardb1952
clarification

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yeah, I think they will take a long-term view and not rush to get into cap jail. But, like the draft, you have to see what the options are before you decide what they're worth and what you want to spend. Still should be plenty to spend, just do it wisely.  Holding their water and getting AJ after the initial FA rush certainly looks like the right move now. Hope they play it smart again next year. 

...I think they'll play it smart bud...thinking that perhaps (COUGH) we should see what we have "in house" before worrying about "holes to fill in 2019 via FA"....then again, I'm expecting the official "TBD Bust/Cut List" after Day 1 of June 12 mandatory camp....stay tuned....

5 minutes ago, richardb1952 said:

It's also very possible that Clay, McCoy, and Hughes are let go or restructured after this season since their 2019 salaries total about 28 million and their dead cap total is only about 10 million.  It will make for some interesting decisions next year.

All 3 of those guys are in their last year of their contracts in 2019.  The only way to restructure is to sign them to extensions.

I could see 1 or 2 being cut if they don't perform well this year.  Personally I would like to see all 3 have great seasons but that is probably just

wishful thinking.

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

All 3 of those guys are in their last year of their contracts in 2019.  The only way to restructure is to sign them to extensions.

I could see 1 or 2 being cut if they don't perform well this year.  Personally I would like to see all 3 have great seasons but that is probably just

wishful thinking.

..can unused dollars be carried over CB?............