Are we expecting a spending spree next year?

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

With all the dead money coming off the books next year, we will be in fantastic salary cap shape.  We don’t really have any major players due for extension. 

With that being said, is it Beane’s/McDermott’s M.O. to drop a lot of FA’s?  That doesn’t feel like it’s part of their process for building a team, but they have made moves (Star, Hyde).

Maybe they haven’t so far because they haven’t had the money, I don’t know.  

I guess I just don’t know what to expect 

Depends..how did the 2018 turn out?

I trust them to bring in some talent.

Would be nice to get a big TE, quality WR, OL talent, LB depth, etc. Plenty of places to spend money. But spend it wisely. Spend it on guys on the upswing, not on the down swing.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Extend who? They have no player worth paying loads of cash to for an extension.

I expect them to be aggressive in FA next year on offense because they will absolutely need to be, IMO. They'll have the money to do it. 

Benjamin if he plays well for starters.  Miller if he plays well.  Davis if he stays healthy and plays well.  Extensions don't always  mean breaking the bank.  Extensions also don't have to only be for next season either.   Planning for the future strikes me as something Beane will do.

Dawkins, Milano and Zay will be halfway through their deal after next year. If they are playing well Beane might want to be proactive rather than wait until the last minute.  Especially on Dawkins.  If you listen to how he said he wants to build a team, and the types of signings he's made thus far, don't expect the "big" names or Beane to burn through all that cap.  The better the draft picks play the more money he'll want to roll over.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

With all the dead money coming off the books next year, we will be in fantastic salary cap shape.  We don’t really have any major players due for extension. 

With that being said, is it Beane’s/McDermott’s M.O. to drop a lot of FA’s?  That doesn’t feel like it’s part of their process for building a team, but they have made moves (Star, Hyde).

I'd expect them to start signing their own guys, for one thing.

And then to bring in a bunch of low- and medium-level FAs. Maybe since they have so much one big-ticket guy? Seems a reasonable guess.

• Like (+1) 1

TE, two OL, a KB extension, and an OLB would be nice.  

Then the draft would be BPA with RB, WR, and DL the top priorities

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'd expect them to start signing their own guys, for one thing.

And then to bring in a bunch of low- and medium-level FAs. Maybe since they have so much one big-ticket guy? Seems a reasonable guess.

Who would they sign?  KB I hope.  Doubt they bring back Clay and his chronic knee.  They let all the recent high draft picks go already.  Poyer and Hyde are still under contract.  Perhaps Vontae Davis if he can stay healthy.  

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

TE, two OL, a KB extension, and an OLB would be nice.  

Then the draft would be BPA with RB, WR, and DL the top priorities

Who would they sign?  KB I hope.  Doubt they bring back Clay and his chronic knee.  They let all the recent high draft picks go already.  Poyer and Hyde are still under contract.  Perhaps Vontae Davis if he can stay healthy.  

Who would they sign? KB, as you say. Lorenzo Alexander, Kyle Williams, Groy, Vontae, Jordan Mills, John Miller, Colton Schmidt, Logan Thomas, Nick O'Leary, Humber and Yarborough are all FAs in 2019. Dunno how many of those they'll be interested in, but probably some. And they could extend guys a year early who might be leaving after 2020, guys like Hughes, Clay, McCarron, Ducasse, Adolphus Washington, and perhaps another guy or two they might pick up this year on one-year prove-it deals. Few if any guys who would appear to be absolute needs, but you never know who might improve this year and look a lot more vital to keep.

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think so, but they won't blow it all. I think they will bring the same type of player but with more talent.

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

$90 mil will go a long way 

Cap tracker at Spotrac has us at about $50 million in 2019, with 60 guys under contract (only the top 51 count).  Keeping in mind that is excluding the cap increase (13 million dollars?) and our rookie pool money.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

They will have to be major FA players to fill out the roster.... but major in number not in $$s.  I think that o-line and WR are the obvious spots where they might want to add but who the right people are in each of those spots is a question mark.  The FA WR class looks particularly thin.  It is OBJ who I don't see as a fit even if he makes FA, Cooks and Benjamin (one of whom we have already) who have both failed to prove themselves true #1s and then Randall Cobb and Golden Tate who are both starting to get up in years and are kind of 1A types rather than true #1s.  

Beyond those 5 it is slim pickings.  The FA OL class looks a little better but I imagine many of those guys (Jake Matthews, Zack Martin, Taylor Lewan) will get signed.  You might be able to snag a Saffold, or a Iupati as a 2-3 year guy similar to what we did with Richie - I think both still have some petrol in the tank.  Or a Ju'Wan James or a Ali Marpet might make it to FA and have shown they can be starters (at RT and G respectively).  

• Like (+1) 1

They will spend a lot of cash next year. They have to. Teams are required to spend a certain amount of cash. Bills have not spent a lot of cash the last couple years, even though cap spending was high. Next year will be a spending spree. I bet they are top 5 in cash spending in 2019. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I made a thread awhile ago Buffalo vs. Jacksonville and explained the Jags draft success aligning with their available cap. The Bills are in a similar position if they nailed this draft and guys like Milano and Dawkins continue to show improvement. 

The Bills will be in position to make key FA additions and bolster a solid young core. Fingers crossed!

If they're gonna continue giving 10 mil a year contracts to players like Star I'd rather they just keep it and build through the draft. That's like buying a Hyundai for 85k. I'd like to see them make acquisitions at positions needed of course but let's be smart about it. 

This team is in a position they haven't seen in a long time. Willing ownership, competent coaching and front office, talented youth and possible franchise QB and soon to be major cap space. Hopefully they spend it on quality starters who can contribute and want to be here like Hyde and Poyer.

I do like Star though. Good player who fits a need. And let's be honest, it was the worst kept secret we were signing him once FA started, but 10 mil per? He's a 7 mil player max.

And yes, I am well aware that it's not my money. It's just sometimes I look at it from a GMs perspective instead of a fans.

Spotrac has the Bills at 58 mil in cao space in  2019 but that is with no allen or phillips contract. 

Over The Cap has the Bills with 69 mil in cap space.  

They do have money but they have to be responsible with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know about a "spree", but I think there could be significant additions at WR, OT, and OG.

If Stefon Diggs hits the market, that'd be a no-brainer.  Add in a Daryl Williams and Shaq Mason and you're probably done with 1st-wave guys.

9 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t think big splash signings is their style. I’m not expecting Mario Williams, D Revis type signings. Smart, young and solid players will be brought in (think Poyer and Hyde). A couple OLine starters wouldn’t surprise me at all. Fill in the gaps. I like what they are doing so far. My fingers are crossed that they are building something solid with a quality young QB, then build both lines. 

You are periodically astute, perspicacious adroit. ?

Edited by JohnC

Just now, Augie said:

That’s almost a full week of the vocabulary calendar! Pace yourself! 

Peddle to the metal. I'm a full throttle guy. Go hard and fast until your gas tank is on empty. Then fill it up again. Fear not!

• Haha (+1) 1