Are we expecting a spending spree next year?

With all the dead money coming off the books next year, we will be in fantastic salary cap shape.  We don’t really have any major players due for extension. 

With that being said, is it Beane’s/McDermott’s M.O. to drop a lot of FA’s?  That doesn’t feel like it’s part of their process for building a team, but they have made moves (Star, Hyde).

Maybe they haven’t so far because they haven’t had the money, I don’t know.  

I guess I just don’t know what to expect 

I don’t think big splash signings is their style. I’m not expecting Mario Williams, D Revis type signings. Smart, young and solid players will be brought in (think Poyer and Hyde). A couple OLine starters wouldn’t surprise me at all. Fill in the gaps. I like what they are doing so far. My fingers are crossed that they are building something solid with a quality young QB, then build both lines. 

Even if we signed 8 guys to 10 mil deals, where would be put them?

If they want to buy a whole new job offensive line (minus RT) and a WR, I’m in. 

That’s just a lot of money to spend 

Edited by Virgil

I doubt they'll be big spenders in free agency, not just in 2019, but in general. Down the road, I can see them adding a WR that puts them over the top, but I think they'll take care of their own first. Build through the draft and get good return on rookie contracts, "value" type free agent signings that address areas of need (like Hyde, Star, Murphy etc), and only spend "big" after the team is very well constructed. I wouldn't be surprised if they roll over $30 mil into 2020.

Getting out of debt doesn't give you an excuse to spend yourself back into debt. Yes I want some spending to go down. Spend on guys like Shady and avoid guys like Dareus. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.  

But I think you'd be hard pressed to find a team that went on a spending spree and built a perennial winner. Or put another way, for every team that spent heavily and had success there are probably more that tried that approach and failed and it haunted them for years.

I like the model of building through the draft and then augmenting through free agency. Having cash to spend next year is great, but success will be predicated on the state of the roster when the cap space is available. Based on what I've seen from McBeane so far I'm optimistic.

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With all the dead money coming off the books next year, we will be in fantastic salary cap shape.  We don’t really have any major players due for extension. 

With that being said, is it Beane’s/McDermott’s M.O. to drop a lot of FA’s?  That doesn’t feel like it’s part of their process for building a team, but they have made moves (Star, Hyde).

I don't think you'll see them going after the biggest free agents; not at this point.  They will use that money to extend their own.  They will also continue to grab young players who have flashed, but need an opportunity to start like Hyde or guys who are proven, solid, youngish vets like Lotulelei.  And they will grab the ubiquitous depth, STs players.  

They will keep a healthy stash year to year to extend their own, which will be needed as their draft picks produce.  When the team is built and they are one position away, I could see Beane spending a mint on a day 1 FA.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It really depends  a lot on how the upcoming season unfolds. We will be one key player away ? Lot's of holes to still fill? I would expect them to be diligent, but Beane doesn't seem like the type to shell out huge deals too often.