"Josh Allen is blowing people away" - Chris Simms

Estro

1 minute ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I certainly am not actively rooting against allen, why would I? But this kid has more excuses and excuse makers on this board in a month than tyrod had during his whole tenure as a starter. Funny how that is.

some bitter sap posted a thread about how rosen was “lookin good” as if that means anything (much like this thread) and some stan just had to ape that guy’s headline word for word and sub in allen for rosen because they heard joe b say allen had a good day in shorts throwing against air as well. 

Excuses?   Excuse for what?  Ha Ha Ha 

I think you are "tilting at windmills, Don"

4 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I certainly am not actively rooting against allen, why would I? But this kid has more excuses and excuse makers on this board in a month than tyrod had during his whole tenure as a starter. Funny how that is.

some bitter sap posted a thread about how rosen was “lookin good” as if that means anything (much like this thread) and some stan just had to ape that guy’s headline word for word and sub in allen for rosen because they heard joe b say allen had a good day in shorts throwing against air as well. 

I think someone has been drinking pretty early today

• Haha (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

FWIW Tyrod “supporters” “truthers” had made so many excuses that someone came up with COT. If you think this is bad wait until Allen has a good or bad game. Then everyone that staked their claim will be barking.

Bandit was one of the few posters I remember that gave Allen some respect and he did it early on in the process. I went back and gave Allen a fair look because of that and I’m still thankful for it. I think the anyone but Allen club is going to look quite ridiculous in the near future. 

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is just poor trolling on your part - nothing has suggested he will be a career back-up player.  

If anything his his style and skill is totally boom or bust.  He will either become a franchise player or totally flame out.  

Brett Farve/Aaron Rodgers or Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf

I think there is a middle ground.... it is kind of low end starter.... Blake Bortles territory, or maybe what Josh Freeman was for a couple of years until he couldn't be bothered to learn his playbook anymore.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there is a middle ground.... it is kind of low end starter.... Blake Bortles territory, or maybe what Josh Freeman was for a couple of years until he couldn't be bothered to learn his playbook anymore.

I was thinking Stafford before Cooter. Blake Bortles is not a natural thrower, Freeman was. 

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I was thinking Stafford before Cooter. Blake Bortles is not a natural thrower, Freeman was. 

I have always been a Matt Stafford guy (even before Cooter)... if what we got was Matt Stafford's career out of Josh Allen I'd be over the moon. I think he has covered up the fact that for the last 4 or 5 years (basically since the year Schwartz broke their playoff drought) Detroit has had one of the worst rosters in the entire NFL.  

• Like (+1) 2

allen will be ready much faster than many think, particularly compared to many of the other rook qbs, because he was in a pro style O that made him attempt difficult passes.  the quick slants and screens which go for 50 yards that okalhoma ran all the time are the plays that aren't there in the pros (not as much anyhow, and with much smaller windows).

there is no replacement for pure talent in the NFL, and we finally have a guy with the ability to put the ball all over the place precisely.

it's gonna be a lot of fun to be a bills fan.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Who are these guys and why are they getting this story and not anyone local? This is the first positive review of Allen I've heard.

Simms has been on the Allen bandwagon way before the draft.

Last week he said.if Allen starts the season or plays, at least

in 10 games. He will be a legitimate candidate for rookie of the year.

Maybe the 21st century version of Kelly/Berman might develop.

I hope it’s true. But I also feel like, at this stage of the game...what could he be doing that wouldn’t be impressive? He has a lot of physical ability and what they are doing (to this point) is probably barely football. A guy that can throw the ball 80 yards is probably going to look good no matter (what in Padless practices against air). If he is blowing people away in training camp, live scrimmages and preseason...I’ll start to get excited.

20 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I hope it’s true. But I also feel like, at this stage of the game...what could he be doing that wouldn’t be impressive? He has a lot of physical ability and what they are doing (to this point) is probably barely football. A guy that can throw the ball 80 yards is probably going to look good no matter (what in Padless practices against air). If he is blowing people away in training camp, live scrimmages and preseason...I’ll start to get excited.

If he was turning heads in the classroom that would be the best case scenario. 

Edited by Commonsense

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Brian, at this point in OTA there are no pads and no live contact, but it's not "practice against air", and far more is required of the QB than to heave the ball 80 yds through the air.

I agree with you that it doesn't mean too much, but it's also worth noting that reportedly a number of other young QB have been being picked off etc.  Now maybe things are being simplified for Allen more than other QB, so we don't fully know what that means either.  The point is all QB don't look good in OTA, and it's not just against air, guys are getting picked off and so forth.

• Like (+1) 4

I will confess that I was a skeptic. I wanted Rosen or Darnold. That said, this is not the first time I have heard the comparisons to Carson Wentz: still a little raw in his craft, but seems to be progressing and has the physical tools that are eye popping.

I will wait for judgement until we actually see him on the field, but I have hope.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Allen can blow whoever he wants if he wins Buffalo a Super Bowl ?

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

A guy that can throw the ball 80 yards is probably going to look good no matter (what in Padless practices against air).

Not necessarily. EJ had a strong arm and plenty of bad practices. Mahomes just had an awful practice. We don't have to pretend OTAs are real games but we also don't have to pretend they're meaningless. If he's picking up the system quickly and throwing dimes on the practice field that will translate to the regular season. The one thing we won't know until preseason at the earliest is how competent he looks under pressure.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

FWIW Tyrod “supporters” “truthers” had made so many excuses that someone came up with COT. If you think this is bad wait until Allen has a good or bad game. Then everyone that staked their claim will be barking.

Bandit was one of the few posters I remember that gave Allen some respect and he did it early on in the process. I went back and gave Allen a fair look because of that and I’m still thankful for it. I think the anyone but Allen club is going to look quite ridiculous in the near future. 

I remember Tyrod (and every other QB we've had come through here) getting his fair share of excuses for sure.

As for me and Allen, I feel that I was pretty fair to him throughout the process.  I came into 2017 expecting to grade him as a R1 guy, and that didn't happen.  Back in January, I had him as a 3rd round pick.  My deep dive work in February & March completely turned me around on him, and by the time March closed I had him as a top-10 guy (and believe me, nobody was more shocked about it than me), even though he was my QB4 behind Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold (in that order).

That said, when I say "top-10 guy", I mean precisely this: if all goes well for him, he can become a franchise guy.  For me personally, if I see a potential franchise QB (i.e. a guy with whom you can win a Super Bowl without having a perfect team around him), then he's an automatic top-10 pick because the position is simply that important.

From a scientific study standpoint, I'm thrilled that the Bills picked Allen, because his development (or lack thereof) is going to be one of the most interesting case studies in modern NFL history.  Either all of the "analytics tell you all you need to know" supporters will be proven wrong, or the "old school scouts know talent when they see it" mantra will break in favor of new school, big-data evaluation.  As for me, I'll stick to my opinion: Allen has a shot to be great, but he's miles away from where he needs to be right now.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do not disagree that there can be middle ground, but neither of those guys is career backup material.  Blake Bortles not only played out first contract, but was extended by his drafting team - that to me makes him their franchise QB - maybe not by a pure numbers perspective, but by how they have treated him.

Josh was a flash in the pan that ended up busting.  He never stuck anyplace as a back-up.

To me a career backup is a guy like Matt Moore that has played in the league 10+ years only started more than 10 games 1 time, but is kept around because he can come in and steady a ship.  See also Chase Daniels, T.J. Yates, Derek Anderson.

Josh Allen if he plays at that type of mid level - Blake Bortles/Matt Moore - will probably still end up still starting a large number of games for Buffalo and being the starter - we fans may not be happy, but he was drafted to start.  I just do not see Josh Allen sitting on the bench as a back-up for 10+ years to help stabilize when the starting QB is hurt - that does not fit it’s the skill set I have seen.