"Josh Allen is blowing people away" - Chris Simms

Estro

12 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

It was my understanding that Simms' comments were in reference to glowing reviews coming from a media source, not a team source. 

It was both. Not sure who specifically told him Allen was "blowing people away," but at least 1 person from the media, followed by someone with the team, said good things about him - https://sports.yahoo.com/little-month-draft-first-round-qbs-152832915.html

Quote from article:

"I had a member of the media up there first tell me and then I talked to, you know, somebody involved in their organization. Josh Allen is blowing people away,” Simms said on “The Simms and Lefoke Podcast,” via Bills Wire"

Edited by BigDingus

20 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Of course we want to Bill-ieve...very hungry fan base.  Can't really anticipate much brake tapping because after the drought, there wasn't much brake pad left and it was just metal on metal.

Ha Ha - for some of us it is even worse - Mental on Mental  :wacko:

On 6/1/2018 at 3:50 AM, par73 said:

If one is going by firsthand reports, McCarron had a good day Thursday, while Allen was inconsistent (familiar story with him). This according to Sal C.

Interesting choice of words. Could of described Allen as having some good and some bad throws. Inconsistent has such negative connotations.  If Allen missed ALL of his passes it could be described as "Allen was very consistent  today".

So may the media SPIN away.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/31/2018 at 9:19 PM, NewDayBills said:

Really? I was the one comparing Allen's arm to Johnny Unitas' and his frame and escapability to Big Ben. IF he beats out McCarron, you start him, period. If he beats out a 5 year vet he is ready for showtime.

It needs to be asked what you mean by "beat out"?  We have in the past had guys who were camp champs and even looked good in pre-season - and fell apart when game intensity ramped up and defenses schemed for them in the regular season. 

It also needs to be pointed out that McCarron's 5-year-vet NFL experience amounts to 5 starts.  Beating McCarron out might be a low bar for starting as an NFL QB.  Or maybe he's a star waiting to shine.  We don't know is the point.

22 hours ago, john wawrow said:

i know people want to really, really Bill-ieve, but let's tap the brakes here.

a team source says something really positive about the team's new young quarterback hope.

it's June 1, people. just saying.

he's still working with the 3s and did show a few signs of improvement in yesterday's 2-minute drill, though he gets a knock for telegraphing an interception.

all that said, a team source saying something you'd expect a team source to say is not actually considered a breath-taking revelation.

let's give things a few months.

John, can you say a bit more about what those 'signs of improvement' were?  Were you there?

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

New Bills QB Josh Allen has impressed thus far at OTAs in Buffalo (video)

https://www.cbssports.com/live/new-bills-qb-josh-allen-has-impressed-thus-far-at-otas-in-buffalo/778198/

...not to worry!...our boy Rodak has 'em under the microscope.........

Josh Allen, Buffalo Bills

Round 1, No. 7 overall

Allen has practiced exclusively with the third team through the first two weeks of OTAs, behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman on the depth chart. It's been a mixed bag so far for Allen, who was inaccurate on his first pass and later telegraphed an interception to cornerback Breon Borders during the two-minute drill in Thursday's practice. Coaches gave Allen another shot at the drill and he marched downfield and lofted an accurate fade pattern to wide receiver Cam Phillips for a touchdown. Allen's off-the-charts arm strength has been evident in the velocity of the passes he has thrown; the accuracy seems to be a work in progress. -- Mike Rodak

6 hours ago, cd1 said:

Ha Ha - for some of us it is even worse - Mental on Mental  :wacko:

Interesting choice of words. Could of described Allen as having some good and some bad throws. Inconsistent has such negative connotations.  If Allen missed ALL of his passes it could be described as "Allen was very consistent  today".

So may the media SPIN away.

Seems like you’re the one spinning, not the big bad media. He was inconsistent and they said as much. Whats the issue?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MDH said:

Seems like you’re the one spinning, not the big bad media. He was inconsistent and they said as much. Whats the issue?

Inconsistent = some throws on target and some not?

How many QBs would fit into THAT definition?

Spin away ...

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get why some people are anxious to see Allen sit. I see people acting like they are somehow privy to Allen's development, and pulling out clichés ("Sit him for a year, and let him learn the NFL game") like they are seasoned professional coaches, more wizened than most of their fellow posters. 

Poppycock. He hasn't even started training camp. There's no template for his development that needs to be applied at this point.

If he is good, let him play. If he isn't, let him be a back up until he is better than the guy ahead of him.

Edited by OJABBA

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It needs to be asked what you mean by "beat out"?  We have in the past had guys who were camp champs and even looked good in pre-season - and fell apart when game intensity ramped up and defenses schemed for them in the regular season. 

It also needs to be pointed out that McCarron's 5-year-vet NFL experience amounts to 5 starts.  Beating McCarron out might be a low bar for starting as an NFL QB.  Or maybe he's a star waiting to shine.  We don't know is the point.

John, can you say a bit more about what those 'signs of improvement' were?  Were you there?

But if he's the best in camp and in the preseason games, if he executes the offense better than the other two, don't you start him?  The guy who wins the job plays, riggt?

Or do you just ASSUME he's not ready for prime time even though he's outplayed the others in the summer?  To be honest, I'm not sure I know the answer. 

Yep.  Hopefully he is our Carson Wentz. 

Although that would mean  he looks AWESOME, gets hurt and McCarron/Peterman wins the superbowl.  How awsome would that be?  (oh, and then how not awesome would the ensuing QB debate be...)

On 6/1/2018 at 12:39 PM, BB@Shooter said:

I haven't seen any good arguments to start anyone besides hypothetical what ifs. The reason for that is it is too damn early on. Let it go man.

What signs of improvement is he showing? For that to happen he would have had to look bad at some point in camp. That hasn't happened. You don't go off of what he did in college, you go off of what he does while with the Bills.

I'm going off two practices in which I've watched him. He corrected some of his throws.

So he improved.

Not entirely sure what you're going on about.

jw

On 6/1/2018 at 1:24 PM, BillnutinHouston said:

It was my understanding that Simms' comments were in reference to glowing reviews coming from a media source, not a team source. 

dunno. don't care. my comments stand.

jw

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/2/2018 at 1:14 PM, cd1 said:

Inconsistent = some throws on target and some not?

How many QBs would fit into THAT definition?

Spin away ...

No, that's not what inconsistent means, or else nobody would use that term EVER when describing QB performance.

And considering there's the other content describing his play, you take the word "inconsistent" in context WITH the rest of stuff written about him. 

It's not rocket science, and the fact that we're debating the term "inconsistent" shows how far down the hole people will go in their defense of someone. The mental gymnastics required to justify breaking down commonly used words in the English language just to defend a football player is insane.

Inconsistent means more than just "some throws on target and some not." His ability to read the defense could be inconsistent. His mechanics could be inconsistent. His short, medium, deep, etc. accuracy could be inconsistent. His velocity could be inconsistent. His ability to go through his progressions could be inconsistent. 

There are many facets of his game that could be inconsistent, or he could just be labeled inconsistent overall. Every other day he could look like a completely different player. Every other drive he could be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. When I think of inconsistent QB's, I think of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, Jameis Winston, Eli Manning, etc.... Some of those guys are considered very good, some aren't, but all of them can show brilliant flashes one game, then lay a turd the next couple.

Consistent guys would be Tom Brady, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Case Keenum, etc (more so his first 2 years), not because they never miss a pass, but because you know game in and game out who they are, what they want to do, and who they are.

Even Tyrod could be considered consistent, as he may have some up & down games, just as every QB does, but what he does well and what he doesn't are clear to everyone, and how he's going to perform in certain situations is well known to all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

No, that's not what inconsistent means, or else nobody would use that term EVER when describing QB performance.

And considering there's the other content describing his play, you take the word "inconsistent" in context WITH the rest of stuff written about him. 

It's not rocket science, and the fact that we're debating the term "inconsistent" shows how far down the hole people will go in their defense of someone. The mental gymnastics required to justify breaking down commonly used words in the English language just to defend a football player is insane.

Inconsistent means more than just "some throws on target and some not." His ability to read the defense could be inconsistent. His mechanics could be inconsistent. His short, medium, deep, etc. accuracy could be inconsistent. His velocity could be inconsistent. His ability to go through his progressions could be inconsistent. 

There are many facets of his game that could be inconsistent, or he could just be labeled inconsistent overall. Every other day he could look like a completely different player. Every other drive he could be Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. When I think of inconsistent QB's, I think of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Blake Bortles, Jay Cutler, Jameis Winston, Eli Manning, etc.... Some of those guys are considered very good, some aren't, but all of them can show brilliant flashes one game, then lay a turd the next couple.

Consistent guys would be Tom Brady, Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Case Keenum, etc (more so his first 2 years), not because they never miss a pass, but because you know game in and game out who they are, what they want to do, and who they are.

Even Tyrod could be considered consistent, as he may have some up & down games, just as every QB does, but what he does well and what he doesn't are clear to everyone, and how he's going to perform in certain situations is well known to all.

Sorry but you can't define a word using the very word you are trying to define.

Please provide a clear and accurate definition of inconsistent.

You want to "school me - so school me" ol' wise one.

I'll wait... 

Good to hear! I know you can always have a lot of sunshine blown up your u no where about the rookies every year. Oh this guy looks great and then he turns out to be terrible. Let's hope for the sake of this franchise that he wows us when the games count.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 11:57 AM, CardinalScotts said:

i think hes going to be very good, but lets not expect miracles. Our WR group is considered worst in the NFL

Watson plays in a weak make that super weak division with a kick ass defense. I'd say Watson or whoever Houston starts at qb

this is still valid