Eric Wood, 6/1 cut & Roster Addition

20 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Well. Things changed.

How's that for finding it out it wasn't going to happen, before finding out it actually was.

jw

My apologies on the confusion, but just going on what I was told at 1:30 and then again after 4.

John's twitter

https://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/1002282460342898693 https://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/1002282460342898693

https://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/1002282795035713536

17 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

Thanks JW. You mention they want to money. Any indication that they are going to put it to use in the short term? Perhaps on the OL?

Anyone care to explain the cap ramifications?

He clarified he meant "pre June 1"

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

...wonder if it being termed an "injury settlement" limits the cap hit to 2018 only?............

Taking the Full dead hit this year. Smart. Have the room clear that cap for 2019. They have the room to take the hit on this year and do it. No reason to punt that dead into 2019

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...wonder if it being termed an "injury settlement" limits the cap hit to 2018 only?............

Negative, just the date he's been released governs (pre- or post- June 1)

I don't think "injury settlement" applies here.  To my understanding that's when the team wishes to move on from an injured player whose contract is not fully guaranteed for injury,  or when the player wishes to be released and seek another team rather than being parked on IR all season.  Since one can't release an injured player the team and player negotiate how many weeks the expected recovery from that injury should take, team writes the player a check for that many weeks, and they part ways. 

Since Wood's salary is fully guaranteed for injury, doesn't apply here.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Negative, just the date he's been released governs (pre- or post- June 1)

I don't think "injury settlement" applies here.  To my understanding that's when the team wishes to move on from an injured player whose contract is not fully guaranteed for injury,  or when the player wishes to be released and seek another team rather than being parked on IR all season.  Since one can't release an injured player the team and player negotiate how many weeks the expected recovery from that injury should take, team writes the player a check for that many weeks, and they part ways. 

Since Wood's salary is fully guaranteed for injury, doesn't apply here.

...if I remember correctly, BUMBLES 247, our own capologist extraordinaire, said the pre or post designation differential was 400 grand which is insignificant in the big picture....think that's what they pay the Rockpile Beerman....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

So at the end of the day this entire thing was semantics. If they let him retire at end of season the entire 10.3M would have counted this year.

But by holding him on roster until now it gave them flexibility in UFA, after seeing OK we have the space we need foe 2018 lets make it official and take it on the chin now.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

He should take whatever he is entitled to in his contract in the event that he suffers a career ending injury playing football and should not give back a single dollar from generosity.

So he should be greedy? SMH

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

My question is are the Bills still going after cash???

They should. Why should they pay the bum for not working?

15 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

This is correct. Something like  $10.3 million limited to this year's cap.

Nothing carries over, as I've been informed.

jw

Beane playing the "pay as you go" model is alright with me.

2 minutes ago, mileena said:

Yes, because he is a professional doing a job. I never overcharge or milk my employer but I take my whole paycheck. They offer accidental insurance, which pays me if I am injured on work travel. If I were to choose to pay for that insurance and then I got injured through no fault of my own, I would collect the entire amount with no pangs of conscience. I see this the same way. If they signed a contract fully guaranteed against injury, and had a bonus that was spread out over multiple years, he should collect every dollar he is owed and not a penny more. He is mot voluntarily retiring due to a lack of interest in football, for example, so I do not see a problem with getting paid out.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...injury was the issue and he certainly paid his dues in a Bills uniform...now what??........

The Bills owe him nothing; "paying his dues" is irrelevant. He was comnsated in the past for services he performed. I suppose the Patriots owed Lawyer Milloy something when they didn't re-sign him and he left for the Bills. It's just business.

15 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Yes, because he is a professional doing a job. I never overcharge or milk my employer but I take my whole paycheck. They offer accidental insurance, which pays me if I am injured on work travel. If I were to choose to pay for that insurance and then I got injured through no fault of my own, I would collect the entire amount with no pangs of conscience. I see this the same way. If they signed a contract fully guaranteed against injury, and had a bonus that was spread out over multiple years, he should collect every dollar he is owed and not a penny more. He is mot voluntarily retiring due to a lack of interest in football, for example, so I do not see a problem with getting paid out.

His bonus was paid over many years; it wasn't a lump sum. His injuries will be taken care of and he was offered the insurance for accident/disability. What more does he want? He wants pay for work he isn't performing.

23 minutes ago, mileena said:

They should. Why should they pay the bum for not working?

Um, because those are the terms of the contract the Bills wrote and signed with Eric Wood

1 minute ago, mileena said:

The Bills owe him nothing; "paying his dues" is irrelevant. He was comnsated in the past for services he performed. I suppose the Patriots owed Lawyer Milloy something when they didn't re-sign him and he left for the Bills. It's just business.

"Paying his dues" is irrelevant, but having a signed contract *is* relevant.  The Patriots owed Milloy nothing because he didn't have a contract saying they did.

The Bills will take a $10M+ cap hit for Eric Wood this year because he does.

As you say, it's just business

But it is why Wood did not retire and allowed the Bills to release him - so that there was no question of recouping any $$ he was owed.

2 minutes ago, mileena said:

His bonus was paid over many years; it wasn't a lump sum. His injuries will be taken care of and he was offered the insurance for accident/disability. What more does he want? He wants pay for work he isn't performing.

I don't think this is right that "his bonus was paid over many years".  His bonus was paid as a lump sum when the contract was signed.  It is prorated over multiple years for cap

purposes.  Wood signed a contract where his 2018 salary was fully guaranteed. 

Fully guaranteed means just that - paid in case of injury, failure to make the roster, etc.

• Like (+1) 2