Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

35 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The Beyond Meat burger is actually kind of o.k. Texture's good, a little bit of an aftertaste, but handles the toppings well. About 3 bucks each.

My wife suddenly started talking about avoiding "nightshades" because they cause inflammation. I interrogated her for a good 20 minutes, suspecting that this was the TB 12 system. She showed my the book, by some Dr. Gundry. Divorce averted.

Nightshades, from what I have read, actually do cause inflammation, but causes a response in the body that counteracts that. The end result is a decrease in inflammation because the body overcompensates. Something like that.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Nightshades, from what I have read, actually do cause inflammation, but causes a response in the body that counteracts that. The end result is a decrease in inflammation because the body overcompensates. Something like that.

Thank you. I am not about to pull my newly-planted tomatoes out of the garden.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The Beyond Meat burger is actually kind of o.k. Texture's good, a little bit of an aftertaste, but handles the toppings well. About 3 bucks each.

My wife suddenly started talking about avoiding "nightshades" because they cause inflammation. I interrogated her for a good 20 minutes, suspecting that this was the TB 12 system. She showed my the book, by some Dr. Gundry. Divorce averted.

Dr. Gundry is full of it. He believes in fecal matter transplants as bizarre as that sounds, he said if you transplant waste from a healthy person's colon and transplant it into an unhealthy person's colon they'll lose weight. You pretty much can't eat anything according to his plan, it's like a starvation diet.

35 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Dr. Gundry is full of it. He believes in fecal matter transplants as bizarre as that sounds, he said if you transplant waste from a healthy person's colon and transplant it into an unhealthy person's colon they'll lose weight. You pretty much can't eat anything according to his plan, it's like a starvation diet.

And remarkably like the TB 12 crackpot theories!  I looked at it - not really starvation, but pretty much a recycled Dr. Atkins/Paleo low carb thing with some added claptrap about inflammatory responses. Good news: my wife tired of it in about a week, well before the fecal transplant (!) stage ...

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/29/2018 at 12:05 PM, MJS said:

Fresh produce is cheap. There are some things that are expensive, but the most common produce that people eat are cheap (potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, lettuce -- all cheap).

I'm not vegan, but my family and I eat only a little meat and use mostly fresh produce, along with grains, legumes, etc. We eat very cheaply compared to most people.

I guess if you are trying to have fake meat and dairy and already prepared vegan meals things can get expensive.

exactly,  I get 3 bananas for $1 at cumbys.  broccoli crowns $2 a #.  Blackbeans 1# bag $1.   Organic Milk $6 gallon organic oats $2#.  Organic brown rice $2#.  what the hell is that guy eating that is so expensive?

10 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

as with both meat and Vegetables , if they are absorbing the clean nutrients , so you will be too.

So many foods we consume are the source of inflammation. Which is the source of our bodies deterioration.
Eating smarter is something we should all strive for. keeping the body and mind healthy should be a life's work. 
As we learn more we can improve our diet and exercise for each of us in particular.

and as mentioned , if he just stopped refined sugar? he would be making great strides on long term gains in regard to health : )

finding your personal balance is key. Being comfortable and yet diligent

I have met some of the meats i eat.

We have some great small Farms around here !

know what they are eating. you might find those that eat nifty stuff like bugs while they wander about , taste gooder.

I have a fantastic woman from old country who grow everything naturally including her Hens. Their Eggs are on another level. 

Agreed, sugar is poison and inflammation are wreaking havoc on our health.  Going organic as possible is the way to go. It's pretty obvious that before all these chemicals were used to grow food that cancer and other diseases were almost unheard of.

Went plant based a year ago to deal with all my inj and such that have sprouted up over the last 18 years of military and multiple deployments. I must say i feel great. 

Now that being said i am not a professional athlete. 

Well that and no sugar and GMOs too

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

Most new research into high performance athletics and training shows vegan diets are better.  I’m not vegan but I eat little meat. Many good reasons to eat less meat.  The meat industry is mentally ill for the most part. 

Lots of interesting opinions here.  Nutrition is still a science not fully understood and nutritionists often disagree.  More info is always coming forth though and those that are disciplined in their diets can definitely improve their long term health.  We all have just 1 body and many of us need to take better care of it. 

On 5/29/2018 at 5:47 AM, bobobonators said:

Clay complaining that being Vegan is too expensive. ??‍♂️

Someone please hold my beer while i handle this. 

He didn't say he couldn't afford it, just that it's expensive.  I can see that; it costs more to eat well in general.  Now even the healthy produce seems pumped with chemicals.  The organic produce looks like what normal produce used to look like back in the day.   But organic costs more.  Unless one has access to a farmers market.

Americans have many health issues based on diet and a lot of that is based, in part, on economics.

14 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Shaq said that he reshaped his body and is down to 17% body fat and is shooting for 15%. I'm surprised that it's that high. Is that normal? When I was really fit I was down to 9%. I think Bruce was single digit too.

I thought this was a very interesting article (scroll down for NFL data- the top is just how to measure body fat likely you know already)

It suggests that 19% would be typical for a DLman, and 13.5% for a LB.  Now that's at the combine, so would predict NFL professionals would gain some muscle and lose some fat.

Anyway, Lawson may be "typical" for a DLman at 17%, but I'm going to guess that pass-rushing DE are closer to LB and "Big Stuff" DT are closer to OLmen.

Bruce Smith during his peak as a player was reported to be 6.2% body fat.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

against my better judgment I'm going to dive in here...

First let me say that every diet under the sun that you can google...keto, south beach, atkins, paleo, whole food plant based, cutting off you arm etc....will all work to help you lose weight if you adhere to them.  However, the real question should be what is the most sustainable option that also promotes long term health.  The conclusion I came to after extensively reviewing the literature (the actual peer reviewed studies published in journals, not blogs or cnn articles) led me to the the overwhelming evidence that a whole food plant based diet is the best option.

To say I came to this conclusion kicking and screaming would be an understatement.  I was a bbq nerd with three grills and multiple bbq gadgets. I loved cooking ribs, wings, brisket, pork butt etc. multiple times a week, but as a scientist I simply couldn't ignore the overwhelming scientific evidence.  So in January I went off the standard american diet onto a whole food plant based diet....I'm down 40 lbs, my cholesterol went from 215 to 112, my blood pressure which was borderline hypertensive is now 115/75.  I did this all by changing my diet with no drugs and I don't miss meat, dairy or eggs at all.  

Nutritionfacts.org is a great resource if you want to dip your toe into the literature. Dr. Greger produces short videos on nearly every nutritional topic based on the latest peer reviewed research.  He cites all the papers that he highlights so you can go read them for yourself like I did.  The best video to start with is the story of his grandma, why he went into medicine and a ground breaking study published in JAMA on how our number one killer, heart disease, can be cured by adopting these dietary changes.

Cornell nutritional biochemist T. Colin Campbell's book The China Study is also a great resource.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/1/2018 at 8:35 AM, Sky Diver said:

Shaq said that he reshaped his body and is down to 17% body fat and is shooting for 15%. I'm surprised that it's that high. Is that normal? When I was really fit I was down to 9%. I think Bruce was single digit too.

I think 17 is slightly high for Shaq, but at the same time these guys need to eat a lot of food to maintain a heavier weight.

If he weighed  like 185- 200 pounds, then that would be a different story.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:06 AM, purple haze said:

He didn't say he couldn't afford it, just that it's expensive.  I can see that; it costs more to eat well in general.  Now even the healthy produce seems pumped with chemicals.  The organic produce looks like what normal produce used to look like back in the day.   But organic costs more.  Unless one has access to a farmers market.

Americans have many health issues based on diet and a lot of that is based, in part, on economics.

This is true. all of it. access is part of it as well. Along with knowledge.

46 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

And cholesterol...

and you know there are good and bad cholesterols of course. and certainly are good fats and fatty acids ?
Hard to decipher what we are told is good and bad for most folks i expect.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:35 AM, Sky Diver said:

...I remember USC RB Charles White played in the NFL with a ridiculous 3% body fat.......career was 8 years and 108 games........far too lean......not sure what the right percentage is though...

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

and you know there are good and bad cholesterols of course. and certainly are good fats and fatty acids ?

Eggs are high in cholesterol but they effect your blood differently than other types of fats. Supposedly. Some of this stuff always seems like it’s changing. 

6 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Eggs are high in cholesterol but they effect your blood differently than other types of fats. Supposedly. Some of this stuff always seems like it’s changing. 

And combinations of food stuffs are more effective in creating a healthy system.

We learn more all the time, if you are willing to deep dive.
and once you recognise personal health issues can be improved with just diet and exercise ? You control your own fate to some degree.

Clay is doing just that. 

situational awareness !

Daboll is likely teaching the Team that concept along with reading the opponent and winning your matchups.  ☺️

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I remember USC RB Charles White played in the NFL with a ridiculous 3% body fat.......career was 8 years and 108 games........far too lean......not sure what the right percentage is though...

likely need to find what works for you over time ?

28 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said: