Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

Just now, Commonsense said:

Cook the chicken in extra virgin olive oil, add one package of frozen spinach, mushrooms, garlic, pepper, Italian seasoning. All in one big pan on the stove. 

In in another pan boil your rice, in the third pan goes the water for the broccoli.

Combine all 3 in a big plastic bowl, mix, eat for a week. Yum.

I am a bit lazy but working on it

This past week I bought a few pounds of already prepared chicken fajitas (already prepared with all the veggies in it and seasoned.....large bags of broccoli and carrots go for 1.50 each and make for a huge portion of veggies on the plate.

Fry up the fajitas with pam in the skillet......a little cheese sauce on the veggies......throw everything on a plate.....and devour after my gym time (making sure to not eat after 9:00 PM)

That has been my routine recently.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

In my simple mind I always thought the broccoli was so I can poop

It is plus it has many anticancer properties in it, a very healthy food but not a good source of protein,carbs or fat, you certainly can't live off it.

Did you check out that article I sent ya.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I am a bit lazy but working on it

This past week I bought a few pounds of already prepared chicken fajitas (already prepared with all the veggies in it and seasoned.....large bags of broccoli and carrots go for 1.50 each and make for a huge portion of veggies on the plate.

Fry up the fajitas with pam in the skillet......a little cheese sauce on the veggies......throw everything on a plate.....and devour after my gym time (making sure to not eat after 9:00 PM)

That has been my routine recently.

Give it a try, it’s pretty easier and has helped with my workouts. I’m sure some of these guys will say how it’s not a perfectly healthy combo but I have trimmed up quite a bit and this was a big change.

Cutting up the chicken is the only thing that takes any time, you can prep all the other stuff while cooking the chicken mixture. 30-40 minutes and you have a batch for a solid 4-5 days. 

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

It's funny watching people debate veganism against ketogenic, both work if you follow the program correctly. It comes down to this: If you go high carbs, you must go low fat. If you go high fat, you must go low carbs.

It's that simple.

its actually even much more simple than that... its calories in vs calories out. PERIOD. 

you are correct though. most any nutrition protocol will work when given any consistency.

now don't get me wrong. macro's can become much more complicated than that depending on performance goals. But as a fitness professional that is consistently having to keep up with the latest nutritional studies and health journals in order to keep all my clients(young athletes through senior citizens) trending in the right direction, I am getting a chuckle out of some of this stuff today.

I'm gonna go ahead and say people still terrified of eggs and red meat need to hop on back to the 90's and that's about all i'll say on this whole subject. Fitness/nutrition is a special field where very few people know anything but everyone thinks they know EVERYTHING. Science is finally catching up with the fitness/nutrition field and I can promise you if its proving anything its that there is no ONE way to get it done.

i'm gonna go back to lurking now.... there's just way too much to cover in this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

its actually even much more simple than that... its calories in vs calories out. PERIOD. 

you are correct though. most any nutrition protocol will work when given any consistency.

now don't get me wrong. macro's can become much more complicated than that depending on performance goals. But as a fitness professional that is consistently having to keep up with the latest nutritional studies and health journals in order to keep all my clients(young athletes through senior citizens) trending in the right direction, I am getting a chuckle out of some of this stuff today.

I'm gonna go ahead and say people still terrified of eggs and red meat need to hop on back to the 90's and that's about all i'll say on this whole subject. Fitness/nutrition is a special field where very few people know anything but everyone thinks they know EVERYTHING. Science is finally catching up with the fitness/nutrition field and I can promise you if its proving anything its that there is no ONE way to get it done.

i'm gonna go back to lurking now.... there's just way too much to cover in this.

I will also say this about keto, your body will break down the macronutrients into the micronutrients your body needs and I acknowledge that keto works but it's immoral to me. Eating 2-3 chickens a day makes me feel guilty but eating 2-3 chickens a week is a nice common ground for me. Once again, if 90% of my diet comes from plants I feel better about that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Soooo eggs are ok?  My market havin a sale and I was gonna load up.

Love to hard boil them and eat them with my no salt

40 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

whole eggs are extremely nutrient dense, however, they are also one of the most calorie dense so you need to be aware of how much you are putting in your body. whole eggs, taken within a healthy caloric daily limit, are more than ok for you. I would argue more beneficial than detrimental. Also saturated fats from most meats are not the enemy the 80's and 90's made them out to be. they have plenty of benefits. BUT like most anything else, people eat them in excess and so they have gotten a horrible rep. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

On 5/29/2018 at 8:47 AM, bobobonators said:

Clay complaining that being Vegan is too expensive. ??‍♂️

Someone please hold my beer while i handle this. 

That was the one part of the article that made me have a ‘come on man’ moment. All of us need to be aware of what and how we eat. An athlete is basically investing in their business when they eat right and take care of themselves. If he spends $50,000 a year on groceries, he is still winning on a return from his investment. 

I want Charles Big Play Clay ready to roll. Eat right and stay healthy big fella. When Clay is involved in the offense good things happen.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

yea I don't think hardcore vegan is for most people

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-myth-of-complementary-protein/#gs.urMnkio

This article is terrible and the entire thing literally only cites links back to its own website while complaining about actual scientists (correctly) identifying that most plant proteins are incomplete.

Notice the overly general language he couches his assertions in-- the typical calorie-sufficient vegetarian diet is amino-acid sufficient.  This is accurate, because the typical calorie-sufficient vegetarian diet contains enough different protein sources to cover all the bases.  But that has nothing to do with the protein contents of individual plant sources.

The idea of needing to eat complimentary proteins together at the same time is flawed and inaccurate, which is the only valid factual assertion directly related to the topic that he makes, but that again doesn't actually directly relate to the completeness of individual plant proteins.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this dude and his glorified blog.

Edited by Avisan

On 5/29/2018 at 2:47 PM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No, high levels of collagen are needed for joint health and is why bone broth is all the rage.

Also red meat is not unhealthy, this myth needs to die. Grass fed beef is one of the best foods one can eat and has way more nutrients than chicken and fish.

as with both meat and Vegetables , if they are absorbing the clean nutrients , so you will be too.

So many foods we consume are the source of inflammation. Which is the source of our bodies deterioration.
Eating smarter is something we should all strive for. keeping the body and mind healthy should be a life's work. 
As we learn more we can improve our diet and exercise for each of us in particular.

and as mentioned , if he just stopped refined sugar? he would be making great strides on long term gains in regard to health : )

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I will also say this about keto, your body will break down the macronutrients into the micronutrients your body needs and I acknowledge that keto works but it's immoral to me. Eating 2-3 chickens a day makes me feel guilty but eating 2-3 chickens a week is a nice common ground for me. Once again, if 90% of my diet comes from plants I feel better about that.

finding your personal balance is key. Being comfortable and yet diligent

I have met some of the meats i eat.

We have some great small Farms around here !

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

know what they are eating. you might find those that eat nifty stuff like bugs while they wander about , taste gooder.

I have a fantastic woman from old country who grow everything naturally including her Hens. Their Eggs are on another level. 

54 minutes ago, Avisan said:

This article is terrible and the entire thing literally only cites links back to its own website while complaining about actual scientists (correctly) identifying that most plant proteins are incomplete.

Notice the overly general language he couches his assertions in-- the typical calorie-sufficient vegetarian diet is amino-acid sufficient.  This is accurate, because the typical calorie-sufficient vegetarian diet contains enough different protein sources to cover all the bases.  But that has nothing to do with the protein contents of individual plant sources.

The idea of needing to eat complimentary proteins together at the same time is flawed and inaccurate, which is the only valid factual assertion directly related to the topic that he makes, but that again doesn't actually directly relate to the completeness of individual plant proteins.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from this dude and his glorified blog.

"Plant protein can meet protein requirements when a variety of plant foods is consumed and energy needs are met. Research indicates that an assortment of plant foods eaten over the course of a day can provide all essential amino acids and ensure adequate nitrogen retention and use in healthy adults"

https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/2009_ADA_position_paper.pdf

10 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

finding your personal balance is key. Being comfortable and yet diligent

I have met some of the meats i eat.

We have some great small Farms around here !

One of my favorite meals is garlic chicken breast cubed and fried in olive oil, I do that one 5-6 times a month. Probably wouldn't be so bad if I baked it but frying it tastes so much better. I eat between 5-8 eggs everyday though, cheap quick protein.

2 minutes ago, PirateHookerMD said:

"Plant protein can meet protein requirements when a variety of plant foods is consumed and energy needs are met. Research indicates that an assortment of plant foods eaten over the course of a day can provide all essential amino acids and ensure adequate nitrogen retention and use in healthy adults"

That's true.

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

One of my favorite meals is garlic chicken breast cubed and fried in olive oil, I do that one 5-6 times a month. Probably wouldn't be so bad if I baked it but frying it tastes so much better. I eat between 5-8 eggs everyday though, cheap quick protein.

That's true.

One of my Daughters is a nutritionist among her other skills sets. Her business is now focused upon individuals. Women specifically. health exercise diet spirit via Yoga and meditations.

Her go to at meal times are eggs. always offering to scramble some up. Mostly vegan and mostly clean eating.
Been a positive influence on my health.

Ps Always a treat to find so many knowledgeable folks here. no matter what the subject ☺️

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, klos63 said:

they are also a cause of high cholesterol which can lead to heart disease. So it's better to get your protein without the heart disease risk.

It is easy enough just to eat the white part of egg and get your protein.  My wife makes me eggs that way.

1 hour ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Correct, this is not nor was ever in contention, and I explicitly mention it as true in my post.

Probably save a lot of money by getting a chicken and growing my own garden. I've always had a desire to get off the grid as much as I could. Never did take the plunge. 

Edited by Lfod

On 5/29/2018 at 10:05 AM, MJS said:

Fresh produce is cheap. There are some things that are expensive, but the most common produce that people eat are cheap (potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, lettuce -- all cheap).

I'm not vegan, but my family and I eat only a little meat and use mostly fresh produce, along with grains, legumes, etc. We eat very cheaply compared to most people.

I guess if you are trying to have fake meat and dairy and already prepared vegan meals things can get expensive.

The Beyond Meat burger is actually kind of o.k. Texture's good, a little bit of an aftertaste, but handles the toppings well. About 3 bucks each.

My wife suddenly started talking about avoiding "nightshades" because they cause inflammation. I interrogated her for a good 20 minutes, suspecting that this was the TB 12 system. She showed my the book, by some Dr. Gundry. Divorce averted.

• Haha (+1) 1