Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

I would say it’s worth a try. Plant based diets have pretty much cured heart disease and other miracle like outcomes for those with health related issues. On the other hand, Not going to help you if a guy like Tre Edmunds lights you up over the middle

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Fresh produce is expensive and if you aren't used to buying it it's hard to measure how much you will use before it goes bad (which is fast) so you end up throwing out a lot.  Now if you shop day-to-day that's not an issue but most people don't do that.

Also if when he tried the vegan thing if he bought stuff like soy milk instead of cow milk, it gets expensive.  Also keep in mind the number of calories these guys need to eat in a day to maintain their weight.  Avocados are expensive.

Fresh produce is cheap. There are some things that are expensive, but the most common produce that people eat are cheap (potatoes, apples, bananas, carrots, celery, lettuce -- all cheap).

I'm not vegan, but my family and I eat only a little meat and use mostly fresh produce, along with grains, legumes, etc. We eat very cheaply compared to most people.

I guess if you are trying to have fake meat and dairy and already prepared vegan meals things can get expensive.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I saw a study that said if you don’t eat...you’ll die. ?

Interesting... I saw a study that if you DO eat....you’ll still die!

I bet Tommy B has some nice kale recipes for him. 

• Haha (+1) 2

What a crazy set of articles......I mean the Bills have peeps on staff to help these people and how to eat no?  A LARGE portion of their meals are coming from the team for several times a year and they can't figger out what to eat from that.

Money and brains.....there is a large chasm in the NFL....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Fresh produce is expensive and if you aren't used to buying it it's hard to measure how much you will use before it goes bad (which is fast) so you end up throwing out a lot.  Now if you shop day-to-day that's not an issue but most people don't do that.

Also if when he tried the vegan thing if he bought stuff like soy milk instead of cow milk, it gets expensive.  Also keep in mind the number of calories these guys need to eat in a day to maintain their weight.  Avocados are expensive.

So true, we have to shop between Trader Joe's, Aldi, Target and Wegmans. 

My wife can't eat gluten.

My kid can't have nuts.

We eat very limited cheese, and no red meat.  Probably 70-80% organic foods.

I spend about $1200-$1300 per month on groceries... the struggle to eat food that is actually good for you is real... if you have allergens to be conscious of, it's damn near impossible.

• Like (+1) 2

I worked in a vegetarian food coop in college and good portion of my family is vegan.

The key to a vegan diet (which he is NOT on eating chicken and fish) is balancing the diet to get complete amino acids since there is no one vegan items which contains all.

Clay does not seem to be type tp do work himself and prepared vegan meals ARE more expensive especially since there is not as much competition in market.  When he says "expensive" he means compared to non vegan alternatives just as we will say food in stadium is "expensive" compared to food outside stadium NOT unaffordable.   I do not know Clay's lifestyle and whether he has enough bling to pay for a mortgage but many who grew up poor are reluctant to just spend money because they are earning more.  Many NFL players still drive old cars they had in college.  But as James Harrison said you need to spend to maintain yourself to continue to play and Clay does not appear to be that type.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I worked in a vegetarian food coop in college and good portion of my family is vegan.

The key to a vegan diet (which he is NOT on eating chicken and fish) is balancing the diet to get complete amino acids since there is no one vegan items which contains all.

Clay does not seem to be type tp do work himself and prepared vegan meals ARE more expensive especially since there is not as much competition in market.  When he says "expensive" he means compared to non vegan alternatives just as we will say food in stadium is "expensive" compared to food outside stadium NOT unaffordable.   I do not know Clay's lifestyle and whether he has enough bling to pay for a mortgage but many who grew up poor are reluctant to just spend money because they are earning more.  Many NFL players still drive old cars they had in college.  But as James Harrison said you need to spend to maintain yourself to continue to play and Clay does not appear to be that type.

My guess? He's using a meal prep service and having them prepare meals based on his new diet.  That will be very expensive at probably 10 bucks a pop - as an nfl player thats probably 5 meals a day, maybe more?  50 a day = 350 a week = 1400 a month just for him and not including wife/kids.  It's not crazy expensive, but it's probably some sticker shock.  

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

Other than eliminating sugar, what has he changed in his diet? he eats plant based- but most of us do with fruit, veges, beans, rice...., he eats chicken, fish and maybe a little red meat.  The team nutritionist needs some help.

Yes, I'm sure it was the team nutritionist telling him to eat a bunch of red meat and drink sugary drinks.

lucille-portable.gif

5 hours ago, KW95 said:

Forget the diet, just catch the damn ball.

Actually, stay on the sideline and let a true TE play.

I would bench him for 14 games and let him play against Miami.

He’s not that bad lol.

Overpaid? Sure.

But he is at least an average tight end when healthy IMO

12 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

He’s not that bad lol.

Overpaid? Sure.

But he is at least an average tight end when healthy IMO

Basically you summed it all up for me:

A) Overpaid

B) When Healthy

C) Average TE.

7 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Basically you summed it all up for me:

A) Overpaid

B) When Healthy

C) Average TE.

I think he is above average personally. Was saying at least an average tight end.

There are way bigger problems on that offence than Clay

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

What a crazy set of articles......I mean the Bills have peeps on staff to help these people and how to eat no?  A LARGE portion of their meals are coming from the team for several times a year and they can't figger out what to eat from that.

Money and brains.....there is a large chasm in the NFL....

Well, they're all on their own for the off season, no?

Good question though: how many of their meals are in the team facilities during the season?

Athletes get all kids of different ideas of what's best to eat.  And some of these guys, especially young guys, are all in on wings etc.