Could a plant-based diet turn things around for Charles Clay?

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/29/bn-blitz-newsletter-could-a-plant-based-diet-turn-things-around-for-charles-clay/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1527584804http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/28/charles-clay-hoping-changes-to-diet-will-keep-him-stay-on-field-more-for-bills/

http://buffalonews.com/2018/05/28/charles-clay-hoping-changes-to-diet-will-keep-him-stay-on-field-more-for-bills/

Charles Clay recently tried going vegan. It lasted for about a month.

“I felt good,” the Buffalo Bills’ tight end said. “But it’s hard. It’s expensive to do, too.”

Undaunted, Clay remained true to drastically changing his eating habits, because he was determined to find a solution, once and for all, to help cut down on the injuries with which he has dealt for most of his seven NFL seasons and all of the last three in Buffalo.

The tipping point came last Nov. 20, during the Bills’ 16-12 victory against the Cincinnati Bengals, when he was carted off the field in Paul Brown Stadium with a torn meniscus and sprained MCL in his left knee. Clay underwent arthroscopic surgery and missed three games. It was one of the lowest points in his career but also provided the impetus for him to seek answers beyond training methods.

With the help of the Bills’ nutritionist, Clay said he has been following a diet loaded with plant-based foods and devoid of sugar. His meals include chicken and fish, but little, if any, red meat.

Bills tight end Charles Clay believes everything happens for a reason. And he feels the reason behind last year's knee injury that cost him a month of action was that it led him to experiment with new diets, which have him feeling great as he enters his eighth professional season.

Clay told Vic Carucci that he has been following a diet "loaded with plant-based foods and devoid of sugar," with the help of the team nutritionist. His meals include chicken and fish, but little, if any, red meat, Carucci wrote.

Clay, 29, has been frequently limited in practice during his time with the Bills due to chronic knee issues. But changing up his diet "was something I looked into all offseason, trying to keep as much inflammation out of my body as I can," he said. "[A]nd eating has a lot to do with that. I feel awesome right now."

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is something all athletes need to be doing. Finding a diet that will help their body with recovery. There are enough studies and more every day that show what we eat is killing us. The food pyramid is totally false and needs to be turned upside down. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He is right about eating having a lot to do with inflammation...everyone has trigger foods that they are likely eating every day that they have no idea is causing inflammation in their body...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

This is something all athletes need to be doing. Finding a diet that will help their body with recovery. There are enough studies and more every day that show how what we eat is killing us. The food pyramid is totally false and needs to be turned upside down. 

I saw a study that said if you don’t eat...you’ll die. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Clay complaining that being Vegan is too expensive. ??‍♂️

Someone please hold my beer while i handle this. 

Guess $6 mil a year doesn't go as far as it used to...

• Haha (+1) 8

Other than eliminating sugar, what has he changed in his diet? he eats plant based- but most of us do with fruit, veges, beans, rice...., he eats chicken, fish and maybe a little red meat.  The team nutritionist needs some help.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

good for him but when i see him play I'd say his biggest issue is flexibility.   He is rigid running routes and when reaching for poorly thrown balls and this more than anything can impact his injuries.  Just my 2 cents. 

Eating plants prevents meniscus tears in the knee when subjected to trauma?

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Guess $6 mil a year doesn't go as far as it used to...

6 million AFTER taxes (he makes like 9 million per)...yeah that does not go that far anymore...inflation is a real thing

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Eating plants prevents meniscus tears in the knee when subjected to trauma?

6 million AFTER taxes (he makes like 9 million per)...yeah that does not go that far anymore...inflation is a real thing

No eating tortured sick animals on antibiotics helps w knee trauma according to the surgeon general 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Someone explain to me how cutting expensive meat and dairy products out of your diet and only eating plants is expensive. Is he eating exotic plants?

Fresh produce is expensive and if you aren't used to buying it it's hard to measure how much you will use before it goes bad (which is fast) so you end up throwing out a lot.  Now if you shop day-to-day that's not an issue but most people don't do that.

Also if when he tried the vegan thing if he bought stuff like soy milk instead of cow milk, it gets expensive.  Also keep in mind the number of calories these guys need to eat in a day to maintain their weight.  Avocados are expensive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1