A Bone-Chilling Draft Review

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I am really excited about it....and not just our 1st round picks

This is a collection of highly motivated young players. Brandon Beane prefers work ethic over elite skills. I like it so far

Just now, THE SLAMMER said:

This is a collection of highly motivated young players. Brandon Beane prefers work ethic over elite skills. I like it so far

I was really impressed by the make up of last year's team.   It appeared that mistakes were down teamwork up.

I think that counts for something you have to have buy in from everybody to make that happen.

I still feel like we are some players away....but I feel really good about this team, its selection of players, and the direction they are going.

• Like (+1) 1

I was really impressed by the make up of last year's team.   It appeared that mistakes were down teamwork up.

I think that counts for something you have to have buy in from everybody to make that happen.

I still feel like we are some players away....but I feel really good about this team, its selection of players, and the direction they are going.

Brandon Beane rarely misses on his later round selections. Some how some way they contribute. The Bills should be in the running for the playoffs again.

The National media is slow to observe how this guy works. He basically drafts farm boys....lol

2 hours ago, Chemical said:

Allen didn't have a high drop rate compared to other top QBs in this draft

Just curious, where are you getting those stats from?  I ask because I've spent time looking for them, but can only seem to find the standard REC, YDS, YDS per REC, AVG, TDs.  I'd appreciate a link or a reference that has stats for targets and drops.

It really does no good to analyze these players before they step on a field. What kind of instruction are they getting? How do they fit a system that takes advantage of their skill set? Can they be part of a successful program by contributing something? (They all aren't going to be all pros but sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts). Good organizations succeed by teaching, finding pieces that fit together and having the right environment for people to contribute. In the past that hasn't been the case here. I think it is what you need to judge this coach and administration on and the won loss record will reflect whether they are doing it right or not.  The results last year were really encouraging.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

The talent level argument is more about how often his teammates are able to win their matchups.  Do they beat coverage, get YAC, hold up in pass protection, sustain blocks and open holes for the running game?  The 2016 offense had five guys  (including Allen) that were 1st or 2nd team ALL MWC and the 2017 offense had none.  The run game suffered so play action was less effective and the protection failed at a high rate where Allen was forced to move from his designed spot more often.  The receivers he had seemed to catch the ball decently but were nothing special after the catch.

Less effective run game = less play action success = more 3rd and long situations = more pass protection breakdowns =  less impressive QB stats.   

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

PFF is good for advanced metrics and stats but it’s grades are useless because you can’t accurately grade a player if you don’t know the play call,line call, route combinations, and individual jobs on the play

too many variables 

big big thumbs up to this and somebody should tell the boys Wgr who think everything can be broken down by data 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I am not an expert, but I have watched every single game Josh Allen played in at Wyoming. I don't understand how anyone can watch his games and and put together a critique like this without the following disclaimer:

*** His O-line was an absolutely pathetic, leaking sieve and the guy was running for his life for 2 years.

Hopefully we get him better protection than he had at Wyoming.

seems like you might be a bit better informed than most we might pick up of the wire feeds !
Lets hope Bills can take care of the Kid at the NFL playing levels

38 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I model French panties.

And my sister says I'm a great French kisser 

your sister is lying. You're terrible.
but you can attract a bee or two in saffron laced bikini cut

3 hours ago, Paulus said:

I remember the great Demitris Bell argument a while back. When they had him ad a leading LT and the Bills' O-line graded very high that year, I grew tired of PFF. They are good for stats, but don't show the entire picture, and it is evident.

Yep

There are some places where their stats are meaningful, but when they try to put individual grades on positions which are strongly interdependent - such as OL or DL - they become quite tenuous. 

And at other positions, such as QB, I think the way they weight different factors (such as lack of interceptions) is a bit out of keeping with the QB's real impact on the game - for example, while I agree with the principle that turnover differential is a huge correlation to wins, so are successful 4Q drives and 2 minute drills. 

But could just be me

9 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

your sister is lying. You're terrible.
but you can attract a bee or two in saffron laced bikini cut

Do you know that for sure?

Not that there’s anything wrong with that....

10 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Ohhhh lala

Yeah, I’m all of that! 

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep

There are some places where their stats are meaningful, but when they try to put individual grades on positions which are strongly interdependent - such as OL or DL - they become quite tenuous. 

And at other positions, such as QB, I think the way they weight different factors (such as lack of interceptions) is a bit out of keeping with the QB's real impact on the game - for example, while I agree with the principle that turnover differential is a huge correlation to wins, so are successful 4Q drives and 2 minute drills. 

But could just be me

it could be just you.. lol

But likely not.
Good numbers need context. they provide numbers. Helpful, not definitive 

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

Bon jour

mon ami ?

10 minutes ago, nucci said:

Bon jour

Six years of French and I remember little more than “Voulez vous couchez avec mois?” Or, as our french teacher said was more appropriate, “si on couchez avec mois?” You can tell where my head was.....

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

Buffalo got a high-pick QB...their most glaring need. 

That seems to be the point of contention. They seem to think that we already had a QB that could get us to the playoffs, a “veteran” backup, and a developmental rookie. It’s as if they found the need to get a QB superfluous. 

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

That seems to be the point of contention. They seem to think that we already had a QB that could get us to the playoffs, a “veteran” backup, and a developmental rookie. It’s as if they found the need to get a QB superfluous. 

Makes sense, I suppose.  But that's why these early draft grades are just as meaningless as pre-season power rankings.  All comes down to guesswork and opinion.  Could get something just as accurate by rolling a Magic 8-Ball over an Ouijii board.