!@#$ the Home Depot

17 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Over the past month, I've: repaired a leaking toilet, replaced a float valve on a second toilet, recharged the A/C, replaced a partition door in the furnace room, replaced a thermostat, and installed a new crawlspace vent (which required cutting through the brick facade on the house.)  Total cost: $430 for the door, new thermostat (a Nest, $250 and worth it), the vent, and a new angle grinder to cut the brick.  Total cost if I hired someone...probably pushing two grand.

There's a lot to be said for learning how to do these things yourself.  Most of it isn't difficult.  The only real downside is having to shop at Home !@#$ing Depot.  ("Where are your crawlspace vents?"  "Uh...Aisle 15, in the back."  "No, that's electrical, moron.  They're in aisle 42, towards the middle, between masonry and roofing.  Learn your !@#$ing store, you idiot.")

I do a lot of home handyman stuff, but sometimes I need things done right away.  When I do something, i plan, research, and take my time. Sometimes I need things done quickly, or I need more muscle than just myself.  

The last time I had my hot water heater replaced, the plumber was not paying attention to the flue vent angle, and he was about to hook it up with the flue going downhill as it connected to the chimney. I pointed it out and he redid it. Not cool.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I do a lot of home handyman stuff, but sometimes I need things done right away.  When I do something, i plan, research, and take my time. Sometimes I need things done quickly, or I need more muscle than just myself.  

The last time I had my hot water heater replaced, the plumber was not paying attention to the flue vent angle, and he was about to hook it up with the flue going downhill as it connected to the chimney. I pointed it out and he redid it. Not cool.

And there's certain things I could do, but won't - we lost some flashing the last windstorm we had, and I hired that out to the guys across the street.  Just because I have an absolute phobia of extension ladders, and will cheerfully pay to have someone else climb them.

But yeah...some jobs are too big to do alone.  I've got stairs that need to be completely rebuilt...but putting the stringers up is not a one-person job.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

And there's certain things I could do, but won't - we lost some flashing the last windstorm we had, and I hired that out to the guys across the street.  Just because I have an absolute phobia of extension ladders, and will cheerfully pay to have someone else climb them.

But yeah...some jobs are too big to do alone.  I've got stairs that need to be completely rebuilt...but putting the stringers up is not a one-person job.  

I can build a fire pit or a doghouse..patio deck etc . I 'm a hammer and nails guy,the last time I attempted to" jack around " with plumbing,I flooded out the bathroom...

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Went to HD yesterday after work... Get there a few minutes before 8pm... Didn't know they were closing @ 8.  They said: "We are closing, but can get the things you need."

Said: "No thanks and went to Super Walmart across street... They open to midnight? 

We are a 24/7/365 world... Some people gotta work... Just stay open.  Holidays, Sundays are things of the past.  Even the USPS was working yesterday and delivered my packages... 

So they offered to let you shop even though you came in right before their CLEARLY posted store hours, you acted like a jerk, and THEY are the !@#$s?

• Like (+1) 1

I always go to HD for the mil discount (Lowe's doesn't do it here).

Never had an issue, but I know what I want beforehand. Never had a problem with returns, either.

My wife takes the kids to do their craft activity on Saturdays and she has had a problem with the lady in charge being kinda bitchy.

12 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I can build a fire pit or a doghouse..patio deck etc . I 'm a hammer and nails guy,the last time I attempted to" jack around " with plumbing,I flooded out the bathroom...

I'm the same way. I'm landscaping proficient, and can only do minor internal repairs.

12 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I always go to HD for the mil discount (Lowe's doesn't do it here).

Never had an issue, but I know what I want beforehand. Never had a problem with returns, either.

My wife takes the kids to do their craft activity on Saturdays and she has had a problem with the lady in charge being kinda bitchy.

Most Lowes will do disco but you have to fill out form for them to keep on file... Then you just give them your regular ID.  Probably, too many people were pulling fast ones OR many old-time Vets probably don't have current military CaCard, ID, etc... So if you fill out form, show copy of DD214, etc... No need to carry all the paperwork from then on out.

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Both Lowes in my area do the military discount.

Once registered, which is really easy, they just ask for phone number at cashier.

I use it constantly.

As does that guy who was in line behind you last August.

I think I equate 'false veterans' on the same level as welfare frauds.  ?

32 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Both Lowes in my area do the military discount.

Once registered, which is really easy, they just ask for phone number at cashier.

I use it constantly.

This is how it's set up at my area Lowe's.  Super easy, now.

But what about the self-checkouts?  I went the other day to get charcoal and a mower blade and went through self-checkout.  There is no option to ask for the discount.  I ended up not asking the clerk for assistance, but would have if I had more stuff.

Have you gotten the discount using self-checkout?

I've been in the place far too often lately, thanks to the annual surge in yard work.  I've never really had to ask their people for anything though since I'm usually looking for basic stuff..  At this time of year, it's really easy to find the dirt and mulch yourself.

31 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is how it's set up at my area Lowe's.  Super easy, now.

But what about the self-checkouts?  I went the other day to get charcoal and a mower blade and went through self-checkout.  There is no option to ask for the discount.  I ended up not asking the clerk for assistance, but would have if I had more stuff.

Have you gotten the discount using self-checkout?

No. 

There's no way to do it at self checkout. Have to have a cashier input.

Not a problem in my area.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Off topic, but the OP can suck it if he doesn't like it ....

Yesterday (Memorial Day), Hooters and 99 Restaurants offered free lunches to veterans.  I let my son choose where to eat; shockingly he chose Hooters.  They make a good burger.

Bought a shed at Home Depot last week, and they had it in the Memorial Day ad at the same price + some shelving. I told my Hubby to call and see if they'd give us the shelving in the ad. They offered us any shelf we wanted in stock that would fit, or $65 (he has some sort of evil plan for shelving inside that thing). We took the cash.  Went there last night for the garbage bags deal (140 ct scented for 10 bucks).

For the most part, I prefer Home Depot to Lowes, but since they cut out the contractor discount, Hubby sees which has the better price these days (that and we could throw a rock and hit Lowes).  

For stupid little things like soil, nails, screws, spray paint, I still prefer Valu. Run in, get asked if you want help from someone who knows the store, pick up item(s), check out, back in the vehicle in 10 minutes.