!@#$ the Home Depot

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Garbage customer service .  Almost like they don’t want customers. t(-.o)t

I actively avoid any interactions with HD staff.  On the rare occasions I get an unsolicited "Do you need help finding anything?" My usual response is "No, do you?"  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I actively avoid any interactions with HD staff.  On the rare occasions I get an unsolicited "Do you need help finding anything?" My usual response is "No, do you?"  

Betcha you are a real hoot! Ha!

My father used to be like this.  See how messed up I am... Don't have children! ?

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Personally, I don't have a problem with HD and found them to be reasonable with prices as well as returns and exchanges, and have never felt screwed by them.  Customer service is kind of subjective as it depends on the employee. I've never had a problem that I can think of which would bother me to this day.

That's been my experience for the Home Depot I frequent. 

I've seen a fair share of customers who left a lot to be desired for how they acted with employees there and other places. 

We live less than a mile for the Home Depot HQ. Bought our house from a HD employee. The HQ is across the road from the HD I shop it. Not surprisingly, that one is run pretty well. You don’t find a lot of Lowes or Pepsi products in Atlanta. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

I dont see what's wrong with having to show proof of anything if they are giving you a discount (veteran, native status, etc.). To many D-bags out there that will try and fraud the system faking it if they didnt ask for proof.

As for home depot, I know someone who is supposed to be banned from there because he want off on one of the Experts for giving someone wrong advise

Home depot/Lowes/other box hardware stores are great if you know what you need to do a project around the house. But if you have to go in there  and ask someone for advise on what to get or how to do something, turn around and find a professional to do it for you cause you shouldn't be in that store. Their experts are to building as Subway employees are to art.....

You also have to be careful what you buy there. Around here they will sell almost anything, and some of it will not meet building codes for use in the area, so if you have a permit for the work it may bite you during an inspection. I have seen it many times where a building inspection has failed and the excuse was that "this is what the guy at Home Depot said I needed to use or would work"

I agree with a lot of what you say.  The local VFW about a decade ago had problems with "outsiders" crashing parties that were specifically for vets.  D-bags know where to get a jacket and/or shirt along with cap to look like they were in the military.  Let's face it in that we do not live in Mayberry where everybody knows everybody else and has been so for decades.  Also, everybody today knows how to throw a tantrum to discourage the meek from enforcing the rules.  You have to be tough with people and make them prove it until they know otherwise.   If you are a newbie in town then you will have to show ID until people get to know you.

Yep, never take it to be that any person knows what you need to know in terms of building codes.  Especially in a retail establishment.  Most employees in such places are there to put inventory on the shelf and tidy the store up.  In most situations no training is provided so an employee can learn electrical, plumbing, heating, etc.  Managers often make dumbass decisions when it comes to hiring.  One of the earliest jobs after college was at a chain lumber and home improvement store.  Store manager hired a bunch of management trainees including myself.  The tall good looking guy who actually had a good disposition always screwed up on recommendations especially on electrical.  One time he made a 10,000 dollar blunder on a recommendation for a McMansion and the worst he got was an "oh well. everybody makes mistakes."  Another homely guy who was one one pound box of 16 Common nails short on a 3,000 dollar order got reamed pretty hard and the customer really was not the problem.  Myself?  The boss' daughter who worked part time evenings took a liking to me so I was doomed from that point onward.  The boss was responsible for management training and I found through his boss the district manager my training was falling more and more behind.  The DM would ask me why my training was not progressing and I said the store manager has not made the time.  Only a few weeks had to go by of this to know my boss wanted me gone.  The point of the story?  Despite the notion of professionalism prevailing in business many times people are ruled by their emotions and prejudices.  The homely guy had nearly two decades of experience but he was the first one gone out of the program that summer.  I hung on until the season slowed down in October.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have never had anything but good experiences with HD customer service.  This is Vermont, however, and they’re probably all very stoned and happy.

The Chronic & power tools, what could possibly go wrong?  Cut that 2x4 really, REALLLLY slooooow!

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My father in law is a vet.  He tells me every time he goes to Home Depot about the discount. Every so often he runs into somebody who wants multiple forms of proof that he is a vet, which ticks him off.  He’s the assistant commander of the local American Legion, and he goes to the VA for medical services, so he has the IDs, but he doesn’t like it when somebody questions his authenticity.

It’s usually hard to find somebody to help you at Home Depot, and many of the ones who are there have only limited knowledge.  Not like the old family hardware store where the old guy knew everything. 

I usually look look up what I want on line before I go so that I can find it easier.  It works for Lowe’s, too. I go in there knowing that the item is in bay 12 of aisle 7, or whatever.

Home Depot has the best bedding plants in spring, in these parts.  They actually contract with a plant care company that knows how to water plants etc - plants are in GREAT shape.  Even some of the local nurseries, workers don't know how to water so every pot or pack gets moist, and Lowes....fuhgettaboutit

If you are going to Home Depot for customer service, you are going to the wrong store.

This is what happens when locally owned, small stores vanish b/c customers flock to huge box stores to save a couple dimes.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

If you are going to Home Depot for customer service, you are going to the wrong store.

This is what happens when locally owned, small stores vanish b/c customers flock to huge box stores to save a couple dimes.

Save a couple?  More like hundreds and thousands. And they may pick up some DIYer knowledge.

But... Even stores don't have what you want on shelves, you're forced to settle... Or just buy online.

You are right.  You have to give up customer service.  It's over-rated.  The Ace Hardware in my town will eff it up just as bad.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Home Depot has the best bedding plants in spring, in these parts.  They actually contract with a plant care company that knows how to water plants etc - plants are in GREAT shape.  Even some of the local nurseries, workers don't know how to water so every pot or pack gets moist, and Lowes....fuhgettaboutit

I have relatives who are beekeepers. They are worried about chemicals on plants from big box stores. I don’t really know anything about it, but I do what I’m told and buy plants from places that advertise that their plants are safe for bees. 

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Went to HD yesterday after work... Get there a few minutes before 8pm... Didn't know they were closing @ 8.  They said: "We are closing, but can get the things you need."

Said: "No thanks and went to Super Walmart across street... They open to midnight?

We are a 24/7/365 world... Some people gotta work... Just stay open.  Holidays, Sundays are things of the past.  Even the USPS was working yesterday and delivered my packages...

Our central air didn't kick on yesterday.Tropical Heating &Cooling came out at 9:30....$203 for a new thermostat.The fella said he had three more service calls on his list after he was finished with our job...including one that consisted of installing a new unit. Amazing...

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Our central air didn't kick on yesterday.Tropical Heating &Cooling came out at 9:30....$203 for a new thermostat.The fella said he had three more service calls on his list after he was finished with our job...including one that consisted of installing a new unit. Amazing...

What was total bill... WiFi T-stat?

4 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I’ve had to call plumbers for leaking water heaters and for broken, frozen pipes. They can charge whatever they want when you are stuck. I know it, they know it, they know that I know it, I know that they know it. Cash if possible. 

10 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’ve had to call plumbers for leaking water heaters and for broken, frozen pipes. They can charge whatever they want when you are stuck. I know it, they know it, they know that I know it, I know that they know it. Cash if possible. 

Don't ever call Roto-Rooter...holy crap ,they are really pricey. 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

That ain't bad... Only 79.  He was probably in and out.

20 minutes..and he looked at our dated furnace ,which is 21 hrs old.

10 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

3 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Over the past month, I've: repaired a leaking toilet, replaced a float valve on a second toilet, recharged the A/C, replaced a partition door in the furnace room, replaced a thermostat, and installed a new crawlspace vent (which required cutting through the brick facade on the house.)  Total cost: $430 for the door, new thermostat (a Nest, $250 and worth it), the vent, and a new angle grinder to cut the brick.  Total cost if I hired someone...probably pushing two grand.

There's a lot to be said for learning how to do these things yourself.  Most of it isn't difficult.  The only real downside is having to shop at Home !@#$ing Depot.  ("Where are your crawlspace vents?"  "Uh...Aisle 15, in the back."  "No, that's electrical, moron.  They're in aisle 42, towards the middle, between masonry and roofing.  Learn your !@#$ing store, you idiot.")

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Honeywell digital stat -120,service call-79.

I just replaced a Honeywell digital.  I'd have given you mine for free, just to get rid of it.