Top CB's

This is evidence that some recently former players and now analysts rely too much on personal knowledge and not on professional evaluation skill... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933092/article/xavier-rhodes-headlines-nfls-top-10-cornerbacks-for-2018?campaign=tw-nf-sf190409184-sf190409184&sf190409184=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I know this is strictly based analytics but Tre has looked the part in every aspect of his game, as a Rookie CB! .. Awesome to hear his name in the conversation . I think he's going to be a top 5 shutdown cb for a long long time

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Marcus Peters is the one on that list I have most issues with. I think he ia a good player but a very overrated one. Makes too many mistakes with his fundamentals. He is a playmaker but he is also someone you can exploit. 

Pff exposes some terrible Peters numbers in that link I posted. Rhodes as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I know this is strictly based analytics but Tre has looked the part in every aspect of his game, as a Rookie CB! .. Awesome to hear his name in the conversation . I think he's going to be a top 5 shutdown cb for a long long time

Pff exposes some terrible Peters numbers in that link I posted. Rhodes as well. 

I was not a big Rhodes guy but I do think he was very very good in 2017.

In daze of yore, it was easy to see who the best Corners were. 4-3, 2 deep Safetys (Free and Strong side). Now, with such high focus on situational defense, a ‘not so good’ Man Cover Corner can look All Pro in area coverages. It’s way to blurry now to separate great from good. They’re the best athletes on the field, so teams play to their specific strengths.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

In daze of yore, it was easy to see who the best Corners were. 4-3, 2 deep Safetys (Free and Strong side). Now, with such high focus on situational defense, a ‘not so good’ Man Cover Corner can look All Pro in area coverages. It’s way to blurry now to separate great from good. They’re the best athletes on the field, so teams play to their specific strengths.

Exactly.

I'll use the NBA for another example.

James harden has long been regarded as one of the worst defenders in the NBA, a veritable turnstile in man and standard zone coverage.

This year, with the help of Chris Paul (top5 all time defensive PG) they changed the entire team defensive system to "switch style man-zone hybrid" where nobody has a true man or zone, just a bunch of roaming defensive assignment switches.

Guess what? He finished the season in the top10 of defensive zone analytics for his position.

Finding the right system for a player's skillset is crucial.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Marcus Peters is the one on that list I have most issues with. I think he ia a good player but a very overrated one. Makes too many mistakes with his fundamentals. He is a playmaker but he is also someone you can exploit. 

Peters reminds me of deion Sanders, very aggressive, makes incredible plays that he shouldn't even be able to, that make your jaw drop.

Then he blows a coverage that a backup could make in his sleep.

He's very feast-famine.

Some people want that, and like it, others want consistency every down.

I like a playmaker like Peters, but he needs to have a "safety net" (pun intended) behind him, a solid, reliable safety to clean up his mistakes, because he will make them, but his turnover potential is just such a weapon.

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed.  He gets turnovers but he also gets smoked. Zay Jones beat him pretty bad on a crossing route last year. Yes, that Zay Jones

6 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Peters reminds me of deion Sanders, very aggressive, makes incredible plays that he shouldn't even be able to, that make your jaw drop.

Then he blows a coverage that a backup could make in his sleep.

He's very feast-famine.

Some people want that, and like it, others want consistency every down.

I like a playmaker like Peters, but he needs to have a "safety net" (pun intended) behind him, a solid, reliable safety to clean up his mistakes, because he will make them, but his turnover potential is just such a weapon.

Yea but Deion ran a 4.2 something fourty , was a shutdown corner before the term existed and was a Return threat to boot 

8 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Exactly.

I'll use the NBA for another example.

James harden has long been regarded as one of the worst defenders in the NBA, a veritable turnstile in man and standard zone coverage.

This year, with the help of Chris Paul (top5 all time defensive PG) they changed the entire team defensive system to "switch style man-zone hybrid" where nobody has a true man or zone, just a bunch of roaming defensive assignment switches.

Guess what? He finished the season in the top10 of defensive zone analytics for his position.

Finding the right system for a player's skillset is crucial.

how's he doing when it only matters in the playoffs?

14 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Tre White will be on this list next year. He was great last year without much of a pass rush...

PFF had him ranked higher than Lattimore.  I find analytics most useful when examining CB effectiveness.  He should be in the honorable mentions at least.  New Orleans is the better team though and Lattimore was the higher pick.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea but Deion ran a 4.2 something fourty , was a shutdown corner before the term existed and was a Return threat to boot 

Oh yeah, I was not saying he is Deion, I was just saying that in terms of the style, it's very feast or famine (that's how Deion was too, he gave up a bunch of big plays, but also made a ton of them, and provided more value than negative, Peters I'm not sure about that though, since he's not on Deion's level)

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

how's he doing when it only matters in the playoffs?

what?

15 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Tre White will be on this list next year. He was great last year without much of a pass rush...

I do not care one lick about anyone else's CB right now.

White is a Beast who will likely improve second year. and he is already top ten in my book.
Vontae Davis is going to improve the secondary as well over Gaines ( loved his speed and hit )

The only time i care about any other CB is when Bills are playing them next week.
Till then , Go Bills !

57 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

PFF had him ranked higher than Lattimore.  I find analytics most useful when examining CB effectiveness.  He should be in the honorable mentions at least.  New Orleans is the better team though and Lattimore was the higher pick.

Lattimore deserved it, Tre was second statistically for corners.

not bad at all

21 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Lattimore is an absolute stud and played a huge part in turning that defense around. How he lasted until #11 I still have no idea.  Behind Garrett he was the obvious can't miss player in that draft. Tre is very, very good though and how he lasted to the Bills eventual pick is equally baffling.  The 2017 corner class is legit.  Tre will get his respect in time, make no mistake about it.  Another year like last year and he will be on all of these lists.  

Edited by GunnerBill