Jerk move?

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This is Vermont, man.  No such policies exist, or better I say...are enforced.  I am an educator as well, and one of our biggest problems is truancy.  Sure, we have policies in place, but ultimately they are never enforced.  Even when reported to DCF they don’t do anything.

In this case, his parents were allowing him to stay home and would call his absence into school.  Again, not the most “skilled” parents in the world, and certainly no importance placed on education, character, or committment in this family.  I’m no being judgmental.  It just is what it is.

Got it.  Well, if his parents are actually backing him up, and the school doesn't have policies about Dr notes etc - sounds like not much you can do.

17 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And not after dark.

Until 17 here.

Really?  Missouri only restricts 1 am to 5 am "unless driving to and from a school activity, job, or for an emergency" 

But they do require a certain number of permit training hours after dark. 

Jerk move?  Not one bit.

I don't know if you would have benefitted from giving yourself 24 hours before reacting.  I try to do that when I'm on the fence about doing/saying something based on my current feelings about a situation.

I think I would have refrained from engaging in a social media conversation with a student.  I would never do anything like that with an employee and that's the only real-life comparison I have.

I'm not saying that I think what you did was necessarily wrong; and I absolutely DO NOT think it was a dick move, in the least.

I think this is something I may have been more likely to do if I didn't give myself enough time to think it through.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Got it.  Well, if his parents are actually backing him up, and the school doesn't have policies about Dr notes etc - sounds like not much you can do.

Really?  Missouri only restricts 1 am to 5 am "unless driving to and from a school activity, job, or for an emergency"

I forget now... It may be 11-6... But usually reigned it in w/son as it started to get dark... In summer around 9...

Gotta check again, daughter is 16 and still learning. I am passing her off to driving school... /smh, boys so much easier to teach.

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Jerk move?  Not one bit.

I don't know if you would have benefitted from giving yourself 24 hours before reacting.  I try to do that when I'm on the fence about doing/saying something based on my current feelings about a situation.

I think I would have refrained from engaging in a social media conversation with a student.  I would never do anything like that with an employee and that's the only real-life comparison I have.

I'm not saying that I think what you did was necessarily wrong; and I absolutely DO NOT think it was a dick move, in the least.

I think this is something I may have been more likely to do if I didn't give myself enough time to think it through.

It’s not my personal FB page, and I do not treat it as such.  None of the “friends” of the Schmarnaw Valley Lacrosse Facebook page are family members or friends of mine.  I use it to communicate information pertaining to the team (e.g., practice times, cancellations) to players and parents.  Every once in a great while I will comment on a player or alums page if they post about a great achievement or something like that.

In this case, I was acknowledging his awesome day of fishing.  Brook trout season is a huge deal up here ?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s not my personal FB page, and I do not treat it as such.  None of the “friends” of the Schmarnaw Valley Lacrosse Facebook page are family members or friends of mine.  I use it to communicate information pertaining to the team (e.g., practice times, cancellations) to players and parents.  Every once in a great while I will comment on a player or alums page if they post about a great achievement or something like that.

In this case, I was acknowledging his awesome day of fishing.  Brook trout season is a huge deal up here ?

I can see why the kid was torn. No offense, I'd put the brook before the stick.  And in doing so, I would have let it slide.  Now, if it was some BS activity... Yeah, call him out.

Working a nice fly over LAX is a no brainer.  IMO, more important recreation.  Same with the bonfire.  There is something primal here over a gratuitous game.

Don't have to agree... You're the coach.  But this is why I would have let it slide.  Fishing and fire has more cultural significance.

Now... You just !@#$ed with his mind even more... He won't learn.  You should have been straight up, private with him... IMO.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I can see why the kid was torn. No offense, I'd put the brook before the stick.  And in doing so, I would have let it slide.  Now, if it was some BS activity... Yeah, call him out.

Working a nice fly over LAX is a no brainer.  IMO, more important recreation.  Same with the bonfire.  There is something primal here over a gratuitous game.

Don't have to agree... You're the coach.  But this is why I would have let it slide.  Fishing and fire has more cultural significance.

Now... You just !@#$ed with his mind even more... He won't learn.  You should have been straight up, private with him... IMO.

You’re ridiculous.  You can’t skip a varsity sport game...the last game of our season...our senior game!!!  To go fishing and have a bonfire!!!   Are you freaking kidding me with this absurdity??  You are banned from this thread.  Go open a lock or something...

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You’re ridiculous.  You can’t skip a varsity sport game...the last game of our season...our senior game!!!  To go fishing and have a bonfire!!!   Are you freaking kidding me with this absurdity??  You are banned from this thread.  Go open a lock or something...

LoL... I said I would take the counter point.

And yes you can in trout country!  Culturally significant.

Do they have Varsity fishing.  Last weekend I just locked the bass team from Mokena, Illinois.  They have a team.

45 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

LoL... I said I would take the counter point.

And yes you can in trout country!  Culturally significant.

Do they have Varsity fishing.  Last weekend I just locked the bass team from Mokena, Illinois.  They have a team.

I hope you’re just busting balls at this point, EIL ??

40 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I hope you’re just busting balls at this point, EIL ??

A little.

But I scored high on empathy... Almost in the "paralyzed zone" where nothing gets accomplished. ?

But, no... We have HS fishing teams... I would think they can letter... LoL... Two kids won a tourney last year... Caught the biggest smallies in lock... All the old guys cried foul since it is technicality a no fishing zone.

But what makes LAX or classic team games better, higher priority.  Kids are pulled in all directions today... Glad he was doing a traditional activity.  He probably didn't want you to get mad.  Must be getting old being the best player on a not so good team.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Depending on how rewarding working with the rest of the team is,  there is something JH can do.  Hand in his resignation at the end of the season, with a letter outlining lack of commitment from some players, and lack of support from school administrators.

5 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Depending on how rewarding working with the rest of the team is,  there is something JH can do.  Hand in his resignation at the end of the season, with a letter outlining lack of commitment from some players, and lack of support from school administrators.

Yeah.

But... Sounds like this kid is a cancer.  Should have nipped it in bud.  But, if he is only good one on team... Everybody whores for the kid.  Betcha his mother laughed it off.

Did his parents put some heat on him?

Nah, not a jerk move.  

But further proof that intelligence and the frequency of use of social media are often inversely proportionate.

Kids.  Don't know how you have the patience to deal with that crap. 

Much to my surprise.  I received an email from my AD today, and despite our forfeit, we actually made state playoffs as the 12th seed (out of 13).  We play up north (about 10 miles from the Canadian border) on Wednesday against the reigning state champs in my division.  Going to be a slaughter, but it’s cool to get invited to the dance.  Last year, we won our first playoff game in program history.  I’m happy for my players...there are some really good kids on my team.

Pseudonymn Paul has played his last game this season.  I will have a heart to heart with him tomorrow at practice....provided he shows.