All Time Bills 53 man Roster

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

While there's been some great feedback in this thread, I'm impressed by how much this list would resemble my own.

We've had a lot of great backs over the years and I'd love to carry more than 4!  

And as others have mentioned, I'd add a ST spot for Tasker.  

Fun exercise for the offseason.

It's something I was thinking about doing being born in 1957 and my memories of the Bills going back to 1963 and starting a scrap book from the Buffalo Evening News and the Courier Express newspapers.

Such wonderful memories

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I thought it would be fun to put together a 53 man roster based on the Bills history from 1960 to 2017

Here is my All Bills team

QB - Jim Kelly, Joe Ferguson, Jack Kemp

RB - OJ Simpson, Thurman Thomas, Joe Cribbs, Leshon McCoy

FB - Cookie Gilcrist

OT - Harold Ballard, Wil Wolford, Stew Barber, Dave Foley

OG - Joe Delamilure, Reggie McKenzie, Jim Ritcher, Billy Shaw

C - Kent Hull, Al Bemiller

WR - Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler, Elbert Dubenion, Bob Chandler

TE - Pete Metzellars, Charles Clay

KR/PR - Terrance McGee, Wallace Francis

P - Paul McGuire

K - Pete Gogolak

DE - Bruce Smith,  Ron McDole, Jerry Hughes, Earl Edwards

DT - Fred Smerlas, Ted Washington, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway

LB - Cornelius Bennett, Mike Stratton, Jim Haslett, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Darryl Talley, Shane Conlan

CB - Nate Odems, Antoine Winfield, Robert James, Butch Byrd

S - Mark Kelso, Jeff Nixon, George Saimes, Tony Greene, Steve Freeman

Please review and let me know your thoughts

LOL. Who are "Nate Odems:, "Harold Ballard", " Joe Delamilure ", "Wil Wolford", and "Leshon McCoy"??

Edited by mileena

19 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I honestly was comparing Fred Jackson to Cribbs, leaned to Cribbs due to his contribution to playoff teams against Fred's longevity

It came down to Clements vs Winfield, tough choice

Personally, I would break a Freddie/Cribbs tie with the facts that Freddie wanted to continue with the Bills and pushed to retire as a Bill.  Cribbs left on his own and then was "forced" to return when the USFL folded.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mileena said:

LOL. Who are "Nate Odems:, "Harold Ballard", " Joe Delamilure ", "Wil Wolford", and "Leshon McCoy"??

Geez, some of you guys are so lame about typos and misspellings, especially when you consider most probably come from autocorrect.

Just now, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Geez, some of you guys are so lame about typos and misspellings, especially when you consider most probably come from autocorrect.

Thank you for your input, I just tried to put out a topic that would be fun and would have a lot of different thoughts and opinions.  

Just St trying to spice up the off-season

7 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Thank you for your input, I just tried to put out a topic that would be fun and would have a lot of different thoughts and opinions.  

Just St trying to spice up the off-season

I like the topic.  I was commenting about mileena laughing at typos with the common dumb "Who are..."

12 hours ago, natedawg3535 said:

good list but deffinatly different then mine , but i have to be honest.......i dont know some of the older players you have listed but heres some names i thought shoulda been on

1. Fred Jackson

2. Ruben Brown

3. John Fina

4. Aaron Schobel

5. Nate Clements ( i feel like he is always underated )

6. Henry Jones

7. Kyle Wiliiams

8. Bryce Paup

9. Brian Moorman

10. Steve Tasker

The more older players, the better for salary cap purposes.  ?

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

18 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Ernie Warlick instead of Clay

Archie Matsos instead of Spikes

Booker Edgerson instead of Edwards

Christie over Gogolak

Moorman over McGuire

Wallace Francis?

Where's Steve Tasker?

Maybe the name got changed by autocorrect but who is Archie Matsos?  When did he play?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Here's what I'd change:

K:  I'd have Christie

LB:  Paul instead of Spikes

CB: Edgerson instead of Odoms.  Edgerson was actually as good if not better than Byrd

TE:  Ernie Warlick over Clay

Edgerson was the best one on one cover guy in the AFL; that coming from the players! Agree with Warlick too! Good post!

41 minutes ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Maybe the name got changed by autocorrect but who is Archie Matsos?  When did he play?

1964, if you have to ask, you don't know; great LB!

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Personally, I would break a Freddie/Cribbs tie with the facts that Freddie wanted to continue with the Bills and pushed to retire as a Bill.  Cribbs left on his own and then was "forced" to return when the USFL folded.

Another good post, is TBD returning to quality?

4 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

It's something I was thinking about doing being born in 1957 and my memories of the Bills going back to 1963 and starting a scrap book from the Buffalo Evening News and the Courier Express newspapers.

Such wonderful memories

This team and the city has a great history; thanks for adding to this topic!

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

My apologies for my earlier comment on Cookie's blocking, will defer to Madden, " Madden said, "Cookie Gilchrist may have been the best blocking running back that ever played the game." "

Not really, Maguire played LB as a fourth/sub package linebacker on the '64-65 teams, then became purely a punter, although I remember him also playing on the kickoff team [He and Gogolak would sometimes play games side by side to fake out the other team].  Cookie always wanted to play both ways as he did in Canada, but Saban thought he was too valuable to the offense.  Cookie could have been Ray Nitschke on D.

Another great post!

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Some random comments on who wouldn't make my team:

- Fergy was THE Sad Sack, I don't want him bringing down the rest of the team.

- Kemp may have been good/better in the mid-60's, but he was God-awful at the end.

- Ruben Brown quit on the Bills in 2003, and he made critical mistakes at the worst possible times.

- Ernie Warlick may have been a good TE, but he was the absolute worst sports guy ever on Channel 2 weekends, just brutal, sorry Ernie, but bad enough to not make my team.

- Kyle Williams may be a great leader of suck teams, but he would be just a guy on the all-time 53. Pass.

- Lil Antoine (on the Bills) was a great tackler with marginal coverage skills and non-existent playmaking skills. Looking at the all-time roster, he's my 10th-best CB.

- No dedicated long snapper for me, one of my stars will have to do.

Should've found a spot for Ron McDole, oh well.

I have to agree with many of your points!

10 hours ago, Coach55 said:

A will get a lot of flack for this one, but I would take Flutie over Ferguson, hands down. 

I could be swayed, another great post!

Great topic with great responses - the board is coming back!

8 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

What I do remember of games and limited reading on the subject, Gilchrist would steer towards an opposing player, Jim Brown would take a hit if he had to, O.J. Simpson had great success avoiding contact, thanks to his blockers and Simpson's abilities.

You are absolutely correct. He always seemed to WANT to run into someone. I remember when he was kicking off, he would kick the ball, then run down the field with his arms spread and make noises like an airplane and knock down several of the opposition on the way down the field. On 2 separate occasions, he ran into Patriot DBs and cause them to swallow their tongues. In spite of the fact that we also had Wray Carlton, an excellent ball carrier in the same backfield, when it was 3rd and less than 5, there was no question who would carry the ball and they STILL could not stop him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PBLESS said:

You are absolutely correct. He always seemed to WANT to run into someone. I remember when he was kicking off, he would kick the ball, then run down the field with his arms spread and make noises like an airplane and knock down several of the opposition on the way down the field. On 2 separate occasions, he ran into Patriot DBs and cause them to swallow their tongues. In spite of the fact that we also had Wray Carlton, an excellent ball carrier in the same backfield, when it was 3rd and less than 5, there was no question who would carry the ball and they STILL could not stop him.

By the way, as I understand it, because he had severe dementia when he died, his family had scientists look at his brain [probably part of that NFL study] and it was basically mush. Another aside, even though he pretty well did as he pleased with regard to team activity and practices and he had multiple scrapes with the law---------------the guys who he played with viewed him as a sort of Superman, an indomitable figure who could do things no one else could. I wonder what he might have accomplished if he had gone to college and played in the NFL with coaches who could control him. { I think he was a 28 yr old rookie when he came from Canada to Buffalo] 

9 hours ago, Rico said:

Some random comments on who wouldn't make my team:

- Kyle Williams may be a great leader of suck teams, but he would be just a guy on the all-time 53. Pass.

i just did a random google search of the best defensive tackles of all time and kyle williams pops up at #61  .....thats all DTs on all teams......of all time and you dont think he deserves to be on our top 53 ?!?! 

#stuckinthepast

Edited by natedawg3535

12 hours ago, Coach55 said:

A will get a lot of flack for this one, but I would take Flutie over Ferguson, hands down. 

Hmm, let's see.  Fergy had longevity.  He was a game manager handing off to OJ in his prime as the team had 2 winning seasons and  made the playoffs once in the 70s.  He was the QB for the Chuck Knox teams, winning the division in 1980 and making the playoffs in '81.  Kelly was drafted in '83 to replace him and he was let go even though Kelly went to the USFL. (Dufek, Mathison, Ferragamo, Yuck!)

Flutie's stay in Buffalo was a lot shorter but his teams were winners, but I think only somewhat due to him as the Defense was good. 

I lean towards Fergy for his many years as a Bill.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 6:15 PM, RPbillsfan said:

I thought it would be fun to put together a 53 man roster based on the Bills history from 1960 to 2017

Here is my All Bills team

QB - Jim Kelly, Joe Ferguson, Jack Kemp

RB - OJ Simpson, Thurman Thomas, Joe Cribbs, Leshon McCoy

FB - Cookie Gilcrist

OT - Harold Ballard, Wil Wolford, Stew Barber, Dave Foley

OG - Joe Delamilure, Reggie McKenzie, Jim Ritcher, Billy Shaw

C - Kent Hull, Al Bemiller

WR - Andre Reed, Eric Moulds, Jerry Butler, Elbert Dubenion, Bob Chandler

TE - Pete Metzellars, Charles Clay

KR/PR - Terrance McGee, Wallace Francis

P - Paul McGuire

K - Pete Gogolak

DE - Bruce Smith,  Ron McDole, Jerry Hughes, Earl Edwards

DT - Fred Smerlas, Ted Washington, Tom Sestak, Jim Dunaway

LB - Cornelius Bennett, Mike Stratton, Jim Haslett, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Darryl Talley, Shane Conlan

CB - Nate Odems, Antoine Winfield, Robert James, Butch Byrd

S - Mark Kelso, Jeff Nixon, George Saimes, Tony Greene, Steve Freeman

Please review and let me know your thoughts

Henry Jones over Jeff Nixon.

Brian Moorman over Paul McGuire.

Aaron Schobel or Ben Williams or Mario Williams over Jerry Hughes and Big Pat Williams over Earl Edwards.

Nate Odomes was my dude on those Super Bowl teams, but if you took Charles Romes over him I could understand.  Old heads would probably say Booker Edgerson.

1 hour ago, natedawg3535 said:

i just did a random google search of the best defensive tackles of all time and kyle williams pops up at #61  .....thats all DTs on all teams......of all time and you dont think he deserves to be on our top 53 ?!?! 

#stuckinthepast

I only need 4 DT's and his play hasn't been better than any of my 4 IMO. Then there's his leadership, which is pretty damn good, but who is he really going to lead on that team? He'd be a sidekick at best.

The other observation I'll make staring at this line-up a bit is how relatively above average our Safety play has been throughout the team's history.  While the players selected are good, none would ever be close to the HOF or even 5-7x Pro-Bowlers.... makes me excited that we seem to finally have a pair now that might make this line-up one day!

Edited by cage

14 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

I think auto-correct would have given us Joe Crib, Nate Oh Damn, Joe Deli Meat,  Will Wolf Ford and Loser McCoy.... but that's just a guess

• Haha (+1) 1

Qb. --- Jim Kelly

joe Ferguson

Jack Kemp

RB. ---  O.J

Thurman Thomas

Cookie

McCoy

FB. --- Jim Braxton

Wr. ----  Andre Reed

Eric Moulds

Bob Chandler