John Clayton: Best Scenario - Josh Allen Starts in December

32 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

You bring up a good point.  Just how short will the leash be?  With Allen and McCarron, whoever starts will know that there is a guy on the sidelines who could be seen as a better option if things aren’t working out. Three bad games? Five bad games? Put n the other guy if there is going to be a tough game and the Bills are a significant underdog? (Which is what may have been the case when Peterman went in against the Chargers. Try the new guy and send a message to the old guy in a game that would have been an upset if the Bills won no matter who played.)

Which was my stance with TT.  He needed a kick in the pants and for a few games he improved.  

But then he reverted to Typical Taylor.  

Get the running going and supplement it with good effective passing.   

17 hours ago, Lfod said:

Best case scenario is any of them becoming a franchise QB for the Bills. Although it's most likely Allen because he's the only one that hasn't failed a shot because he hasn't had a shot yet. 

The Bills QB position has what, 5 starts total,

so I'm not sure how anyone has failed yet.

On a side note ESPN has Buffalo ranked last in the NFL when it comes to confidence at the QB position.

Myself personally, McCarron is going to be an upgrade in the passing department over TT, he's a good scrambler and knows how to manage a football game. Josh Allen is a once in a lifetime young QB prospect in my humble opinion. I haven't been more excited about the Bills QB position since the days of JK.

Time will tell...

Edited by Figster

19 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

John Clayton is, perhaps, the most knowledgeable analyst I ever heard. He has his ear to all insider info and doesn’t mints words. I would head his advice. 

Well, that would explain his bad breath.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Figster said:

The Bills QB position has what, 5 starts total,

so I'm not sure how anyone has failed yet.

Failure was to strong of a word. AJ has the experience and talent to be a backup but he will have to prove he can be a starter. It could very well be another season of a backup QB pretending to be a starting QB. He didn't fail as a starter because he failed to become one until now is what I meant for him. Going to the team with a QB situation like ours isn't exactly grabbing the bull by the horns and beating out a proven guy. 

I'll cut Peterman some slack, but he hasn't finished a game he's started in, so him just finishing an entire game would be progress. 

Josh Allen as far as the NFL goes is unknown. The only guy that hasn't started a game in the NFL at NFL speeds. He wasn't in a game in the NFL and got benched. He wasn't a backup for years plucked off another team. 

That's all I meant really. I hope one of them can be stellar and cement the role. Two guys have had thier foot in the door longer then Allen has though so his unknown factor is intriguing. Two of our QBs have have more opportunity. I support all 3 but am interested mostly in the guy who hasn't had an opportunity yet. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I see AJ playing at least 6 games. If our record is horrible after 6 games (i.e., 2-4 or even 1-5), i can see the coaching staff making the switch. We have zero obligations towards AJ. Question I have is if we are 1-5 or even 2-4 do we make the switch towards Allen or Peterman?

At 1-5 or 2-4 I could easily see the Bills going with Peterman for another 4-6 games to see what he does. If he fails, Allen is brought in for mop up duty in the final month of the season and the Allen era begins. 

The Bills will not make a switch at QB as long as we’re .500 imho. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I see AJ playing at least 6 games. If our record is horrible after 6 games (i.e., 2-4 or even 1-5), i can see the coaching staff making the switch. We have zero obligations towards AJ. Question I have is if we are 1-5 or even 2-4 do we make the switch towards Allen or Peterman?

At 1-5 or 2-4 I could easily see the Bills going with Peterman for another 4-6 games to see what he does. If he fails, Allen is brought in for mop up duty in the final month of the season and the Allen era begins. 

The Bills will not make a switch at QB as long as we’re .500 imho. 

sounds logical to me bobo

On 5/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, Shaw66 said:

Pretty unusual for the second string guy to take over the starting spot. Usually happens only when there's an injury, the games are meaningless or the strarter is in a bad slump AND the playoffs are on the line.  

It ordinarily doesn't happen just because someone decides it's a good time to start the rookie.  

This is true.  I think Reid started Mahomes in week 17 because he had decided that Alex Smith was not going to be a Chief in 2018.  Ususally, however, a switch will happen either because of injury or because your starter is proving to be hopelessly ineffective, in which case the team is probably not waiting until week 17 to pull the trigger.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:57 AM, BuffaloRush said:

05-25 John Clayton on Schopp and Bulldog

http://www.wgr550.com/media/podcast/schopp-and-bulldog

So I guess John Clayton is coming to Buffalo for a Fatasy Football convention this summer. He was on Schopp and Bulldog to promote it a bit but did talk some Bills.

Of course, they asked when the Bills should play Allen.  John said they should follow KC’s lead and start him in December like Mahomes did - when he played a meaningless game in Week 17.  Surprisingly he was down on Chicago starting Trubisky in Week 5 and felt it was too early.  

This comment kind of made me scratch my head because many others have said you need to get him on the field sooner.  Obviously not the first week but at some point before Week 17.  The other difference is that the Bills might not have a QB on the roster that can perform like an Alex Smith who had one of his best seasons statiscally  in 2017.  So the gab between McCarron and Allen might not be as large.  

Im going to guess that Allen starts in Week 10 Of the season which would be November.  Still I think Clayton is off on this one

I'd love to see them playing him Week 17 only. That would be great handling.

Many have indeed said he should play earlier. Most of those are Bills fans. The draft folks said over and over he shouldn't be picked by a team that would play him early, that he needed a year or maybe even two of development. That's what the posters on this board said as well, and was often used as an argument against picking Allen.

Only since he became a Bill have folks on here suddenly wanted to see him early. Playing a guy too early can really hurt him. 

There's certainly a chance he's a lot better than advertised. It's not likely that he'll be good enough to be intelligently and carefully played early this year. Even his own QB coach, Jordan Palmer, thinks he would be much better off being sat this year.

If he does play, I only hope that it's a cold-blooded thoughtful decision, arrived at only from watching him and seeing where he is and what would most benefit him. Fan pressure and owner pressure should have absolutely zero impact on the decision.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, NewDayBills said:

If he wins the job against a 5 year NFL vet, that means he's ready. It makes no sense to start McCarron if Allen out plays him.

That has a lot of merit.

I myself would first like to see AJ play a handful of consecutive regular season games to see what he can do. Then decide if Allen is the way to go the rest of the way.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, greeneblitz said:

Ive never understood this thinking, so we hope AJ McCarron is bad enough for Allen to start in December? So we waste 3 months that we should be developing Josh Allen for a guy that may or may not even be here next year? No way, if Allen is even close to McCarron, he should start.

If Allen only starts game 16 in week 17 that would imply AJ is resting for the playoffs.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, greeneblitz said:

Ive never understood this thinking, so we hope AJ McCarron is bad enough for Allen to start in December? So we waste 3 months that we should be developing Josh Allen for a guy that may or may not even be here next year? No way, if Allen is even close to McCarron, he should start.

It's based on the fact that you can develop guys from the bench. That's a stone-cold fact. Mental reps count and cause improvement. Not throwing a guy in is ideal for a guy who needs to improve his mechanics, because he can imprint the correct movements. And lo and behold, Allen is just such a guy. He needs to get the mechanical movements deep into muscle memory, something you don't have time to worry about when you're game-planning as a rookie. There's a ton that can be learned when not starting.

Putting a guy who's unprepared in early only makes him feel (correctly) that he's inadequate. It may be that he might be plenty adequate down the road, but feelings don't recognize distinctions like this.

The three best QBs in the game, Rodgers, Brady and Brees, all spent their first year on the bench. Did this handicap their careers? Not at all. In fact, in Rodgers' case, he visibly improved a great deal from his first to his third season, all from the bench. He was awful in his first two preaseasons.

It's not a waste having a guy learning on the bench.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

John Clayton knows less about the Bills then 90% of this board. I never understood why a local station, has a national guy come on to speak about the Bills? He knows nothing about the Bills. Why would any of us care what his opinion of them is?

Because 90% of the rest of that show and station is people like guys from this board calling.... And it's not better. 

How about we put both AJ and Allen in the backfield, and work out of the shotgun?  Nobody will know what we're doing...including us.  (Under Coach McDermott, this idea DOA.  Under Coach Wrecks, still under consideration.)

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013