What are YOUR expectations if Allen wins the start?

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it is all going to depend on how Allen is used especially if its first year.

If they put it on his shoulders to win.....I expect great plays and big mistakes

If they treat it like Big Ben's first year?  Allen could actually be ok in his rookie season......the steelers played great defense, ran the ball A LOT, and had Ben make easy throws.

(edit....Virgil beat me to it by 60 seconds)

Enough with the Roethlisberger comparisons here, or rather the 2004 Steelers comparison.

The 2004 Steelers were the #1 defense in the league. In yards AND in points. They allowed opposing QBs a cumulative passer rating of 68.0 that year.

This allowed them to lead the league -by nearly 80 attempts - in rushes per game while still winning a ton. 618 rushes, while the Broncos were 2nd with 534.

Yes, the Steelers did a terrific job with Roethlisberger. But the reason they were able to do so is that the rest of the team was absolutely sensational.

Edited by Thurman#1

Sorry but as much as I would like to speculate this year it is NOT just a new quarterback!

New Quarterback

New Offensive Coordinator

New Playbook

New/untested Offensive line

I HATE to think that they would rush Allen into the game (even if he is the best QB) before the OC and offensive line gets settled in. While testing the new system, I'd asoon they risk Nate or AJ - NOT our Future Franchise guy.

YMMV

• Like (+1) 1

it really isn't about wins and losses for me. nor is it about the passer rating as was mentioned earlier in this thread. if anyone learned anything about passer rating with Tyrod, it can be a very deceptive metric.

i guess one of the two bggest things for me with Allen is that when he is in there that he leads a passing attack that is considerably better than 28th in the league. the other being that he passes the eye test. there are no real measurables with the eye test, but i know when i see a guy whether he has 'it' or not and i want to see Allen have, 'it'.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Foxx said:

it really isn't about wins and losses for me. nor is it about the passer rating as was mentioned earlier in this thread. if anyone learned anything about passer rating with Tyrod, it can be a very deceptive metric.

i guess one of the two bggest things for me with Allen is that when he is in there that he leads a passing attack that is considerably better than 28th in the league. the other being that he passes the eye test. there are no real measurables with the eye test, but i know when i see a guy whether he has 'it' or not and i want to see Allen have, 'it'.

That "it" factor for me translates to the ability of a QB to impose his will on opposing defenses... Move the chains down the field decisively, and consistently, then strike when in the red zone.

It's the trait of the elite, and If Allen starts, it's what I'd like to see.

Even if Allen wins the starting job in camp I’m not judging him this season unless his performance is stellar.  I sure wouldn’t expect that.  I’d expect a bumpy road (with signs of growth) until probably year 3.  Patience.  

Edited by BarleyNY

23 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Jim Kelly came to the Bills already 'battle hardened' by the USFL.

Bills fans are still spoiled by that unique situation.

Give the new kid a chance, and some time.

I am of the belief that he will pay us all back, immeasurably.

The Bills finished 4-12 Kelly's first season. The team was young, but Smith, Reed, and Talley were on the roster.  Despite many mistakes, like a bunch of late game interceptions, there was no doubt Kelly was the guy.

I kind of expect the same from Allen.

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

That "it" factor for me translates to the ability of a QB to impose his will on opposing defenses... Move the chains down the field decisively, and consistently, then strike when in the red zone.

It's the trait of the elite, and If Allen starts, it's what I'd like to see.

I would like to see a coaching staff that could play to his strengths. I think that is where it starts and ends with Allen. I have already seen 2 years of run on first and second down, and then have him throw on third and long with pressure coming most every time. I would have loved to have seen a team drop 9 against him and watched him pick it apart or use his legs to get 1st downs. I saw too many series end up stalled from poor play calling and no run game.

In Allens first year he had Brian Hill to hand off to. If Hill would have played as a senior he could have been the NCAA all time rushing leader, or at least in the top 3. And all we did was hand off to him, and it would be off tackle 90% of the time. Our OC does not know how to make other teams guess which play he will call. He is very predictable. And I have no clue as to why. Which made it harder on the whole offense, including Allen. If Bohl would quit being loyal to Vigen, Wyoming would win 10 plus games a year. How Vigen has gotten Allen and Wentz drafted in the 1st round is beyond me. I am praying this staff uses Allen's strengths and can put together an offense where he can bring out the best in his offensive players. Allen is used to the worst, so it shouldn't be too hard.

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I would like to see a coaching staff that could play to his strengths.

Develop and maximize his strengths is more like it.... Although, I don't see how you do that for a rookie without the safety net of a solid TE.

• Like (+1) 1

My expectations will still be the same. 7-10 wins and another shot at a playoff berth. The defense is going to be that good no matter who the starter is. McCarron isn't anything special, so having him as the starter doesn't make me think otherwise about our chances. 

1 hour ago, #34fan said:

Develop and maximize his strengths is more like it.... Although, I don't see how you do that for a rookie without the safety net of a solid TE.

Elway lived off of the TE out in the flats after he rolled away from the play action. Be it a running back or tight end or slot back, just have a relief valve for him.

7 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Elway lived off of the TE out in the flats after he rolled away from the play action. Be it a running back or tight end or slot back, just have a relief valve for him.

A big short-range (3rd down) target to help sustain drives would build confidence... I'd pull the trigger on Barnidge if I wanted to help my rookie.

I expect great things. Big plays, clutch plays, and a lot of turnovers. I expect turnovers of a young QB. Those are mistakes you learn from. If he slings it and makes things happen I'm more than willing to take that ride with him. If he tries too hard to play it safe I'll worry.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Rob's House said:

I expect great things. Big plays, clutch plays, and a lot of turnovers. I expect turnovers of a young QB. Those are mistakes you learn from. If he slings it and makes things happen I'm more than willing to take that ride with him. If he tries too hard to play it safe I'll worry.

Are you referring to JA or NP?

Or both? 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have a lot of expectations, positive or negative.  I think there may be some long pass attempts, more than might be typical of a new QB.  I also expect tthere is going to be a learning curve, but I really don't know how McDermott and Daboll are going to handle him or how quickly he can navigate that learning curve.