What are YOUR expectations if Allen wins the start?

6 minutes ago, Lfod said:

My expectations is that is he starts the experiment begins and Allen stays the starter until the experiment is over regulardless of the outcome. If you start him and he gets killed I won't be listening to excuses because I wanted the team to be patient and not start him until everything around him was ready as well as him being fully ready for the NFL.

If he obliterates McCarron and Peterman in Pre-seaz, there's an argument that he IS ready.  -Hard for any GM or HC not to start the guy who gives you the best shot to win.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, #34fan said:

If he obliterates McCarron and Peterman in Pre-seaz, there's an argument that he IS ready.  -Hard for any GM or HC not to start the guy who gives you the best shot to win.

I understand that. If he starts and gets injured for the season behind a weak offensive line then the criticism on starting him will be justified.

If the receivers can't get separation and he is forced to run for his life and can't get settled in then the criticism for starting him would be justified. The same if the passes are rushed and tipped to the other team. 

Not saying anything bad will happen but starting him to me means that the offense around him is built to win as well. If not sacrifice AJ for the season and save reputations.  

I wanna know if Allen is struggling it's because he is at fault. I don't want excuses about the o-line or WRs. I want the situation around him set up so he can be successful.

I'm greedy. I want an entire offenseive system and not just focused completely on QB. Especially a rookie. 

Edited by Lfod

Look at what Peyton Manning did his rookie year. He threw for over 3500 yds and 26 td with 28 int. The Colts didn’t have the same team the Bills do this season. 

I’d settle to see a couple 300 yd 3 touchdown games and see some games where he just didn’t have it. 

Allen is going to be special. I believe that with everything I know about football. 

12 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I understand that. If he starts and gets injured for the season behind a weak offensive line then the criticism on starting him will be justified.

If the receivers can't get separation and he is forced to run for his life and can't get settled in then the criticism for starting him would be justified. The same if the passes are rushed and tipped to the other team. 

Not saying anything bad will happen but starting him to me means that the offense around him is built to win as well. If not sacrifice AJ for the season and save reputations.  

I wanna know if Allen is struggling it's because he is at fault. I don't want excuses about the o-line or WRs. I want the situation around him set up so he can be successful.

I'm greedy. I want an entire offenseive system and not just focused completely on QB. Especially a rookie. 

I see...  In your mind, there's no scenario where Allen should start the season. -Even if he proves to be better than his competition. He was drafted for the future and not the present.

-Fair enough.

24 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I'm in the "don't start Josh Allen until he is ready" group.  That being said, is he obliterates (good word) the competition I'm all for starting him!

definition of obliterate:  destroy entirely;  wipe out.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm in the "don't start Josh Allen until he is ready" group.  That being said, is he obliterates (good word) the competition I'm all for starting him!

definition of obliterate:  destroy entirely;  wipe out.

-That's what it should take. -Nothing less.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

I see...  In your mind, there's no scenario where Allen should start the season. -Even if he proves to be better than his competition. He was drafted for the future and not the present.

-Fair enough.

Well mostly but not completely. If the coaches of the team are confident that Dabolls scheme is firmly in place and can be successful with Josh Allen as the starter then why wait, start him. 

47 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We are expecting all these things from a rookie QB?

hmmmmm.....tall order sir

If Allen wins the position then he should be “that” good.  

This is what one gets from these types of threads.  

In truth i expect Allen to sit and learn. 

10 minutes ago, #34fan said:

-That's what it should take. -Nothing less.

Let me ask you a question about a hypothetical. Let's say Allen is clearly the best QB coming out of camp but other players on the offence are not performing to expectations. Do you still start him? 

I won't judge your answer I am genuinely interested in the answer. 

Edited by Lfod

7 hours ago, Golden Goat said:

He'll make some brilliant plays and some cringe-worthy plays, and he'll learn from them. Next year, when we'll have a boatload of money in FA, surround him with legitimate offensive threats and take the training wheels off.

I wouldn't start Allen this year.The current projected offensive line starting group could possibly one of the worst in the league. I'm willing to bite the bullet for a year so he can view the NFL game and stay healthy while doing so.Just my two cents worth...

14 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Let me ask you a question about a hypothetical. Let's say Allen is clearly the best QB coming out of camp but other players on the offence are not performing to expectations. Do you still start him? 

You mean have him lead a band of scrubs by example, POSSIBLY earning the trust and respect of his teamates inadvertently stimulating them overachieve while endearing himself to a grateful and energized fanhood?

Probably not.

For me to give Allen start, his Chemistry with the O-line and targets would have to be outstanding. -The whole EJ experience left me wary of exposing a young QB.

Edited by #34fan
  • Like (+1) 2

It's all about the offensive line and the supporting cast.  If he has was Dak Prescott did in his rookie year, I'd expect him to do pretty well.

That doesn't look like the case, so I'd expect him to not do very well.  He has an iffy O line, at best; the oldest RB corps in the league and mediocre receivers, at best.

Being a rookie in this situation, my hope would be that he stays healthy and that Beane gives him the support he needs.  See:  Goff and Wentz.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If Allen wins the position then he should be “that” good.  

This is what one gets from these types of threads.  

In truth i expect Allen to sit and learn. 

Allen may well win the start but if he does it is far more likely he is the best QB on the team due to AJ or NP either getting hurt or sucking.  My expectation of Allen is that he needs at least a year to learn the game and 8-8 is a reasonable expectation. 

Somewhere around 22 TD's, 17 INT's, a 59.4% completion rating, 3,593 yards, and an 83.3 passing rating.  That would be a good sign moving forward.

Edited by Doc Brown

15 hours ago, #34fan said:

Josh Allen had a modest fan club on this board before the Bills drafted him... Since Beane did the deed, many who were on the fence have swung over to Allentown. -Even some long-time residents of Rosenburg are begrudgingly starting relocate.

I never cared for either town, but as a Bills fan, I'm always on the lookout for a good N.Y. real estate. if the rookie wins the start, I NEED 7 wins. -With at least a 3-game streak... If I see that kind of value, I might just pack up and sell my home in McCarron.... FYI, I also have a small condo in Nathanville. It's not officially on the Market yet, but I'll consider any reasonable offers. :P.

Broken legs for McCarron and Peterman and Tonya Harding acting twitchy?

Seriously, shouldn't be any expectations, especially if Allen is starting early. About the only expectations that would be reasonable would be that he would play like a rookie.

Wins are a team thing. And it's very very early days. Rather than expectations, hopes would be far more reasonable. I'd hope for slow steadyish improvement.

Edited by Thurman#1