What are YOUR expectations if Allen wins the start?

7 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

This is where either your ignorance, or or laziness to actually research the subject is coming back to bite you in the ass. For starters Allen was the consensus qb to be the MVP. Once people saw what he had to work with and how poor our offense was they couldn't give it to him. Someone as dense as you won't try and comprehend why his numbers were what they were, so I am not even going to try and get it across to you.  Rypien is in an offense that posts big numbers every year. They have great coaching year in and out. Rypiens arm is good enough for college, but he will never be anything but a guy who is a backup in the NFL. Rypien also had to share qb duties with a grad transfer. The grad transfer beat Wyoming with his legs. Not Rypien and his arm. Allen and Wyoming were beating them at BSU going into the 4th quarter. Allen and Wyoming beat them the year before.  Harkins og BSU is one of the best coaches in FBS football.

I do believe the other qb to beat him out was the kid from Fresno State. Allen was hurt and never got to play against him. Fresno had a great defense, and is known for recruiting qb's.  Ever hear of the Carr brothers, Trent Diller and others? Probably not. Why should anyone take your word about the biggest mistake in the draft? What are your credentials? Other than one more goober who thinks he knows football, you have none. He throws hard? Is that the best you can do? Laughable. For a guy that doesn't have a clue to the meaning of pessimistic, I am supposed to read your garbage and believe it? When you had to go back and look up the word pessimistic,  you lost me.  How come you leave out things like his bowl game, the Senior Bowl, the combine? Because it doesn't fit your agenda. So what big word are you going to use this time that you don't know the meaning of? Try the word comprehension. Lmao.

Insulting enough, but not much else.  

I like that you disregard his college performance and tell us that he looked good in the Combine.

By the way, I am very far from alone in my opinion of Allen. Every single person into analytics in sports understands the likelihood of how Allen will turn out. It's far from definite, but betting the favorite is the smart way to go if the odds are even.

Someday you may understand that analytics will almost always come out ahead of the eye test. Analytics helped the Cubs and Red Sox end their misery. It's put the Vegas Golden Knights into the NHL finals.

You might want to read up on analytics. "The Undoing Project" explains it very well. This pre-supposes that you are capable or interested in learning. Hey, anything is possible.

The following article might help you get up to speed.

https://www.ama.org/publications/MarketingNews/Pages/the-undoing-project-book-review.aspx

image.thumb.png.0d75efd520b5de1af6b9b7dd43c81805.png

40 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I like that you disregard his college performance and tell us that he looked good in the Combine.

By the way, I am very far from alone in my opinion of Allen. Every single person into analytics in sports understands the likelihood of how Allen will turn out. It's far from definite, but betting the favorite is the smart way to go if the odds are even.

Someday you may understand that analytics will almost always come out ahead of the eye test. Analytics helped the Cubs and Red Sox end their misery. It's put the Vegas Golden Knights into the NHL finals.

You might want to read up on analytics. "The Undoing Project" explains it very well. This pre-supposes that you are capable or interested in learning. Hey, anything is possible.

https://www.ama.org/publications/MarketingNews/Pages/the-undoing-project-book-review.aspx

Baseball is by far one of the easiest sports to use analytics on though it's still not perfect in a draft situation. If you're a great hitter against **** pitchers in high school your numbers aren't accurate. Football is way harder and Quarterbacks in particular are worse. Their stats are effected by the level of competition, the ability of recievers , line, and running backs(it's a lot easier to defend the pass when you know they can't run). Josh Allen by all accounts suffered from all those things that can effect his stats. That mean you have to watch the games and see why he misses and why he hits.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Kemp said:

Are you serious? I read the article and got little from it except to read more books they are selling. He threw in a part that he didn't draft Gasol because he had a nickname and man boobs. That Lin is Asian and should be small and slow. This article was trash and not sure why you would use it to get across a point. When the day is done you still have to do your homework using all the info. And to do that you would have to use all the different info by putting in the parameters to set your algorithm up correctly. And on top of this the article was written for marketers. Basically telling them to open their eyes and don't be biased with the information put in front of them. It had very little to do with a college qb becoming a pro qb. And the article didn't even bring up football. This is a reach at best. You just wasted precious time of anyone who read this because of you posting it.

Edited by BB@Shooter

15 hours ago, Kemp said:

So analytics is so perfect in predictions that every one of these creeps will put their left pinky finger or left testicle on the chopping block against their predictions?

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd say he'll put up stats similar to Andrew Lucks 1st season. It'll be an up and down season if he starts right out of the gate. He'll have a couple of games that show you why he was drafted where he was....and some that will have the negative minded people here claiming we should have drafted Rosen.

I'll just guess here but maybe a year like this. 

56% completion rate

23 TD's

17 INT's

Best Case: 11-5 season where we challenge NE for the title with a stud rookie QB and ferocious defense ready to roll.

Worst Case: 3-13 season where he looks lost at QB prompting not much faith in him for year 2 regardless of O-line or WR help. The team craters and makes the good vibes from 2017 and building something feel distant.

Realistically: 5-7 win season with hopeful growth from Allen where he has a few good to great games (300 yds and 2-3 TDs) that give you a glimpse of his long term potential ala Carson Wentz year 1. Defense rounds into shape as a Top 10 unit that gives you faith that with some offensive improvement in 2019 they can be a real force.

His stats in my opinion: 3400 yds, 20 TDs 15 INTs 58% completion

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Best Case: 11-5 season where we challenge NE for the title with a stud rookie QB and ferocious defense ready to roll.

Worst Case: 3-13 season where he looks lost at QB prompting not much faith in him for year 2 regardless of O-line or WR help. The team craters and makes the good vibes from 2017 and building something feel distant.

Realistically: 5-7 win season with hopeful growth from Allen where he has a few good to great games (300 yds and 2-3 TDs) that give you a glimpse of his long term potential ala Carson Wentz year 1. Defense rounds into shape as a Top 10 unit that gives you faith that with some offensive improvement in 2019 they can be a real force.

His stats in my opinion: 3400 yds, 20 TDs 15 INTs 58% completion

This is a solid view on this for sure. I like it. 

4 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

This is a solid view on this for sure. I like it. 

Thanks, Truthfully the odds are pretty low that he completely bombs like Ryan Leaf or jumps out big like Russell Wilson year 1 so my realistic prediction is more just off what most rookies do. Even EJ after year 1 had some good some bad, year 2 is the critical one unless year 1 swings big time one or the other.

• Like (+1) 1

My expectations for the discussion on the radio and this board: if and until Allen becomes a consistently good QB people will divide themselves into sides and attack each other like rabid wolves, with each thread or WGR show devolving into the pros and cons of Tyrod Taylor.

My expectations for him if he starts: They will run the ball a LOT and protect him as much as possible to build his confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

first year? 7 wins and I'd be ecstatic. But wins isn't really all. I want to see an actual passing game. A win when we have 75 passing yards doesn't really count. If he's throwing for 300 yds and 3 TDs every week and our Defense loses the game, that doesn't count either. So it's a combo... yes, winning games is what matters... but we all know that there's a lot more that needs to go right than just the play of the Quarterback. If he puts up decent numbers, and LEARNS from his mistakes (that's the key.. he's a rookie, he's GOING to make them.... but does he make them over and over and over, or does he learn?).... then I'm on board. 2-3 Game winning drives would certainly help as well. I want to know if he can come through under pressure, in the clutch.

Edited by CLTbills

If he starts the season, I'm expecting a rough beginning. Hopefully he can get some of the kinks out the first 3 weeks (at Ravens, vs Chargers, at Vikings) because they are going to be tough, no matter who starts at QB. 

I expect a good amount of short to intermediate passes off of PA or RPO's. Pound the rock a bit and force the LBs to focus on the run, then let Allen hit guys up the seam or on slants. I think Allen will try and allow his receivers to make more plays, whether on tighter coverage, back shoulder throws, or 50/50 deep passes with Benjamin being his favorite target since he's the best receiver on the team in regards to these type of passes. On slower developing PA, I think we'll see a good amount of digs and corner routes, Allen throws those well.

I have no idea what his stats will look like, they might not look very good because I think they'll be pretty conservative and rely more on their defense. Hopefully Allen is good enough towards the later part of the year that they open it up a bit more.

6-10 record, a few more throwing TDs than INTs but fairly close, less than 5 rushing TDs, between 2500-3000 yards.

Edit: Assuming he wins the start for game 1 and remains starting the entire season

Edited by That_Guy