What are YOUR expectations if Allen wins the start?

Josh Allen had a modest fan club on this board before the Bills drafted him... Since Beane did the deed, many who were on the fence have swung over to Allentown. -Even some long-time residents of Rosenburg are begrudgingly starting relocate.

I never cared for either town, but as a Bills fan, I'm always on the lookout for a good N.Y. real estate. if the rookie wins the start, I NEED 7 wins. -With at least a 3-game streak... If I see that kind of value, I might just pack up and sell my home in McCarron.... FYI, I also have a small condo in Nathanville. It's not officially on the Market yet, but I'll consider any reasonable offers. :P.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ball control. Safe with simple reads. Rely on the run game. Expand over time. 

Basically what the Steelers did with Big Ben

I'd like to see TD and INT about equal at first.  It's inevitable rookies will make mistakes and be exploited by the other team's D, just keep it down to a dull roar

• Like (+1) 2

I think it is all going to depend on how Allen is used especially if its first year.

If they put it on his shoulders to win.....I expect great plays and big mistakes

If they treat it like Big Ben's first year?  Allen could actually be ok in his rookie season......the steelers played great defense, ran the ball A LOT, and had Ben make easy throws.

(edit....Virgil beat me to it by 60 seconds)

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 1

What does a conservatively realistic 2018 season look like for Josh Allen?

Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen entered the first phase of the team’s OTAs as the third quarterback on the depth chart. In due time, the highest drafted quarterback in Buffalo history will take the reins of the offense. For now, Allen will work to earn the right to move up the Bills’ quarterback pecking order.

Buffalo will remain patient in developing its franchise quarterback. The team is still in the midst of transitioning the roster to completely fit what coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane wish to build. It would be to the detriment of Allen and the team to place the rookie in a sub-optimal situation.

Allen has his flaws, but the Bills’ coaching staff believes that they can help the 6-foot-5, 237-pound strong-armed quarterback fix issues with his throwing mechanics, footwork, and decision-making. After drafting Allen, Beane shared that he has “no doubt” these errors will be corrected.

The Wyoming product is competing against free agent signee A.J. McCarron and sophomore Nathan Peterman for the starting role. Thus, there are options to guide the offense as Allen becomes accustomed to the pro game.

So what could Allen’s 2018 season resemble for the Bills?
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing that gives me confidence about the surrounding cast is that Juan Castillo and Terry Robiskie know what NFL talent looks like at their positions.  The next three weeks of OTAs and Mini-camp will be telling.  If Castillo and/or Robiskie are in McDermott/Beane/Daboll's ear about needing an extra veteran body or two at their positions, it will get done.  Its a buyers market right now with more cuts to come. 

So if Allen starts I think Virgil nailed it.  He will be on the Big Ben plan.  The difference will be that Daboll will have an RPO section of the playbook that Ben didn't have and Allen is smart enough to digest RPOs and the controlled passing game.  The RPOs will have similar throws as the controlled passing game but more deception.  I think they will use the deep ball to scare the crap out of defenses early in games.  Streater (4.37), Reilly (4.42) or Proehl (4.4) will be running deep and they will throw a couple just to loosen things up.  It will be off RPO or play action to slow the rush. 

Allen's deep ball is like Nuke Lasloosh in Bull Durham -  the scene where Crash Davis tells Laloosh to hit the mascot on purpose and then says to the batter- "I don't know where it's going."   The offensive line will be telling the defense -- "we don't know how far he can throw it-- there are only about 150 yards of room or so inside the bowl or the practice field"

Despite all this, my expectations are very measured if Allen starts by week 5 or so.  The Bills will lose two or three games because we are easy to defend and/or QB errors...I am thinking out of the playoff race by week 15 or so but we will all be feeling good about the year at the end and looking forward to adding talent in the draft and FA.  We will see enough to think that Allen is not JP or EJ..but we won't be able to sign on to the notion of the second coming of Jimbo just yet.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd expect the Bills to win the games they should win.  Anything other than that would be icing on the cake since Allen will make mistakes and experience growing pains.  So if Allen starts, at this early juncture, a 6-10 or 7-9 record would be fine.  A record of .500 or better would be an outperformance.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

So if Allen starts I think Virgil nailed it.  He will be on the Big Ben plan.  The difference will be that Daboll will have an RPO section of the playbook that Ben didn't have and Allen is smart enough to digest RPOs and the controlled passing game.  The RPOs will have similar throws as the controlled passing game but more deception.  I think they will use the deep ball to scare the crap out of defenses early in games.  Streater (4.37), Reilly (4.42) or Proehl (4.4) will be running deep and they will throw a couple just to loosen things up.  It will be off RPO or play action to slow the rush. 

That's the best plan I've heard all season. -It'd be nice if we had an actual "deep threat WR"... -I'm not sure any of those you mentioned really qualify.

Might be better to exploit the mismatch game with Benjamin.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

That's the best plan I've heard all season. -It'd be nice if we had an actual "deep threat WR"... -I'm not sure any of those you mentioned really qualify.

Might be better to exploit the mismatch game with Benjamin.

This might be where Robiskie says -- go get me someone....like Maclin at a reasonable prove it deal with a Bills option year....

45 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Ball control. Safe with simple reads. Rely on the run game. Expand over time. 

Basically what the Steelers did with Big Ben

This plus him making some crucial plays on third down and executing a few game wining drives. 

Just now, JoeF said:

This might be where Robiskie says -- go get me someone....like Maclin at a reasonable prove it deal with a Bills option year....

Why not something more reliable? An experienced, reliable TE is something a rookie QB could use... I'd give Barnidge a look if the money's right.

3 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Maclin is done especially after blowing us off all year.

i still don’t know why they didn’t take a chance with ESB from Notre Dame.  A receiver with huge physical talent upside to grow with their new qb with huge physical talent.   

Just now, #34fan said:

Why not something more reliable? An experienced, reliable TE is something a rookie QB could use... I'd give Barnidge a look if the money's right.

Barnidge retired himself last year by thinking he was more than he was. His career is over.

• Thank you (+1) 1