Does your dislike of the Patriots go into Boston's other teams?

10 hours ago, stevewin said:

Ouch!  Booo!

Was going through 4 pages of this thread and thinking "Where are the old Braves fans to bring up insane Braves-bred hatred of the Celtics" - then I see the first sentence and think "finally", then in some kind of horror movie Shamalayan-esque twist the whole post goes very wrong (perhaps some Alien snatched your body?).

To Braves fans the Celtics and their arrogant stupid fans and organization were the Patriots of that day.  Oh how we loved to hate that smug organization with their "swagger" and stupid iconic history dripping off them like old sweaty seat socks. 

Cemented in every Braves fan memory should be Game 6 of the 1974 Braves-Celtics playoff match.  It was the Buffalo NBA version of the "Just Give It To Them" game (but worse).  The Braves were down by 4 with 30 seconds left, but after a miraculous sequence of two steals and two McAdoo baskets (Two Two for McAdoooo!) the Braves had tied it with seven seconds left.  What transpired next will (should) live forever in Buffalo sports infamy (Never Forget!).

On the ensuing Celtics possession, McAdoo blocked the initial shot, and Jo Jo White grabbed the ball and launched a wild shot that missed.  Euphoria!, but wait...  Unbelievably the refs called a foul on McAdoo as White fell to the floor during his desperate heave at the basket 'with no time left' (more on this later).  A foul that is NEVER called in that situation (sound familiar?)  

Then the real fun began.  The refs sent White to the line by himself to shoot the free throws to end the game since there was 'no time left' when he was fouled.  But wait - if there was no time left, there is no foul?  If there is a foul, there has to be time left and the Braves get the ball back (at midcourt) for one last play?  No - in their wisdom the refs ruled that a call that occurred after time expired counted - just give it to them.  The underdog Braves were not supposed to win that series over the 'storied' Celtics - and the refs made sure of it (sound familiar).

The next morning the following iconic picture appeared in the Buffalo paper clearly showing a second left after the phantom foul - it is forever seared in my brain.  It cemented my hatred even more for all things Celtic - evermore (amazingly I couldn't find it online and had to scan it from my copy of "Buffalo  Home of the Braves")

image.png.0b05ac0ce794ba04a92095733267c75b.png

Not to further shock you, but I was at that game!

18 hours ago, The Red King said:

...which only more justifies my loss of respect for him following his little tantrum.  That Super Bowl was poetic justice.

That Superbowl end my hatred for the Giants.  Which ironicly was created because BB shut down our offense as the Giants D coordinator.

50 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Not to further shock you, but I was at that game!

I may have been there too. I just remember leaving dejected after facing the Celtics in the playoffs each year. I hate to be “that guy”, but the ball is in the air with .01 left. I’m pretty sure time ran out. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

I'm a little surprised there isn't more Bruins hate. After all, I assume most here are also Sabres fans. There's definitely history between the Sabres and Bruins...

I really hate the Bruins. They are the NHL equivalent of the Miami Dolphins, as they relate to the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm fine with the Celtics, mostly neutral about the Bruins.

Absolutely despise the Red Sox but I am a massive Yankee fan.  I missed Aaron Boone's game 7 home run because I had...um...consumed a bit too much booze to cope with what I thought was going to be a loss.

Also agree with what someone else said earlier.  Despite the Pats and the Sox, I really love the city of Boston and New England as a whole.  As long as I can keep sports out of the conversation, I've always found Bostonians to be pretty cool and definitely can have a good time.

1 hour ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

why?  all they do is win.  tremendous , winning sports traditions.  I really couldn't care less, but wow, envy turning into hate can't be a good thing

Hating somebody or something isn’t exactly new. Hitler didn’t really care for the Jews, or so I’ve read...

On 5/26/2018 at 1:47 PM, BillsRdue said:

I haven't particularly liked the Celtics but I'm tired of the Cavs and LeBron in the finals, so I'm actually rooting for the Celts, then GS to finish them off. If Houston does it, I'm fine with that too.

That makes ZERO SENSE, considering Golden State has been in the same number of Finals games as the Cavs have!!! Nobody wants the whiny Warriors to win...

I grew up in Maine and have always hated Boston/New England sports teams.  My father is from Rochester and my mother is from Maine so I grew up with the Bills but was surrounded by Boston fans.  I haven't lived in New England since 1999 so some of my non-Patriots Boston sports hatred has calmed but I still have a hard time rooting for any non-Patriots Boston teams.

I don't pay attention to basketball but I was at a party earlier today and threw $20 into a small-stakes hoops pool. Had to leave the party early and turned on the game when I got home since there was money to be won.

Watched the game for a few minutes and quickly realized that I hope those Brady-worshipping, chowda-lovers watch their team collapse tonight. 

It’s an awesome ugly game. Only awesome because my team is somehow  in game 7 of the conf finals, and I didn’t even think they would make it out of rd 1 past Milwaukee with this cast of youngins. 

Edited by YoloinOhio