Does your dislike of the Patriots go into Boston's other teams?

I detest the patriots

As a Blue Jays fan I'm not big on the Red Sox but I do root for them when they play the Yankees

Sabres fan so not a fan of the Bruins

I don't watch the NBA so have no opinion of the Celtics ... If I cared about the playoffs, I'd always root for a Cleveland team over a Boston team.

No, I just hate the Pats. I am actually pulling for Boston against Cleveland because I'm tired of ESPN constantly slobbing LeBron and all of the media's asinine comparisons to MJ. Hockey I don't really follow too much, though I do love watching some playoff hockey every year. Now the Red Sox? I absolutely hate the Red Sox, but that is because I am a Yankees fan. I actually think I may hate the Red Sox even a little more than the Patriots. 

BoSox- despise 

Bruins- despise

Pats- despise

Celtics- indifferent 

Basketball has been the sport I have hung onto playing into my forties, leaving most others behind. I can always appreciate good ball and the Celts are really executing well in these playoffs. That being said, Lebron is playing the absolute best basketball we have witnessed in the playoffs in 25 years. He deserves to be in the finals and I hope he beats the Celtics so that we don't add even more swelling to every Boston sports fans head. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have spent the last three years going to school in Massachusetts. I have always hated the Patriots, but never really felt the need to root against the other Boston sports teams. 

I can can safely say after my time in Massachusetts, I despise all four teams. It has nothing to do with the players (this includes why I hate the Patriots), it’s just their fans. I have never met a less knowledgeable, more brash and fair weather fan base in my life. They only root come playoff time, stomp and whine when they don’t get their way, talk trash about your teams, and can’t handle when you say something about their team, and don’t get me started about how they handle losing. 

The Gronk incident was horrible trying to deal with, I had people trying to tell me it was an accident, that it was funny, etc. Then I’m watching the Celtics/Cavs game the other day when Horford gets shoved from behind and they’re acting like JR Smith committed murder. I tried to compare it to the Gronk incident, and I’m told that what’s Gronk did wasn’t as bad.

The fans ruin it for me, ultimately I think Boston sports teams have the same grit that we tend to love come from the Bills and Sabres, but the fans in my generation are so privileged that they’re blind to everything else going on. 

Going through all the hardships we’ve been through as Buffalo sports fans, I think we have a different appreciation for sports. I just hope that when we get to the top, we don’t act like the Boston fan base, I know I’d be sick if that was the case.

• Like (+1) 4

I hate the Bruins more than any hockey team and hate several individuals from over the years.

I don't really care about the Celtics either way and am also indifferent to the Sox.  I do hate the constant Yankee/Red Sox press in a sport that has had so many ignored intriguing teams in the last 15 years, but I blame the press, not the Sox or Yanks.

38 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I have spent the last three years going to school in Massachusetts. I have always hated the Patriots, but never really felt the need to root against the other Boston sports teams. 

I can can safely say after my time in Massachusetts, I despise all four teams. It has nothing to do with the players (this includes why I hate the Patriots), it’s just their fans. I have never met a less knowledgeable, more brash and fair weather fan base in my life. They only root come playoff time, stomp and whine when they don’t get their way, talk trash about your teams, and can’t handle when you say something about their team, and don’t get me started about how they handle losing. 

The Gronk incident was horrible trying to deal with, I had people trying to tell me it was an accident, that it was funny, etc. Then I’m watching the Celtics/Cavs game the other day when Horford gets shoved from behind and they’re acting like JR Smith committed murder. I tried to compare it to the Gronk incident, and I’m told that what’s Gronk did wasn’t as bad.

The fans ruin it for me, ultimately I think Boston sports teams have the same grit that we tend to love come from the Bills and Sabres, but the fans in my generation are so privileged that they’re blind to everything else going on. 

Going through all the hardships we’ve been through as Buffalo sports fans, I think we have a different appreciation for sports. I just hope that when we get to the top, we don’t act like the Boston fan base, I know I’d be sick if that was the case.

Theyre called mass holes for a reason.

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Celtics are playing Game 7 against the Cavs tomorrow night.  I'm partial to the Cavs but I can't really imagine rooting for the Celtics under any circumstance.

I wasn't always like that as I think I even had a Celtics shirt as a kid because I was partial to Larry.  The Patriots this century kinda made me lump all Boston's teams together.  You know most likely Patriots fans root for the Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins as well

No. My hatred of the Patriots does not affect my feelings about other Boston teams at all.   In fact, the only two teams I really care about  are my beloved Bills and Celtics.  Then again I am originally from upstate New York but not Buffalo so team loyalties were widely split between New York Teams, Boston Teams and even a mix of Pittsburgh and Canadian teams.   To be honest I respected the Patriots in the days of Steve Grogan and Russ Francis. I only really started to hate the Patriots when the Bill Belicheat -Shady Brady Era started.  Back in the day I hated the Jets more along with my lifetime hatred of the Dallas Cowboys.

Go Celtics in game 7.

Edited by CamboBill

22 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Normally my disdain for all things Boston sports carries over to the Bruins and Red Sox. I haven't particularly liked the Celtics but I'm tired of the Cavs and LeBron in the finals, so I'm actually rooting for the Celts, then GS to finish them off. If Houston does it, I'm fine with that too.

EXACTLY where I'm at....

• Like (+1) 1

My dislike of Boston teams started with the Celtics, when they were just a bit better than the Braves and would beat them in the playoffs. Then the Bruins joined in. I used to like the Red Sox of Carl Yastrzemski. And I didn’t mind the Patriots until the Belichek Brady era. So now I dislike them all, though I’d root for the Red Sox over the Yankees, but most others over both.

From someone who came of sports fan age in the 1970s ...

1970s: Pats irrelevant. Loved the Red Sox, partly because I hated the Yankees, but also because, well, Luis Tiant and Bill Lee and Carl Y and Fisk. Those were teams with character(s). Loved the Celtics and Bruins for the same reason.

1980s: Pats (largely) irrelevant. Loved the Red Sox, now mostly because I hated the Yankees. Bruins: didn't think a whole lot about them. Celtics: I definitely sided with them in the Lakers-Celtics wars.

1990s: Pats (largely) irrelevant because the Bills were so superior. I imagine Pats fans over the last 15 years feel the same about the Bills now. Red Sox: not so interesting anymore because the Yankees were too good. Celtics: ditto, because the Bulls, and even the Knicks. Bruins: meh.

2000-current: Didn't actually hate the Pats with Bledsoe at the start. Actually thought the first SB was kind of a fun team. Didn't become despicable until Brady and Belichick got super cocky and cheat happy about, well, a year or two later. Quickly supplanted the Cowboys as my most hated team. Red Sox: loved, loved, loved them when they blew it with the Yanks the first time, then even more when they finally took out the Yanks. Then they gradually became the Yankees. Morphed into generally negative feelings about them until today I actually find the Yankees (who I must still hate for historical reasons) more likable.  Celtics: looked good, looked not so good, never really captured my imagination. Bruins: trending toward hate-able throughout this time; may have more to do with ineptitude of the local team than something specific to the Bruins.

My hatred of Boston teams varies, in both magnitude and origins. I lived in Boston for three years, so I have a pretty good feel for all the teams. 

The Patriots are cheaters and their fans are bandwagon hoppers. They have no appreciation for the history of the NFL, and most can’t name a single Pats player prior to 2000 not named Bledsoe. 

Boston is a baseball town and I was happy for them to snap their 86 year drought, despite being a Jays fan. 

I have kind of a muted disdain for the Bruins, but Boston is also a pretty good hockey town, so like with the Sox, the fans aren’t nearly as annoying as Pats fans. 

Celtics I have no real problem with, but basketball is also my least favorite of the big four leagues. 

I can only speak from personal experience but, yup. absolutely. as a whole I dislike the city, its people, and its teams.

Edited by 87168

4 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

My dislike of Boston teams started with the Celtics, when they were just a bit better than the Braves and would beat them in the playoffs. Then the Bruins joined in. I used to like the Red Sox of Carl Yastrzemski. And I didn’t mind the Patriots until the Belichek Brady era. So now I dislike them all, though I’d root for the Red Sox over the Yankees, but most others over both.

I don't really follow the NBA so I am generally indifferent to the Celtics, although I have always disliked them for the reason you stated. I was a diehard Bufflao Braves fan and the Celtics were their biggest division rival.

FYI, the Bills were 39-42-1 all-time against New England prior to Brady's first start against them in 2001. Since that time, the Bills' all-time record against them has plummeted to 43-72-1. Their dismal 4-30 mark in that stretch includes a 16-0 win in which Jacoby Brissett played in place of Brady and a 17-9 win in which Brady was pulled at halftime in a meaningless game for NE*. Beyond pathetic. ?

I actually didn't mind the Patriots*** in the years when Steve Grogan was the quarterback.  I never liked the Bruins (they always seemed to beat the Sabres back in the late 70's and early/mid 80's) or Celtics (always beat the Braves when they existed) or Red Sox (Yankees fan).