Through Committee work, Kim Pegula earns respect of fellow NFL Owners

Logic

13 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Again, find owners saying negative things about other owners and I’ll be impressed. I didn’t say anything negative about her. In fact, I said the fact that she’s a “real person” is a blessing in that room. She can provide a perspective that Bob McNair can’t. The point was that it means absolutely nothing that, when asked on the record, her business partners said positive things about her. It would have been a story if they didn’t. Every single time owners are asked about other owners on the record they give the same lip service. It’s not just her, the same things are being said now about Gayle Benson and the new guy in Carolina. 

I apologize for calling you cynical. It was the beer talking..

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Perhaps, perhaps not.  It has that feel to me.  I'm trying to figure out why fans of the team would dismiss an article that is complementary if the owner.  That's what struck me.

Because I don’t rate credibility based on if I agree with the statement or if it makes me feel good?

again, she could be doing GREAT, but when you ask someone that’s going to say she’s doing great no matter what’s happening then the article isn’t impactful 

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Because I don’t rate credibility based on if I agree with the statement or if it makes me feel good?

again, she could be doing GREAT, but when you ask someone that’s going to say she’s doing great no matter what’s happening then the article isn’t impactful 

If the article were negative would you feel the same?  I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If the article were negative would you feel the same?  I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

I would feel totally differently because it would be WAY out of character for an owner to bad mouth another owner. That would be all over NFL Network and ESPN. It would be a story. Owners saying nice things about one another isn’t a story. 

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I would feel that’s significant. Because it cuts totally across the norms and goes against what they are incentived to say.

this is akin to the wife asking “does this make me look fat?”

if you answer of “course not, you look great” that could be totally true, or avoiding drama. If you say “yea that looks terrible” it probably means she looks bad. Unless you are know to like to sleep on the couch.

its not that hard a conversation to follow. We aren’t knocking her or trying to discredit her, we are just saying it doesn’t say much. Do you really never weigh the persons motivations/incentives/consequences at all in evaluating whether what they say is meaningful? 

Edited by NoSaint

49 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I would feel that’s significant. Because it cuts totally across the norms and goes against what they are incentived to say.

this is akin to the wife asking “does this make me look fat?”

if you answer of “course not, you look great” that could be totally true, or avoiding drama. If you say “yea that looks terrible” it probably means she looks bad. Unless you are know to like to sleep on the couch.

its not that hard a conversation to follow. We aren’t knocking her or trying to discredit her, we are just saying it doesn’t say much. Do you really never weigh the persons motivations/incentives/consequences at all in evaluating whether what they say is meaningful? 

Not at all.  Can you explain why so many here feel a need to negate a nice story about the owner?  

On 5/26/2018 at 12:03 PM, matter2003 said:

I mean c'mon. Whhat do the other owners know?? I mean they are clueless...just listen to what all these posters here have to say about her...she is a completely unqualified waitress. ??

Id give her a "tip"...if you know what I mean!  

Oh oh, somewhere 50 years down the road someone on here might pull a " Morgan Freeman " on me!

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not at all.  Can you explain why so many here feel a need to negate a nice story about the owner?  

It's because they miss Russ Brandon and the losing culture of the past. Don't worry about the few hold outs, most of us have moved on and embraced the future. 

They don't think a woman can be President and anything positive about Kim is a threat to thier little manhood's. I won't debate with them because they only wish to negate the good instead of offer proof of the bad. That's why i don't waste my time. They don't know Kim and they don't offer enough specifics about what is going on behind the scenes for me to even take seriously.

If they think Kim isn't good enough it's on them to provide the proof. If the best they can do is poo poo on the positive stuff then why engage. Until they can offer the specifics of day to day operation and exactly how Kim and Terry are not performing those duty's then they provided nothing but resistance to the new era and the winning culture that has risen from the ashes of a dought riddled team. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Lfod said:

It's because they miss Russ Brandon and the losing culture of the past. Don't worry about the few hold outs, most of us have moved on and embraced the future. 

They don't think a woman can be President and anything positive about Kim is a threat to thier little manhood's. I won't debate with them because they only wish to negate the good instead of offer proof of the bad. That's why i don't waste my time. They don't know Kim and they don't offer enough specifics about what is going on behind the scenes for me to even take seriously.

If they think Kim isn't good enough it's on them to provide the proof. If the best they can do is poo poo on the positive stuff then why engage. Until they can offer the specifics of day to day operation and exactly how Kim and Terry are not performing those duty's then they provided nothing but resistance to the new era and the winning culture that has risen from the ashes of a dought riddled team. 

Good points

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not negating anything just trying to be intelligent enough to know that’s it’s a puff piece. Bills fans are so desperate to be “good enough” that they seek anything positive as a sign of validation. This story doesn’t tell us anything. That’s not be negative; it’s being honest. 

As I've said about 30 times on here Kim has a vital role moving forward. Her unique perspective is important to the NFL. I’m still waiting for someone to provide quotes of owners talking negative about other owners on the record? If you want to start posting them I’ll be impressed that they said nice things. If not, this is just the same thing that owners always say about each other.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not negating anything just trying to be intelligent enough to know that’s it’s a puff piece. Bills fans are so desperate to be “good enough” that they seek anything positive as a sign of validation. This story doesn’t tell us anything. That’s not be negative; it’s being honest. 

As I've said about 30 times on here Kim has a vital role moving forward. Her unique perspective is important to the NFL. I’m still waiting for someone to provide quotes of owners talking negative about other owners on the record? If you want to start posting them I’ll be impressed that they said nice things. If not, this is just the same thing that owners always say about each other.

We shouldn't as Bills fans embrace the positive media? I'm having trouble seeing your goal in this. So people are obligated to say nice things so it automatically means they couldn't possibly mean it? 

I really understand your point but it doesn't exactly mean it's concrete that what they said wasn't genuine and real. Smashing a 17 year drought means nothing and it's what have you done for me lately when a single game hasn't been played since the last Playoff game. 

We really seeking to debate weather the statements are genuine or obligated responses and that's fine I guess. If we agree it's just a fluff piece then we should all agree to ignore any good media because the evil news is trying to trick us into believing in our team so we can have our hearts shanked when our team sucks. Welcome to fandom. 

Edited by Lfod

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

We shouldn't as Bills fans embrace the positive media? I'm having trouble seeing your point. So people are obligated to say nice things so it automatically means they couldn't possibly mean it? 

Again, they could be 110% truthful. 

Neither of us has said they are lying. Simply that they were tossed a softball question and you’d get damn near the same answer if you subbed in any of the other 31 owners names (or terry’s). If she starts to grow into leadership roles, or they start to go out of their way to reference specific accomplishments it’ll carry a bunch of weight.

But essentially “what do you think of the new business partner” “oh she’s great, brings energy and a fresh perspective” is a bit of a throwaway exchange. 

Your best friend asking you what you think of his new girlfriend in front of her is about on par. Everyone stays positive, so a vague and assuring “she’s great, it’s been a fun night” doesn’t really have any noteworthy meaning. But if you go way off script and say “oh she seems awful... stupid, and ugly... and I’m pretty sure she slipped her number to the bartender” well, that’s something to dig down on.

• Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I'm not denying people say nice things about peers.  But you cannot or will not explain why you feel the need to point it out in an effort to decrease the impact.  Why do you feel the need to take a positive article about the owner and pooh pooh it, instead of ignoring it?  Why is it so important for you to go on and on about how it means nothing?  

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm not denying people say nice things about peers.  But you cannot or will not explain why you feel the need to point it out in an effort to decrease the impact.  Why do you feel the need to take a positive article about the owner and pooh pooh it, instead of ignoring it?  Why is it so important for you to go on and on about how it means nothing?  

Not trying to decrease the impact!! The point is it isn’t impactful. You could plug any other owner’s name in and get the same comments to NoSaint’s point. The initial premise of the thread (which is still lost on you) was that these comments mean something. They don’t. Go back and read the initial post. I responded to the topic. I don’t care at all if they say positive things on the record. I’m actually surprised that some people are naive enough to see this as anything more than general lip service. 

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think everyone would’ve moved on if you weren’t insistent on continually and directly calling out what is a perfectly reasonable stance. 

If you want to crack crack open a beer to celebrate the article, you do you. 

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

I think everyone would’ve moved on if you weren’t insistent on continually and directly calling out what is a perfectly reasonable stance. 

If you want to crack crack open a beer to celebrate the article, you do you. 

I'm not.  I have not referred to any specific person here.  If I have it was inadvertent.

Why can no one answer a simple question:  why pooh pooh a nice article about the owner?  I get your thought that owners say nice things about owners.  But why go on and on about why it means nothing?  Why not just accept it as a nice article?

And as I asked earlier, why are there constantly negative posts when they are supposed to be fans?  Still no answers on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Lfod said:

We shouldn't as Bills fans embrace the positive media? I'm having trouble seeing your goal in this. So people are obligated to say nice things so it automatically means they couldn't possibly mean it? 

I really understand your point but it doesn't exactly mean it's concrete that what they said wasn't genuine and real. Smashing a 17 year drought means nothing and it's what have you done for me lately when a single game hasn't been played since the last Playoff game. 

We really seeking to debate weather the statements are genuine or obligated responses and that's fine I guess. If we agree it's just a fluff piece then we should all agree to ignore any good media because the evil news is trying to trick us into believing in our team so we can have our hearts shanked when our team sucks. Welcome to fandom. 

I don’t have a goal. It may be completely genuine (and I hope that it is). The Bills seem to be heading in a great direction. If Allen can play we may be talking about a contender at this time next year. It’s exciting.

The only point that I made in this thread was “don’t read too much into those comments because it’s the same thing owners always say about one another.” That’s the only point and for some reason that’s not acceptable for some. 

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm not.  I have not referred to any specific person here.  If I have it was inadvertent.

Why can no one answer a simple question:  why pooh pooh a nice article about the owner?  I get your thought that owners say nice things about owners.  But why go on and on about why it means nothing?  Why not just accept it as a nice article?

And as I asked earlier, why are there constantly negative posts when they are supposed to be fans?  Still no answers on that. 

I guess the disconnect is that we don’t view that stance as negative. We view it as common sense to not read into it. When the opposite is said we do the same thing. When Omar Kelly says “the Bills suck” we dismiss that too because it is coming from him. It’s the same message and he has an agenda. These owners are partners not competitors. It’s to all of their benefits to say positive things. Omar Kelly is looking to rile up Bills fans. It’s in his best interest to say negative things. I don’t put much weight into either scenario. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t have a goal. It may be completely genuine (and I hope that it is). The Bills seem to be heading in a great direction. If Allen can play we may be talking about a contender at this time next year. It’s exciting.

The only point that I made in this thread was “don’t read too much into those comments because it’s the same thing owners always say about one another.” That’s the only point and for some reason that’s not acceptable for some. 

I guess the disconnect is that we don’t view that stance as negative. We view it as common sense to not read into it. When the opposite is said we do the same thing. When Omar Kelly says “the Bills suck” we dismiss that too because it is coming from him. It’s the same message and he has an agenda. These owners are partners not competitors. It’s to all of their benefits to say positive things. Omar Kelly is looking to rile up Bills fans. It’s in his best interest to say negative things. I don’t put much weight into either scenario. 

This makes much more sense to me.  Thanks.

Didn't see it mentioned here in the responses, not to sound morbid, but there's a pretty good likelihood sometime down the road Kim will become the sole owner of the Bills and Sabres as she is almost 20 years younger than Terry.  So being involved with all these committees is good for her.  Even as soon as 10 to 15 years down the road, Terry may say I've had enough of all this I just want to relax and play golf or fish or something, Kim you run things from now on!  She certainly is a much better speaker than Terry is too.  Don't think he likes the PR part of his job very much.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch