Through Committee work, Kim Pegula earns respect of fellow NFL Owners

Logic

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

She’s definitely involved. As I said though, find me some quotes of owners talking bad about other owners. They ONLY say positives. They are business partners!! It’s really stretching it to think that this means ANYTHING.

The negative comments about her strike me as jealousy.

49 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

If they didn't respect her they could simply say nothing or "She's very nice" and leave it at that. The fact that they complimented her, and gave specifics, suggests that the praise is genuine.

There's a reason she's listed as the co-owner, not the "owner's wife." I think it's pretty clear that she's not just eye-candy.

There wasn’t much in the way of specifics. She could be great, or they could be playing nice. 

I dint think anyone here is saying she’s stupid and just eye candy, but we don’t know much about what she’s bringing to the room yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The negative comments about her strike me as jealousy.

Really? That’s what you are taking from this conversation? Are you impressed that her business partners said nice things about her? Don’t you think that’s expected? I keep asking people to find owners talking negative about other owners. I can find 20,000 quotes of them talking nice about each other but may not find one of them badmouthing each other. My whole point is that owners saying nice things means nothing because that’s all that they say about each other.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Really? That’s what you are taking from this conversation? Are you impressed that her business partners said nice things about her? Don’t you think that’s expected? I keep asking people to find owners talking negative about other owners. I can find 20,000 quotes of them talking nice about each other but may not find one of them badmouthing each other. My whole point is that owners saying nice things means nothing because that’s all that they say about each other.

Did it ever occur to you that when someone says something nice about Kim Pegs, they may actually mean it.

Is it hard going through life so cynical?

1 minute ago, boater said:

Did it ever occur to you that when someone says something nice about Kim Pegs, they may actually mean it.

Is it hard going through life so cynical?

Again, find owners saying negative things about other owners and I’ll be impressed. I didn’t say anything negative about her. In fact, I said the fact that she’s a “real person” is a blessing in that room. She can provide a perspective that Bob McNair can’t. The point was that it means absolutely nothing that, when asked on the record, her business partners said positive things about her. It would have been a story if they didn’t. Every single time owners are asked about other owners on the record they give the same lip service. It’s not just her, the same things are being said now about Gayle Benson and the new guy in Carolina. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Without being overly negative what would you expect these other owner’s to say? “We think that Kim is incompetent. She’s totally over her head and has been a disaster. No one listens to a word she says.”

Well, that kind of thing *was* said about Georgia Frontiere when she took over as owner of the Rams in 1979.  So perhaps attitudes have changed slightly after all.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Without being overly negative what would you expect these other owner’s to say? “We think that Kim is incompetent. She’s totally over her head and has been a disaster. No one listens to a word she says.” This is article does nothing to influence opinions on Kim’s qualifications.

With that being said there is an interesting perspective that she can provide. We always think of the voice that she can bring as a woman. That goes without saying. One thing that is overlooked is that the Pegula’s are regular people. They were once season ticket holders. They eat fast food. Their kids listen to hip-hop. I’m comfortable in saying that Kim Pegula is the most “regular” person in that room. Her perspective is way more modern and empathizes with the fans.

These committees are formed and try to do what they think is in the league’s best interest. The problem is that those guys are all old, out-of-touch, curmudgeons. When was the last time Bob McNair waited in line for a hot dog? Kim can relate to the consumers in a way that the rest of the NFL owners couldn’t dream of. 

You do contradict yourself a little in this response.

Maybe you could of started with the 3rd paragraph first.  LOL

Kim and Terry are already ranked high in many national reviews on both "likeability" and "business sense".

We Bill's fans we should be glad we have owners as respected as the Pegulas. 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You do contradict yourself a little in this response.

Maybe you could of started with the 3rd paragraph first.  LOL

Kim and Terry are already ranked high in many national reviews on both "likeability" and "business sense".

We Bill's fans we should be glad we have owners as respected as the Pegulas. 

2 separate points: 

1. The Pegula’s are likable and provide a more grounded perspective.

2. Owners are only going to say positive things about other owners in the media. I’m not taking their kind words as anything but lip service. They may believe; they may not. They were going to say positive things regardless. They do about all of the other owners. We are reading the praise of Gayle Benson here right now. It’s not different.

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

2 separate points: 

1. The Pegula’s are likable and provide a more grounded perspective.

2. Owners are only going to say positive things about other owners in the media. I’m not taking their kind words as anything but lip service. They may believe; they may not. They were going to say positive things regardless. They do about all of the other owners. We are reading the praise of Gayle Benson here right now. It’s not different.

I understand your meaning about a "fluff" piece and all.  I will venture to say that Kim Pegula over the next few years will become a

larger voice in all things NFL.  I can't prove that statement but for some reason I believe it to be true.

This was a part of the article I liked most. 

But it goes beyond Pegula simply making herself available to take a seat around a conference table several times per year or jump on one of the conference calls each committee has.

It's also about the genuine effort Pegula pours into each of her committees. That has gotten noticed, because it isn't the case with every participant.

"I think she puts the time in," one league owner, requesting anonymity, said. "There are other people who act like they do, but don't really put the time in or care to understand. She works it."

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I understand your meaning about a "fluff" piece and all.  I will venture to say that Kim Pegula over the next few years will become a

larger voice in all things NFL.  I can't prove that statement but for some reason I believe it to be true.

This was a part of the article I liked most. 

But it goes beyond Pegula simply making herself available to take a seat around a conference table several times per year or jump on one of the conference calls each committee has.

It's also about the genuine effort Pegula pours into each of her committees. That has gotten noticed, because it isn't the case with every participant.

"I think she puts the time in," one league owner, requesting anonymity, said. "There are other people who act like they do, but don't really put the time in or care to understand. She works it."

FWIW, I think that she is a very, very important presence in that room. She is young, a minority and a woman. Kim looks a lot different than the rest of that room. She can a totally different perspective from the McNair’s and Kroenke’s of the world.

The NFL has been getting killed recently because they don’t know their consumers. They are horrendous on social issues and every decision that is made is reactionary. Kim can be a “voice of the people” in a way. She is so much more tuned in to the real world. If she can gain experience and continue learning the business Kim could be an important asset for the league. She can be the checks and balances. When a bunch of old, rich, white guys think something is a good idea she can raise her hand and object. She, unlike the others, knows her consumers.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well yes that's what I'm taking away because that's what I wrote.   You have a couple that have been very successful in business, and Kim is lending her work ethic and expertise into the business of the league.  Her peers recognize it and are complementary.  Yet you and other want to be negative or poor-poor that.  Why?  Well, one thing could be envy.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Well yes that's what I'm taking away because that's what I wrote.   You have a couple that have been very successful in business, and Kim is lending her work ethic and expertise into the business of the league.  Her peers recognize it and are complementary.  Yet you and other want to be negative or poor-poor that.  Why?  Well, one thing could be envy.

200w.gif

That is one of the oddest takes I’ve seen here. I’m actually befuddled that people can read this as anything but lip service. It doesn’t  take much intelligence to realize that this is a total puff piece (which is the point that I continue to make). My takeaway from this isn’t anything other than “of course they will say nice things. They all say nice things about each other.” The original premise of the thread was that this piece was supposed to validate her in some way. It doesn’t. It is a bunch of business partners saying nice things about each other. Also, the sun is hot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I think that she is a very, very important presence in that room. She is young, a minority and a woman. Kim looks a lot different than the rest of that room. She can a totally different perspective from the McNair’s and Kroenke’s of the world.

The NFL has been getting killed recently because they don’t know their consumers. They are horrendous on social issues and every decision that is made is reactionary. Kim can be a “voice of the people” in a way. She is so much more tuned in to the real world. If she can gain experience and continue learning the business Kim could be an important asset for the league. She can be the checks and balances. When a bunch of old, rich, white guys think something is a good idea she can raise her hand and object. She, unlike the others, knows her consumers.

I think it's worth a lot.  You mentioned all the things I was thinking.  I (we) can't prove it but I think those "old men" will soon start to say, "if Kim thinks

it's a good idea, so do I."  That is as long as she can be sure they all are making money!  LOL

If that starts to happen, don't be surprised to see the Bill's football team "get some breaks" along the way too.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

200w.gif

That is one of the oddest takes I’ve seen here. I’m actually befuddled that people can read this as anything but lip service. It doesn’t  take much intelligence to realize that this is a total puff piece (which is the point that I continue to make). My takeaway from this isn’t anything other than “of course they will say nice things. They all say nice things about each other.” The original premise of the thread was that this piece was supposed to validate her in some way. It doesn’t. It is a bunch of business partners saying nice things about each other. Also, the sun is hot. 

Make your point all you want.  I'll continue to make mine, which is going out of your way to diminish positive comments from her peers suggests you are envious of her talent for some reason.

Shall we continue to go back and forth?

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Make your point all you want.  I'll continue to make mine, which is going out of your way to diminish positive comments from her peers suggests you are envious of her talent for some reason.

Shall we continue to go back and forth?

Yeah, because you aren’t comprehending that they aren’t being diminished. They are the same comments that you will find about every other owner. They all sing the praises of one another!! This piece doesn’t validate anything. It is “water is wet.” It’s like a GM talking about his draft picks. I’m waiting for the day a GM drafts a guy and says “we don’t think that he will be a good player.” It’s the same thing. If the GM says “we like the guys that we drafted” does that surprise you? It’s the exact same thing.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, because you aren’t comprehending that they aren’t being diminished. They are the same comments that you will find about every other owner. They all sing the praises of one another!! This piece doesn’t validate anything. It is “water is wet.” It’s like a GM talking about his draft picks. I’m waiting for the day a GM drafts a guy and says “we don’t think that he will be a good player.” It’s the same thing. If the GM says “we like the guys that we drafted” does that surprise you? It’s the exact same thing.

You are diminishing their comments, saying they either aren't sincere or mean nothing.  Quit pretending you aren't.  Only thing worse than comments like that are a refusal to stand by them.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You are diminishing their comments, saying they either aren't sincere or mean nothing.  Quit pretending you aren't.  Only thing worse than comments like that are a refusal to stand by them.

I’m saying that they mean nothing just like when a GM says “we like our draft class” it means nothing. That’s what they are supposed to say!! They may mean it (they may not). They aren’t going to say anything but positive things though. Go find me some quotes of NFL owners talking bad about other NFL owners. Find me something in the last 5 - 10 years where they criticize the capabilities of another owner. I feel like a broken record but I guess you just aren’t understanding.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m saying that they mean nothing just like when a GM says “we like our draft class” it means nothing. That’s what they are supposed to say!! They may mean it (they may not). They aren’t going to say anything but positive things though. Go find me some quotes of NFL owners talking bad about other NFL owners. Find me something in the last 5 - 10 years where they criticize the capabilities of another owner. I feel like a broken record but I guess you just aren’t understanding.

I understand perfectly.  I understand you have a sensitive spot about this, and that I called you on it.  And that you don't like it.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I understand perfectly.  I understand you have a sensitive spot about this, and that I called you on it.  And that you don't like it.

Not sensitive at all, just banging my head against the wall that you don’t get it. Owners saying nice things about other owners isn’t teaching us anything. When you go to dinner at your in-laws and they ask you how everything is the answer is “it’s great.” It doesn’t mean that it is good or bad. It is just what you have to say. That’s been my entire point. It has nothing to do with Kim being good or bad.