I need a vacation

Anyone else ever feel like this? I haven't been out of state since March of 2017. Anyone else ever get super sick of the same town, People and work especially. I'm going on a baseball trip in July but a month from now feels like forever to wait. I'm more than ready.  It is totaly unusual for me to be super irritated all the time with everyone and just certain things. I don't want to sound like a debbie downer either for everyone. I hope I'm not the only one that feels like this.

Edited by Ice bowl 67
  • Like (+1) 1

Of course!  Everyone feels like that at some point.

Where you going for your baseball trip?  

You're not THAT far away from Wrigley Field.  Was there last year and I think it has to be the best stadium atmosphere in the country, including Fenway.  And I'm a Red Sox fan!

Perhaps you've already been there a bunch?

16 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Of course!  Everyone feels like that at some point.

Where you going for your baseball trip?  

You're not THAT far away from Wrigley Field.  Was there last year and I think it has to be the best stadium atmosphere in the country, including Fenway.  And I'm a Red Sox fan!

Perhaps you've already been there a bunch?

Going to Kansas City and Minneapolis. Very much looking forward to it. I would leave tonight if I could.

3 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

Going to Kansas City and Minneapolis. Very much looking forward to it. I would leave tonight if I could.

Well have fun when you go!  And try to enjoy the holiday weekend!

I never take vacations...but I took a sabbatical last year - February through June.  Best thing I've done - it made me realize how thoroughly burned out I was after ten years without a meaningful vacation (i.e. more than a long weekend,) and how stupid it is to not take a break every once in a while.

(And that five months' telling people "I'm not starting any job until June" made it easier to be choosy about my next job, so I'm working on a project I enjoy with people I generally don't hate. Even my wife has said this is the first job I've had since we met that I don't come home calling the people I work with "idiots.") 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I never take vacations...but I took a sabbatical last year - February through June.  Best thing I've done - it made me realize how thoroughly burned out I was after ten years without a meaningful vacation (i.e. more than a long weekend,) and how stupid it is to not take a break every once in a while.

(And that five months' telling people "I'm not starting any job until June" made it easier to be choosy about my next job, so I'm working on a project I enjoy with people I generally don't hate. Even my wife has said this is the first job I've had since we met that I don't come home calling the people I work with "idiots.") 

Never taking vacations tells a lot.  You're an idiot!

I retired 2 years ago, and can't believe how much LESS I drink now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

U havent been out of state since since March of 17? I haven't been out of state since November of 2015 and that was for my honeymoon. The last real vacation I had prior to that was a cruise in 2006. I've been to the thousand islands and other adorondack trips, but I don't know if that counts as a legit vacation. 

Everyone gets burned out at one time or another from doing the same thing and seeing the same people day after day for extended periods.  Vacations and time away from work are good, and sabbaticals are even better if you can swing it.

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Never taking vacations tells a lot.  You're an idiot!

I retired 2 years ago, and can't believe how much LESS I drink now.

I work for a company that's been going through lay-offs, down-sizing, right-sizing, re-orgs for way too long (dying industry). I can't tell you how many times the "unfortunates" who were let go show up 6 months later looking physically better with a positive mental attitude...and some that I knew well said they drank a lot less.

I've been one of the "fortunates". Been with the company a long time and I'm in a good place wrt vacation/sick/personal time. Started taking longer vacations a number of years ago and I strongly advocate it. Getting out of the office for a week is nice, adding a few days or another week makes a big difference. Do it if you can...and if you think you can't, question whether that's true.

Edited by SinceThe70s

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

U havent been out of state since since March of 17? I haven't been out of state since November of 2015 and that was for my honeymoon. The last real vacation I had prior to that was a cruise in 2006. I've been to the thousand islands and other adorondack trips, but I don't know if that counts as a legit vacation. 

My Last 'Vacation' was my honeymoon in 2012

Before that was maybe 2006 when I went for a few days to Chicago with some friends (What was Matt Leinarts rookie season? He started a PS game at Soldier field when I was there). Before that was second grade which would have been early 90's maybe when my family went to NY to visit other family.

I dont take vacations, never been a huge traveler. For the last while I usually took my vacation time at work in december when i would book off Mondays and/or Fridays and get short work weeks.

8 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

My Last 'Vacation' was my honeymoon in 2012

Before that was maybe 2006 when I went for a few days to Chicago with some friends (What was Matt Leinarts rookie season? He started a PS game at Soldier field when I was there). Before that was second grade which would have been early 90's maybe when my family went to NY to visit other family.

I dont take vacations, never been a huge traveler. For the last while I usually took my vacation time at work in december when i would book off Mondays and/or Fridays and get short work weeks.

One of my favorite lines came from my sister-in-law talking about family vacations to Disney or wherever: "It's not really vacation, it's just going away".  For me vacation is getting away from work to the point that I'm not thinking about work. Usually takes a few days to get to that point. 

5 hours ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

14 months not getting out of state is too long for me. I go insane if I don't get out of state after a year. I hate never traveling. 

I live in SE Pennsylvania.  I go 30 minutes south I'm in Delaware, 30 minutes east, New Jersey.  40 minutes Southwest, Maryland.  I get out of state all the time?

I usually need a vacation after a vacation. When I go on a trip with my wife we usually get up early, do a lot of walking, try to be at certain places at certain times, etc.

We plan, and plan more, and make contingency plans. It can be stressful. Weird sleep timing, weird foods at weird times of day. 

After that, I need a vacation. 

12 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I took my first week-long vacation in five years this year. It's absolutely amazing how much better I feel after it.