Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

Well, there are probably a couple of happy interns at the snooze today. A real gig in the news business. 

getting promoted and a very reduced rate of pay those clowns made. (which probbly wasn't much)

And the kids get press credentials for the Pegula sports empire. Have too wonder how much longer

the BN is around. letting two sports guys go changes nothing for this rag on life support. 

29 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

YOU NEVER MISS THEM TILL THEIR GONE

AND, if you think you hate these writers, wait till you see who replaces them

some kid in India who free lances on the weekends

No, more likely they'll be replaced by computer-generated copy.  

Like them or hate them, in today's world of twitter, google, AI,  they didn't provide any added value to the News.  Bye-bye

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Personally I didnt care one way or the other but while the ppl deserve an "objective" voice....its also ok to write things that were "logical and objective" not just write things that you knew were so bad that ppl might read them like they cant look away from a car wreck.

We are in a period where there are MANY people like yourself that just want to be told things they want to hear.    You can find people on here who have "logically" proven to themselves that the new Bills regime is in year one.   I've seen it.   

While I find that kind of tell-me-what-I-want-to-hear nonsense incredibly stupid and certainly not in the best interest of the whole.......... I benefit a great deal financially from passively observing that kind of stupidity so I'm good either way.

I thought Tyler Dunne was pretty good but he never really got a chance to write more than a few articles before he left after a year of being basically an intern.  He seemed to have an interesting writing style, and actually wanted to write a feature about getting to know a player (he wrote the sammy article where sammy came off selfish), not just hot takes about who to fire and why everything's on fire.  His opinion's didn't come off as hating the actual team he covered.

The Sammy article totally got taken out of context, and Sammy seemed to blame Tyler on twitter which wasn't fair when its guys like Rodak quoting your article and essentially claiming it as their own.  

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We are in a period where there are MANY people like yourself that just want to be told things they want to hear.    You can find people on here who have "logically" proven to themselves that the new Bills regime is in year one.   I've seen it.   

While I find that kind of tell-me-what-I-want-to-hear nonsense incredibly stupid and certainly not in the best interest of the whole.......... I benefit a great deal financially from passively observing that kind of stupidity so I'm good either way.

They both came off that they didn't like the teams that they covered, and didn't seem to cover what was actually happening on the field/ice, so much as arguing about what what doug whaley meant when he said this and when he fired rex, or whatever.  We caught you in a lie! We got you! - so what? 

None of it seemed to have anything to do with the actual players, the actual games, etc.  

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I see

so the clickbait writer that constantly takes the sourpuss view this is what you are defending

personally I have no problem with objectivity as long as it doesn’t have arrogance that so often accompanies it

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How so?

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And his columns on trying to break 100 during Bills training camp were an insult to his employers and all 172 of his fans.  Good riddance, I wonder if he'll try to weasel back as did Pergament.

Improvement by subtraction but I suspect he will be posting "guest columns" or under an alias.  I cannot see him giving up his venomous campaign.  Plus some Sulky Zombies might threaten suicide.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Haha (+1) 1

I just signed up for a year .  I give somebody over there credit for having the balls clean out the dead weight.  Tim Should go too but he is not in the sports department.  Vic should stay and they should invest in a good up and coming guy like Tyler Dunne.   

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Who here is willing to admit that they said they wouldn't never pay $2.99 for the News because of Sully and Bucky, and now are paying it because the News made a good choice and/or listened to its (non) readers. 

you can never measure what you lose by not making a change.  You have to go with your gut.  They made the right call.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I thought Tyler Dunne was pretty good but he never really got a chance to write more than a few articles before he left after a year of being basically an intern.  He seemed to have an interesting writing style, and actually wanted to write a feature about getting to know a player (he wrote the sammy article where sammy came off selfish), not just hot takes about who to fire and why everything's on fire.  His opinion's didn't come off as hating the actual team he covered.

The Sammy article totally got taken out of context, and Sammy seemed to blame Tyler on twitter which wasn't fair when its guys like Rodak quoting your article and essentially claiming it as their own.  

They both came off that they didn't like the teams that they covered, and didn't seem to cover what was actually happening on the field/ice, so much as arguing about what what doug whaley meant when he said this and when he fired rex, or whatever.  We caught you in a lie! We got you! - so what? 

None of it seemed to have anything to do with the actual players, the actual games, etc.  

agree 100 percent.  I get it Whaley is not a great public speaker.  He never found a qb but he wasn't a disaster either. He put together an average team that needed a qb.  Bucky and Sully treated him like garage .   I was done with Bucky after the famous " the fans want to know what you do to earn your money"  no we don't , we understand the situation .  The owner fired Rex. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Upgrade

Based upon some of the errors that get by, this newer pack of reporters and their editors must have got their 'journalism' degree off the match book cover.

1 minute ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

Bucky and Sully treated him like garage . 

Watch your autocorrect...unless you're trying for an editor's or reporter's position.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I may be off base on this, but what is the typical shelf life of a specific reporter in a market? It seems to me that if you have been writing for 29 years in the same market you should probably be a rockstar revered journalist. I am not sure the two in question met that level of esteem. With their tenure either you are a local treasure or your voice probably needs to be refreshed. 

That's exactly right.

People think writers like Sullivan have worth? Easy enough to determine. See where he lands. If he's as important as people want to believe, it will be revealed in short order. 

Or it won't.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Who here is willing to admit that they said they wouldn't never pay $2.99 for the News because of Sully and Bucky, and now are paying it because the News made a good choice and/or listened to its (non) readers. 

Interesting take.

Just now, LABillzFan said:

That's exactly right.

People think writers like Sullivan have worth? Easy enough to determine. See where he lands. If he's as important as people want to believe, it will be revealed in short order. 

Or it won't.

Not sure that is true. He's getting up there in age. Think of him as an NFL veteran getting released at age 35. Some teams may sign him but not what he would have made ten years ago. Sure, your writing skills often don't diminish with age, but there is a large element of ageism in most corporate entities. If he was released ten years, or twenty years ago, his worth to other papers would be much higher. 

26 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Generally speaking, most sports writers have two common traits: they don't really earn much money relative to their effort, and they tend to lean left ideologically.

So you often times end up with a person who works a lot of hours earning whatever his union can get him, and his/her job is to report on billionaire's sports teams. One bleeds into the other, which is why no one is surprised to find out what you note above: they don't like the teams they cover, they don't like the owners of the teams, and oh, by the way, they work ridiculously long hours for one part pay and two parts notoriety.

In three days, you know who will miss Sully the most? The other sports writers who know him.

The rest of us? Not so much, I predict.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Not sure that is true. He's getting up there in age. Think of him as an NFL veteran getting released at age 35. Some teams may sign him but not what he would have made ten years ago. Sure, your writing skills often don't diminish with age, but there is a large element of ageism in most corporate entities. If he was released ten years, or twenty years ago, his worth to other papers would be much higher. 

I agree with what you're saying, but let's be honest: how much effort does it take to do what he does? Drive somewhere. Sit. Watch. Walk. Interview. Record. Walk. Drive somewhere. Sit. Type. Submit. It's not like he's too old to play the game. He's a freaking writer. His biggest physical concern is carpal tunnel.

Sully was a TROLL, not a journalist or even a legitimate columnist.

By which I mean HE DIDN'T BELIEVE THE BS HE WAS SPOUTING - he was just (constantly) trying to score more clicks by pissing people off - it didn't even matter to him if he contradicted himself within the same column.

It works, btw - up to a point - eventually as he was figured out, all he was doing was dragging down the reputation of the whole paper.