Jump to content
26CornerBlitz

Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The old curmudgeon Buffalo News, hopefully. Time for fresh perspective.

Agreed. I know they are outdated but I still enjoying reading a newspaper and there are some excellent writers.  I hope they don’t go away.  Minus guys like Sully, I remember the News being a pretty good paper for most of my life.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed. I know they are outdated but I still enjoying reading a newspaper and there are some excellent writers.  I hope they don’t go away.  Minus guys like Sully, I remember the News being a pretty good paper for most of my life.

It just strikes me that certain writers play up the Buffalo paranoia. Who's insulting us now? Don't expect success because it's the Bills/Sabres. Don't accept outsiders. It's tiresome and reinforces the local woe-is-us attitude.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the paper isn't needed as the tv and radio stations have columns on their sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

How do you know?

 

Someone who is close to the situation told me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Rico said:

Thanks Bucky for helping to spread the truth about Ralph, Brandon, Whaley, and the rest of Ralph’s trash. Happy trails!

 

And with the good comes the bad (i.e., the misogynistic attitude towards Kim Pegula).  Won't miss him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up reading the Courier, the News, and the Tonawanda News every day.  To me it's just incredibly sad to see so many papers going downhill.  What we're going to be left with a wannabe journalists writing their blogs and such,  Internet sites masquerading as news sources that simply post whatever they can as quick as they can, and such.  True good journalism, involving solid research, solid use of sources, integrative study of local issues, and solid writing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

 

Maybe they can figure out a way to replace the printed page with the electronic page and still figure out some kind of profit margin.  But for me it will never replace the feeling of the paper in your hands and you turned pages to get your news.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It just strikes me that certain writers play up the Buffalo paranoia. Who's insulting us now? Don't expect success because it's the Bills/Sabres. Don't accept outsiders. It's tiresome and reinforces the local woe-is-us attitude.

 

 

You are literally describing yourself.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

This is the beginning of the end for the Buffalo News.

I disagree get some new blood in, guys who know what they are talking about.  A lot of people have grown tired of the same feel good stories and complaining. Games are never ever broke down to the problem because the guys and gals writing it don't know what they are watching in Bills or Sabres games. Same with WGR give me an explayer on the postgame show about what happened today. Nope I get Bulldog and Schopp who don't want to be there and will tell you that repeatedly on top of not knowing anything most of us don't already know and in too many cases less.

 

Lastly Good Bye Bucky can't leave fast enough like everyone else they are lifers because honestly no one else would hire them or they would have left already. Tyler Dunne is the last guy who knew how to explain why things aren't working. It wasn't Russ Brandon no matter how many TBN articles were written 

Edited by CardinalScotts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’d bet money that that player won’t be better than Kane. Guys who are capable of getting 30 goals and who are tough are hard to find.  

 

But it I do realize there were other factors at play.  But I’d like this team better with Kane on it going forward.  He was really good for SJ and played pretty well here with a bunch of crap around him, minus Eichel.

 

I liked Kane on the ice too but 7 years is something I wouldn't be willing to give him.  His style of play comes with the concession he'll miss some time and likely cause that to be an issue sooner than that contract will expire.  I also don't think the teams leadership was strong enough to absorb Kane being one of the best players on the team.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess he had a lot of fans on this board, but I got tired of his constant vitriol against the Sabres and Bills organizations. Neither team has been perfect over the years, and any entity with that much influence in a community should be open to public scrutiny, but I always felt that Bucky had way too much of a personal vendetta - especially against the players. It's kind of pathetic for a guy who couldn't run a 40-yard dash without stopping at Arby's, to be so venomously critical of pro athletes' performance. I think it affected his work, because it seemed like the players didn't want to talk to him. I stopped reading his work a long time ago. 

 

Kind of ironic that his career at TBN ends with a buyout, which seemed to be his standard prescription for every underperforming Sabre over the years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rico said:

Thanks Bucky for helping to spread the truth about Ralph, Brandon, Whaley, and the rest of Ralph’s trash. Happy trails!

 

 

I never liked Bucky's work but man what a disgusting **** show the last 15 years......and truthfully MOST of Ralph's ownership was.     Some things needed to be said.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I disagree. No creature on earth poops more happily than when its pooping on a Gleason column. Just can't achieve the same level of satisfaction. It is known. 

 

Hmmm, K-9... you wouldn’t be speaking from a place of personal experience, now would you?  Go poop on the paper. Whoooo’s a gooood boooyyyy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i flew down to the tampa bills game like 15 years ago and he was late for the flight and i took his seat and always felt bad about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, transient said:

 

Hmmm, K-9... you wouldn’t be speaking from a place of personal experience, now would you?  Go poop on the paper. Whoooo’s a gooood boooyyyy?

If my moniker had anything to do with the association between dogs and K-9s, I'd find even funnier. But it doesn't so I can only give it a slight chuckle. And while I don't poop on newspaper, I have used Bucky's column to wipe afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

..just a wild hunch, but Bucky ends up at NFLN..............

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, skibum said:

I guess he had a lot of fans on this board, but I got tired of his constant vitriol against the Sabres and Bills organizations. Neither team has been perfect over the years, and any entity with that much influence in a community should be open to public scrutiny, but I always felt that Bucky had way too much of a personal vendetta - especially against the players. It's kind of pathetic for a guy who couldn't run a 40-yard dash without stopping at Arby's, to be so venomously critical of pro athletes' performance. I think it affected his work, because it seemed like the players didn't want to talk to him. I stopped reading his work a long time ago. 

 

Kind of ironic that his career at TBN ends with a buyout, which seemed to be his standard prescription for every underperforming Sabre over the years. 

 

Agreed. I have zero issue if a columnist was critical of a player or the team, I write for a Sabers website and have had my criticisms. The difference though is both Sully and Bucky would take unnecessary shots and criticism at players, the team, and the owners that was unwarranted. My understanding is that the Pegula's got fed up with both of them real quick and effectively started blocking or just not giving access to both. Additionally with WGR gaining a major foothold they always seemed bitter about that development.

 

I will say both teams awful performance had to take a toll because I don't think anyone was to constantly have to write about negative stories, but even in the good moments Bucky still could find a way to be negative. Newer blood has been needed for a long time in the sports area so this is 100% for the best.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I heard a rumor that Sullivan is on the fence about leaving as well....

 

Is it the same fence that Cyrus K climbed over naked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That is just the sort of leader I want at the helm when times get rough! :thumbsup:

 

Going all the way back to George Washington at Valley Forge who said "Gentlemen was are fighting the world's largest Empire. We are doomed"

 

Very inspiring.

 

I had kin at valley forge. Probably the most interesting winter in American history 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

This is the beginning of the end for the Buffalo News.

 

With nearly half a million daily readers?    Not anytime soon, especially if they get their costs down with these buyouts.

 

And it's a banner day with the Buckster moving on and rumors of Sully thinking about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was up & down with Bucky's articles. Some I liked, some I didn't.

But I sure like Bucky a hell of a lot more than Sullivan. Jerry's articles just plain suck. Maybe he can get a job in Rhode Island somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

 

smart move by Bucky. he sees the hand writing on the wall. newspapers time is marked. won't be much longer when the getting out won't be as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say I'm all that sad to see Bucky leaving... 

 

Now we just need Sully to request a buyout! Come on Sully, you know you want to. 

 

I wouldnt mind seeing Harrington leave either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It just strikes me that certain writers play up the Buffalo paranoia. Who's insulting us now? Don't expect success because it's the Bills/Sabres. Don't accept outsiders. It's tiresome and reinforces the local woe-is-us attitude.

"Hello, who is this?"

 

"Hello! I'm looking for a Mr. Kettle."

 

"This is him, may I ask who is calling?"

 

"This is Mr. Pot, it's a pleasure to finally meet you!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I grew up reading the Courier, the News, and the Tonawanda News every day.  To me it's just incredibly sad to see so many papers going downhill.  What we're going to be left with a wannabe journalists writing their blogs and such,  Internet sites masquerading as news sources that simply post whatever they can as quick as they can, and such.  True good journalism, involving solid research, solid use of sources, integrative study of local issues, and solid writing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

 

Maybe they can figure out a way to replace the printed page with the electronic page and still figure out some kind of profit margin.  But for me it will never replace the feeling of the paper in your hands and you turned pages to get your news.

It's inevitable. The local dailies are dying. I too feel that something will be lost, having grown up with the local paper. But I guess I'm part of the problem - I dropped my last local daily subscription about half a dozen years ago, and I really can't see what would make me go back, print or online paid subscriptions ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×