Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except it wasn't done just for recruiting. It was done to give UB the status of being THE state school, like a Penn State or Ohio State.  To raise the profile of the school nationally.

The issue is that UB isn't any better than Stony Brook (a better run institution) at this point, and it's a worse undergraduate institution than Binghamton (I say this as a UB grad). Why should they get the claim to the NY moniker?  Both Stony Brook and Binghamton are inarguably more selective now too. 

The basic issue is that the SUNY system was modeled on the UC system, with a bunch (4) of university centers and a larger number of colleges. In retrospect (given that NYS entered a decades-long stretch of relative decline just as the system was created), there should have been a flagship campus in the Hudson valley and a "State" campus in western NY (a la the Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, etc. systems). Water under the bridge now, of course, but UB is never going to be elite enough relative to the other two to claim the mantle of being "the" state university in NY.  Indeed, UB was initially conceived of the Berkeley of the system, but it never achieved that height relative to the others (partly because of regional economic decline). Why not just be happy with what the California model SUNY follows actually does -- derive the school name from its locale (UCSD, UCLA, UCSB, etc.)? 

Edited by dave mcbride

37 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Bull crap. Fresno (large V on the back of their helmets) did it when Pat Hill was coach and it continues today. I’m sure there are other examples, including the Bills regionalization efforts. Does it work? Who knows? But for locals to get their panties bunched is extreme.

You say "crap" a lot.

@YoloinOhio

Edited by Gugny
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You just made my point with your last sentence. 

Just so you know I have never said that your opinions are invalid. It just seems that you have a tendency to challenge the person for an opposing position. Just an observation. 

Mirror, mirror on TSW, who's got the most legitimate POV of them all.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So you don't think I have a valid opinion on this matter? It's just my chip? At least I'm stating reasons. It would be nice if instead of snark you respond with a reasoned dissent.

Is that a serious inquiry?  

No, I think you have such a large chip on your shoulder that any slight, real or imagined, against Buffalo gets to you.

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Sorry about that. I’ve edited my original post above. You’re right, it’s time to call a spade a spade.

Spade?  Okay, Roseanne.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The issue is that UB isn't any better than Stony Brook (a better run institution) at this point, and it's a worse undergraduate institution than Binghamton (I say this as a UB grad). Why should they get the claim to the NY moniker?  Both Stony Brook and Binghamton are inarguably more selective now too. 

The basic issue is that the SUNY system was modeled on the UC system, with a bunch (4) of university centers and a larger number of colleges. In retrospect (given that NYS entered a decades-long stretch of relative decline just as the system was created), there should have been a flagship campus in the Hudson valley and a "State" campus in western NY (a la the Michigan, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, etc. systems). Water under the bridge now, of course, but UB is never going to be elite enough relative to the other two to claim the mantle of being "the" state university in NY.  Indeed, UB was initially conceived of the Berkeley of the system, but it never achieved that height relative to the others (partly because of regional economic decline). Why not just be happy with what the California model SUNY follows actually does -- derive the school name from its locale (UCSD, UCLA, UCSB, etc.)? 

And yet there is a "Cal."

2 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Is that a serious inquiry?  

No, I think you have such a large chip on your shoulder that any slight, real or imagined, against Buffalo gets to you.

It was a serious inquiry. One which you declined, apparently. How come?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You don't suppose he and Brandon could pick up 'wardrobe considerations' from Napoli's Men's Shop, even in their relative 'disgrace'?

Ok, how about United Mens' Stores?  Chess King?

Shout out to Chess King, my employer senior year of HS. Then I moved up to Structure. Then I got behind a bar and realized that working retail is for suckers!

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And yet there is a "Cal."

It was a serious inquiry. One which you declined, apparently. How come?

Um ... UB is not "Cal" -- I mean it's not even close in virtually every category, so why bring this up? -- and most people call it UC-Berkeley or Berkeley now anyway (within both academia and the state of California, that is).  Sports fans call it "Cal," I guess. More importantly , for half a century Cal was the only state public institution, created long before the second one, UCLA. Berkeley was created in 1868 and UCLA was created in the 1920s.  UB and the others all came into existence as SUNY schools at exactly the same moment in the early 1960s. 

It's not an apt comparison. 

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Part 2 from The Public

What's Happening at the Buffalo News: Part 2

http://www.dailypublic.com/articles/06012018/whats-happening-buffalo-news-part-2

Interesting read. Part 1 was fascinating as well. I actually liked Jerry. Was too much of the same at times? Absolutely. However, if you ever hear him on out of town radio, such as the FAN590, he is really insightful. The BN dug their own grave and it's convenient to blame the style of a man for alienating your readership rather than own up to your own mistakes. 

46 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Um ... UB is not "Cal" -- I mean it's not even close in virtually every category, so why bring this up? -- and most people call it UC-Berkeley or Berkeley now anyway (within both academia and the state of California, that is).  Sports fans call it "Cal," I guess. More importantly , for half a century Cal was the only state public institution, created long before the second one, UCLA. Berkeley was created in 1868 and UCLA was created in the 1920s.  UB and the others all came into existence as SUNY schools at exactly the same moment in the early 1960s. 

UB was founded in 1846. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The sports comparison was the one I was making. That there is a "Cal," a Penn State, an Ohio State, etc. That was the thinking behind the New York branding. It wasn't a comparison of institutions on an academic level.

50 minutes ago, K-9 said:

UB was founded in 1846. 

Dave McBride did qualify his statement "...as SUNY schools" so he isn't wrong. But unlike the California system they were supposedly modeled on, SUNY placed no value on major level athletics. UB has been playing catch up since. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The sports comparison was the one I was making. That there is a "Cal," a Penn State, an Ohio State, etc. That was the thinking behind the New York branding. It wasn't a comparison of institutions on an academic level.

Dave McBride did qualify his statement "...as SUNY schools" so he isn't wrong. But unlike the California system they were supposedly modeled on, SUNY placed no value on major level athletics. UB has been playing catch up since. 

I appreciated Dave’s qualification as I understand the inception of the SUNY system in the early 60s and UB becoming a member school. I just thought it was worth mentioning given his mention of how old Berkeley is when UB is actually 20 years older.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Bull gugny. Fresno (large V on the back of their helmets) did it when Pat Hill was coach and it continues today. I’m sure there are other examples, including the Bills regionalization efforts. Does it work? Who knows? But for locals to get their panties bunched is extreme.

Fresno's not Buffalo. It made news here in print, on tv and the radio that people were pissed off about it. If it was an extreme reaction as you say so be it. It happened though that's all I'm saying.

56 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

Fresno's not Buffalo. It made news here in print, on tv and the radio that people were pissed off about it. If it was an extreme reaction as you say so be it. It happened though that's all I'm saying.

It made news because certain writers chose to treat it like UB was kicking everyone's dog.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, beerme1 said:

But, Buffalo is Buffalo.  People were happy that the Bills regionalized because they understood that was the best way to keep the team long term.

How many people go to a typical UB home game?