Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

Nope, you're doing just fine all by yourself.?

My befuddlement is a raw talent that I have honed  and refined over time. The raw materials were always there. It just took effort to master it. I don't want to brag but I am a natural talent. Josh Allen may have incomparable arm talent but my level of confusion is well of the charts. ?

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's having a different opinion, then there is using your position to savage an institution for trying to become something bigger and better.

I thought the #NYBI rebranding was a smart move by Danny White. Why shouldn't UB step up and brand itself as the state's flagship university? Afterall, it's the largest public institution and the only one with Division I sports at all levels.

But nope. It's was too insulting to Buffalo. That was the BN take. Can't have a Buffalo institution represent all of New York State. Keep looking inward.

To me it was such small minded thinking, and the level of nastiness from DeCesare was uncalled for. (But utterly consistent with  most of the BN sports department.) That's my opinion.

I'm noticing a pattern from you, Bill. You know how you're always accusing me of defending the Bills? Pot meet kettle.

You think after 10+ years, you'd have driven to Home Depot and gotten some putty to fill that chip on your shoulder. Yikes. 

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

You think after 10+ years, you'd have driven to Home Depot and gotten some putty to fill that chip on your shoulder. Yikes. 

So you don't think I have a valid opinion on this matter? It's just my chip? At least I'm stating reasons. It would be nice if instead of snark you respond with a reasoned dissent.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except when he savaged UB for trying to rebrand athletically as New York.

I'm not saying this in a harsh way so I hope you don't take it as so but you have an inability to separate a person's critical opinions from the person. Too often you consider a critical comment, whether merited or not, as a personal assault on your favored object. Your instincts toward criticisms is a reflexive attack on whom it comes from.  You are too worried about protecting the tribe rather than listening to what is actually being said. You can do better. 

• Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not saying this in a harsh way so I hope you don't take it as so but you have an inability to separate a person's critical opinions from the person. Too often you consider a critical comment, whether merited or not, as a personal assault on your favored object. Your instincts toward criticisms is a reflexive attack on whom it comes from.  You are too worried about protecting the tribe rather than listening to what is actually being said. You can do better. 

You may have a point. I do tend to do that. But that doesn't make my opinions invalid. I thought DiCesare was wrong on #NYBI. I started my reasons why I thought it was a good move. There was a substantial community of UB fans who feel the same way about Gleason and DiCesare. Are they wrong too?

I think you might have the same reflexive response to my positions.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

13 hours ago, john wawrow said:

It was on Whaley for failing to represent the franchise, and being poorly prepped, knowing what he was in store for.

It didn’t help that he was leaking stuff to his friends while at the same time thoroughly avoiding the local media.

His tight-lipped responses were an embarrassment all around.

His desire to say as little as possible failed him and eventually shed full light on his many deficiencies. 

He had a future in Buffalo before that press conference.

And his fate was sealed the moment he stepped off the podium.

It was, as we put it in the business, a total sh&t show.

jw

I had the impression that Whaley thew Terry Pegula under the bus with his "not privy" stuff and acting as if he had no real inkling that Ryan was going to be fired. So then Terry had to come out and clarify stuff with hos own statements. I thought throwing your boss under the bus was not a good ploy. 

Thanks for the information you included and for your impressions.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

How is your buddy Rex doing these days Peter? ? I see the other brother on Fox occasionally and he is still blaming everyone but himself for what happened in Buffalo. 

On a more positive note..... I think Unai was a decent choice.  Onwards and upwards.  

Rex is doing just fine.  He is making a lot more money talking about football on ESPN than the peanut gallery of critics.  He also does not have to deal with weasels who threw him under the bus.

He can say that he had the best winning percentage of any Bills coach in the preceding 17 years and that his last team had a better point differential and relative offensive and defensive rankings than the team did the following year.

As you may know, I never wanted Arsene Wenger to leave.  I definitely was not part of the WOBs who caused tremendous embarrassment to themselves, but more importantly, Arsenal.

Having said that, I am excited about Unai.  I like what he has said about making sure that each player works hard and building the team around Ramsey and Aubameyang.   I like the fact that he left out the resident diva who never seems to put in a shift when Arsenal is not in possession and curiously seems to miss games with mysterious ailments . . . especially around the festive period and against tough northern teams.  The diva has a lot of talent that I hope Unai can harness.  If he is not willing to work hard, I have no problem with selling O.  He has not played like the highest (or second highest depending on the report) paid player in the EPL should play.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he hated public speaking that much, he could probably have accomplished 75-80% of what he needed to do with a well-crafted statement.

But if he wants to make decisions that will rouse intense media attention, he really needs to "cowboy up" and own them beforehand.  He could have made a statement and done the Wawrow interview beforehand if that was his preferred communication method.  It would not have been optimal, but it would have avoided hanging poor ALynn out to dry.

And you know, when you're in a position where you have to communicate - with his money he could hire a public speaking coach and practice.

There is something to what you say. And Lynn should not have been tossed out there. But you could look at it another way. Say you don't like public speaking in the format of a press conference. At 60 years old like Terry is, with a business empire to run,  you might take some extra time to try another round of public speaking lessons. Or you might prefer to let the GM that you are paying 5 million dollars a year to handle that aspect of things, handle them. 

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

Rex is doing just fine.  He is making a lot more money talking about football on ESPN than the peanut gallery of critics.  He also does not have to deal with weasels who threw him under the bus.

He can say that he had the best winning percentage of any Bills coach in the preceding 17 years and that his last team had a better point differential and relative offensive and defensive rankings than the team did the following year.

As you may know, I never wanted Arsene Wenger to leave.  I definitely was not part of the WOBs who caused tremendous embarrassment to themselves, but more importantly, Arsenal.

Having said that, I am excited about Unai.  I like what he has said about making sure that each player works hard and building the team around Ramsey and Aubameyang.   I like the fact that he left out the resident diva who never seems to put in a shift when Arsenal is not in possession and curiously seems to miss games with mysterious ailments . . . especially around the festive period and against tough northern teams.  The diva has a lot of talent that I hope Unai can harness.  If he is not willing to work hard, I have no problem with selling O.  He has not played like the highest (or second highest depending on the report) paid player in the EPL should play.

Sadly I doubt it will keep that sort quiet for very long at all. If Unai doesn't hit the ground running then by Christmas the WOBs will be the EOBs. It is just modern football fans sadly. 

While I never wanted Wenger out part of me wishes he had gone a year before on the back of the Chelsea Final having won the Cup. Would just have been a more fitting end. The key is who Unai and Sven can bring in because the squad needs work. 

35 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

There is something to what you say. And Lynn should not have been tossed out there. But you could look at it another way. Say you don't like public speaking in the format of a press conference. At 60 years old like Terry is, with a business empire to run,  you might take some extra time to try another round of public speaking lessons. Or you might prefer to let the GM that you are paying 5 million dollars a year to handle that aspect of things, handle them.

Obviously that's what Pegula preferred, since that's what he did.  But the problem is, the press wants to talk to the "fate controller", the person with the hiring and firing authority.

So either you have to give your GM the fate control and authority to go with the 5 million dollar salary, OR, you really need to cowboy up and show your face.  Otherwise you're hanging your subordinate out to dry.

It's not as though the media is expecting daily, weekly, or even yearly Pegula pressers.  But with the Rex firing, where he reported to Pegula and was fired by Pegula, Terry needed to be present and own it.   In this media age, he need not have even traveled from Florida or wherever, he could have been videocon'd in or as I said, have had someone craft and approve a press release and set up a 1:1 interview with a trusted reporter BEFORE the Whaley presser.

Now mind you, Whaley owns a lot of responsibility.  He could have prepared better.  But GunnerBill still has it right.

58 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought DiCesare was wrong on #NYBI. I started my reasons why I thought it was a good move. There was a substantial community of UB fans who feel the same way about Gleason and DiCesare. Are they wrong too?

Name that school. That's what should be on players jerseys and logo's on the courts etc. UB not NY. I think there had to be a better way of recruiting than than that move. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sadly I doubt it will keep that sort quiet for very long at all. If Unai doesn't hit the ground running then by Christmas the WOBs will be the EOBs. It is just modern football fans sadly. 

While I never wanted Wenger out part of me wishes he had gone a year before on the back of the Chelsea Final having won the Cup. Would just have been a more fitting end. The key is who Unai and Sven can bring in because the squad needs work. 

Indeed.  Especially on the back end. 

I do think that they have put together a good back room staff.  I also am excited to see Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan for a full year.  I think Ramsey has an opportunity to really excel based on what Unai has said.  I also am excited to see how Mavropanos develops.  I think that he could be great.  He had a great game against Man U for his first start.  I also was impressed that the atmosphere at Old Trafford was not too much for him even though it was his first start and he is so young.

I hope that they do not sell Bellerin.  There is nor need to create another hole.  I also hope that they re-sign Jack.  I still think that he has something to offer and he is still young.

1 hour ago, beerme1 said:

Name that school. That's what should be on players jerseys and logo's on the courts etc. UB not NY. I think there had to be a better way of recruiting than than that move. 

Except it wasn't done just for recruiting. It was done to give UB the status of being THE state school, like a Penn State or Ohio State.  To raise the profile of the school nationally.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except it wasn't done just for recruiting. It was done to give UB the status of being THE state school, like a Penn State or Ohio State.  To raise the profile of the school nationally.

It achieved nothing other than making proud locals feel like they were just slapped in the face. Like I said there must be a better way of going about this whether it was for recruiting purposes which I believe, or raising the profile nationally of the school that you believe. 

Wait a minute wait a minute. We're talking about the same thing aren't we!

12 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

It achieved nothing other than making proud locals feel like they were just slapped in the face. Like I said there must be a better way of going about this whether it was for recruiting purposes which I believe, or raising the profile nationally of the school that you believe. 

Winning is one way. And they are doing that now, which is awesome.

But why is everything a slap in the face? I'm from Buffalo. I went to UB. I took no offense in playing up New York. Seemed like a bold strategy to me.

One big reason it didn't work is was never fully implemented.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, beerme1 said:

Bull gugny. Fresno (large V on the back of their helmets) did it when Pat Hill was coach and it continues today. I’m sure there are other examples, including the Bills regionalization efforts. Does it work? Who knows? But for locals to get their panties bunched is extreme.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You may have a point. I do tend to do that. But that doesn't make my opinions invalid. I thought DiCesare was wrong on #NYBI. I started my reasons why I thought it was a good move. There was a substantial community of UB fans who feel the same way about Gleason and DiCesare. Are they wrong too?

I think you might have the same reflexive response to my positions.

You just made my point with your last sentence. 

Just so you know I have never said that your opinions are invalid. It just seems that you have a tendency to challenge the person for an opposing position. Just an observation. 

• Like (+1) 1