Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

It was on Whaley for failing to represent the franchise, and being poorly prepped, knowing what he was in store for.

It didn’t help that he was leaking stuff to his friends while at the same time thoroughly avoiding the local media.

His tight-lipped responses were an embarrassment all around.

His desire to say as little as possible failed him and eventually shed full light on his many deficiencies. 

He had a future in Buffalo before that press conference.

And his fate was sealed the moment he stepped off the podium.

It was, as we put it in the business, a total sh&t show.

jw

If not for that press conference, are you saying Whaley would still been employed as the GM? Scary thought if true.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Some owners are good at that and some are not. Lurie is pretty good at it and Terry is rather bad. That has nothing to do with the quality of ownership, or the right or wrong way to do that kind of thing. I'm thrilled with the Pegulas being the owners of the Sabres and Bills. I cringe when I see Terry speak in public about his teams or decisions. I don't like speaking in public either and suck at it. I imagine he hates it too. 

If he hated public speaking that much, he could probably have accomplished 75-80% of what he needed to do with a well-crafted statement.

But if he wants to make decisions that will rouse intense media attention, he really needs to "cowboy up" and own them beforehand.  He could have made a statement and done the Wawrow interview beforehand if that was his preferred communication method.  It would not have been optimal, but it would have avoided hanging poor ALynn out to dry.

And you know, when you're in a position where you have to communicate - with his money he could hire a public speaking coach and practice.

26 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

If not for that press conference, are you saying Whaley would still been employed as the GM? Scary thought if true.

That's REALLY scary.  

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

What's the Atlantic? Is a magazine or weekly sports publication?  

You live under a rock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantic

35 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

It was on Whaley for failing to represent the franchise, and being poorly prepped, knowing what he was in store for.

It didn’t help that he was leaking stuff to his friends while at the same time thoroughly avoiding the local media.

His desire to say as little as possible failed him and eventually shed full light on his many deficiencies.

It's been the strongly held hypothesis of some here, but I found it difficult to fathom since some of the leaks were so very damaging to Whaley himself.

What's up with that? Were there several sources of "leaked" information?

4 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Wrong publication.

3 hours ago, john wawrow said:

Nope.

It was a TBN decision.

jw

So, in theory, he can go back to that type of thing. Although his better options, assuming he is not retiring, might not be local.

jw

I believe this, but it is also amazing to think about. Despite his many other failings and the fact the team was changing coaches (again), he could have remained if he just avoided falling on his face and looking like a total idiot. That does not really say good things about ownership.

jw

On this, you and I agree 100%.

In my view, the guy leaked to undermine the head coach and save his job.  He succeeded in deflecting blame to the then head coach but his master plan blew up in his face.

The guy was a weasel.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, john wawrow said:

jw

Oh Doug made a mess of it. No doubt. But it was ownership's responsibility to front up. They didn't. It was weak and vacuous leadership and frankly there is simply no getting away from that. 

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the Pegulas but they totally and utterly screwed the pooch on that one. 

4 hours ago, Peter said:

On this, you and I agree 100%.

In my view, the guy leaked to undermine the head coach and save his job.  He succeeded in deflecting blame to the then head coach but his master plan blew up in his face.

The guy was a weasel.

How is your buddy Rex doing these days Peter? ? I see the other brother on Fox occasionally and he is still blaming everyone but himself for what happened in Buffalo. 

On a more positive note..... I think Unai was a decent choice.  Onwards and upwards.  

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Sure, I mean really!!!

How dare he have an opinion that differs from yours!

There's having a different opinion, then there is using your position to savage an institution for trying to become something bigger and better.

I thought the #NYBI rebranding was a smart move by Danny White. Why shouldn't UB step up and brand itself as the state's flagship university? Afterall, it's the largest public institution and the only one with Division I sports at all levels.

But nope. It's was too insulting to Buffalo. That was the BN take. Can't have a Buffalo institution represent all of New York State. Keep looking inward.

To me it was such small minded thinking, and the level of nastiness from DeCesare was uncalled for. (But utterly consistent with  most of the BN sports department.) That's my opinion.

I'm noticing a pattern from you, Bill. You know how you're always accusing me of defending the Bills? Pot meet kettle.

8 hours ago, beerme1 said:

They were deservedly savaged for that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

How is your buddy Rex doing these days Peter? ? I see the other brother on Fox occasionally and he is still blaming everyone but himself for what happened in Buffalo. 

On a more positive note..... I think Unai was a decent choice.  Onwards and upwards.  

Colin lost Leahy and now has guys like Rob Ryan rolling through. Yuck. Come on Colin, find some LA Instagram model and put her on instead. Rob knows nothing!

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

That's REALLY scary.  

You live under a rock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantic

I was aware of the publication but I didn't associate it with any of the local writers. I thought there was a new start-up venture that some of the local writers were gravitating to. My philosophy is to go big. When you are wrong take it to the max. ?