Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh Glorious Day! Oh Glorious Day!!

Typical pretentious take by Jerry Sullivan in his parting shot to his long time employer.  Good riddance to both he and Gleason, who anointed themselves the "defenders of the realm" and justified their constant negativity as "fair, objective, and passionate" when it only occasionally was.  What they did not seem to understand is that being a constant contrarian does not equate to fair and objective, and eventually becomes very boring, if not outright annoying, while alienating the very people in the organizations they are assigned to write about.  This made them both ineffective and "bad for business" in the end.  Perhaps the News will look for a new columnist who does not just pretend to care about the fans, but actually demonstrates it by taking their job seriously, and not themselves.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Our long regional nightmare is over!

Thank you Josh Barnett!    Best of luck with your recruitment of talented, motivated replacement(s) for this important position...

Glad they are moving these guys out.  Just too much negativity and “gotcha” questions at press conferences. Too much snarkiness.  I want balance, I want some actual reporting and positivity as well.  

I suggest Mathew Fairburn.  He seems to be the most knowledgable, balanced reporter.  

Sully and Russ are sharing remember whens with Donahoe and Whaley somewhere sipping fruity ass drinks.

I heard Whaley now spends most of his time trying to master the english language.  

• Haha (+1) 1

After 29 years here he became adept at pushing buttons, and he went to that place far too often. You can't continually antagonize the people that are paying your bills.

Maybe we'll get a Harrington buyout this week and hit the trifecta.

I thought Sully was a pretty good read for his Bills stuff and I agreed with most of his attacks on the prior Bills administration.  His left wing politics annoyed me but I will miss his Bills columns.  

He proved my point.  Without a column of easy to write opines, you just have an old, lazy journalist.  

I think tweeting out a parting shot to the company who employed you for so long shows the  character of Jerry Sullivan the individual.  

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, MDFan said:

What they did not seem to understand is that being a constant contrarian does not equate to fair and objective

Yep.   IMO, neither guy had the ability to see, understand or provide substantive explanations / critiques of what took place on the field, rink, court etc.   They were masters of the 'fan perspective' of b*tching and moaning and brought no real expertise on the sports they covered.   

The icing on the cake (especially with Sully) was the conceit that fans had short memories and would never remember what positions they took from season to season.  Jerry would repeatedly beat the drum for the Bills doing [fill in blank] only to rail against it at a future date as "the worst decision ever!"    That's a cop out, and it destroys whatever credibility the writer has with all but the bar stool fan base.

Turning the columns over to eager young writers who want the job--not retired in place guys like Sully--will be a good thing and should find a receptive audience...

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   IMO, neither guy had the ability to see, understand or provide substantive explanations / critiques of what took place on the field, rink, court etc.   They were masters of the 'fan perspective' of b*tching and moaning and brought no real expertise on the sports they covered.   

I can remember, actually, when Sully wrote stuff that was worth reading - that would be back in the '80s.  He knew something.  He just became trite and cliche'd

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The icing on the cake (especially with Sully) was the conceit that fans had short memories and would never remember what positions they took from season to season.  Jerry would repeatedly beat the drum for the Bills doing [fill in blank] only to rail against it at a future date as "the worst decision ever!"    That's a cop out, and it destroys whatever credibility the writer has with all but the bar stool fan base.

Yep, this!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Oh Glorious Day! Oh Glorious Day!!

Jerry, you don't get it, even on your way out the door.   "They felt my voice was becoming bad for business."   Yes, Jerry, "they" felt it because it was true, and you refused and refuse to recognize it.   From your point of view, it's always been that your voice was the voice of truth and therefore worthy of publication - just because it came from you.  

Well, guess what?   Gifted writer that you are, your voice nevertheless often was rude, insensitive, nasty, biased and downright uncivil.   Your voice offended many, and because nothing is more important to you than your voice, you just didn't care.   People don't like being around nasty people, but you never understood that, so you don't seem to understand why your voice was bad for business.  

It's too bad for you, too, because after all the years you invested in covering horrible Bills teams, you're now not going to have a platform from which you could enjoy what looks to be a team on the rise.   Of course, your voice might not have appreciated that, either.   

I hope you come at your new gig with a different perspective.  You're insightful and you can write, but if you're lacking basic human decency, you're going to be bad for business. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4