Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

1 hour ago, stony said:

They don't.  Curious if they ever get one. 

Actually I've read one is starting.

But don't forget about the Buffalo Star website 

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So did Sully officially take the buyout too, reading through here saw a couple of posts stating something like "hear Sully is leaving too" didn't see anything too official sounding unless I missed it??  Wonder if last Friday was the deadline for employees to sign up for the offer, thta's why both announced the same day?

On 5/25/2018 at 12:16 PM, oldmanfan said:

I grew up reading the Courier, the News, and the Tonawanda News every day.  To me it's just incredibly sad to see so many papers going downhill.  What we're going to be left with a wannabe journalists writing their blogs and such,  Internet sites masquerading as news sources that simply post whatever they can as quick as they can, and such.  True good journalism, involving solid research, solid use of sources, integrative study of local issues, and solid writing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Maybe they can figure out a way to replace the printed page with the electronic page and still figure out some kind of profit margin.  But for me it will never replace the feeling of the paper in your hands and you turned pages to get your news.

Times change. Remember when 411 was a thing and you had to pay per search for information you can get for free in about a second now? That's what these sports columnists at TBN are. They don't provide inside information, they just posted click-bait drivel to try and drive traffic to the site in order to justify getting paid for being professional trolls. Newspapers are/were important because they provided information to an uninformed public. Some time in the 90s when personality-driven content became the trendy thing a bunch of sports columnists stopped including insider info in their writing and decided to just make "hot takes" in order to grow their personal brands. People are no longer willing to pay for that crap. TBN sports desk doomed itself when it ostracized itself from the teams it covered and started getting scooped by the national media. I don't need a TBN sub to get Bills news, I just need a twitter feed. Why would I pay money to read poorly written troll pieces by Bucky and Sullivan? The only way for local journalists to maintain relevancy is to provide the local audience with information that national reporters don't have access to. TBN has failed in that and has only themselves to blame for it.    

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So did Sully officially take the buyout too, reading through here saw a couple of posts stating something like "hear Sully is leaving too" didn't see anything too official sounding unless I missed it??  Wonder if last Friday was the deadline for employees to sign up for the offer, thta's why both announced the same day?

Nothing new been announced yet, so it possible he could very well still be employed. He hasn’t tweeted for nearly a week though, so take that for what it’s worth.  Still I think if he was done, it would have been announced by now 

On 5/25/2018 at 1:09 PM, Lurker said:

With nearly half a million daily readers?    Not anytime soon, especially if they get their costs down with these buyouts.

And it's a banner day with the Buckster moving on and rumors of Sully thinking about it...

The Buffalo News is a daily newspaper published in Buffalo, New York. It is the largest paper outside of the New York City area.[2][3]

Circulation

As of 2016, The Buffalo News had a daily circulation of 147,085 copies copies.[2]

History

200px-The_Buffalo_News_front_page.jpg?AW

Front page of The Buffalo News

The Buffalo News was first published in 1880 as The Buffalo Evening News on Sundays. It was founded by Edward H. Butler. In 1977, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway company purchased the paper and began publishing it on a daily basis. In 1982, the name changed from The Buffalo Evening News to The Buffalo News, at which time it began publishing both morning and evening editions. In 2006, the paper ceased publishing evening editions and became a morning paper. The Buffalo News publishes three morning editions: the Western New York, Final, and Niagara editions.[2][3]

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Punt75 said:

As of 2016, The Buffalo News had a daily circulation of 147,085 copies copies.[2]

Subcriptions are  only part of the daily readership.   Newsbox and retail sales are also a large factor.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/229549/readers-of-the-buffalo-news-bf-daily-edition/

"This statistic illustrates the number of Buffalo News readers (Buffalo) (daily edition) in the United States from spring 2008 to spring 2017. In spring 2017, the number of Buffalo News readers amounted to 0.46 million."

Edited by Lurker

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Do you have any examples of this?  I don't doubt this but I am just curious as it's an interesting topic.  I can vaguely remember hearing some reports of Kane and Eichel hanging out gambling together in Vegas before they played the Knights this season but other than that I really haven't heard of any instances of those two getting into any bad situations together.  

I do have some specific examples but I am really not comfortable sharing them on this board.  Some of the stuff my friend told me was pretty bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Times change. Remember when 411 was a thing and you had to pay per search for information you can get for free in about a second now? That's what these sports columnists at TBN are. They don't provide inside information, they just posted click-bait drivel to try and drive traffic to the site in order to justify getting paid for being professional trolls. Newspapers are/were important because they provided information to an uninformed public. Some time in the 90s when personality-driven content became the trendy thing a bunch of sports columnists stopped including insider info in their writing and decided to just make "hot takes" in order to grow their personal brands. People are no longer willing to pay for that crap. TBN sports desk doomed itself when it ostracized itself from the teams it covered and started getting scooped by the national media. I don't need a TBN sub to get Bills news, I just need a twitter feed. Why would I pay money to read poorly written troll pieces by Bucky and Sullivan? The only way for local journalists to maintain relevancy is to provide the local audience with information that national reporters don't have access to. TBN has failed in that and has only themselves to blame for it.    

Agreed. 

I used to really love reading the behind the scenes/inside info pieces the Buffalo News would write. 

It was a little while after Pegula bought the Sabres that those types of pieces just started drying up. There were lots of rumors about a falling out between TBN and the Pegulas (I believe due to the constant litany of negative pieces). 

Once in a while I will see an inside access piece by Vic Carucci, or maybe John Vogl (who is now leaving...). But they are very very few and far between. 

So there's not much point in paying to read generic pieces that I can also find in 10 other places for free. 

Maybe bringing in some new blood will change this? I hope so. I miss the inside access stuff. 

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan Out Too

Wow, Seems Sullivan was pushed out based on his announcement. Took the buyout AFTER they took away his column. What was he expected to do if he had no column.

Say what you want about him being a crank, but the teams around here have sucked for a long time and he was the voice that was willing to remind us after a two game winning streak by either team that there was still a lot of work to be done.
I think this is a very sad day all around for Buffalo sports. I enjoy the paper because I could read more than just a game report. I enjoyed reading the OPINION of the people that covered the team day-to-day.

What will we have now? Just game reviews and feature articles?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its a shame.  

I know he is unpopular, but look at the state of both franchises in the 2000s.  Wouldn't want people who sugar-coat it.

I get this sentiment and I'm all for challenging the system. But Jerry seemed to take it to an obsessive level. He was too far gone with the negativity. I wish him well, but it was time. Onward and upward for Buffalo and its teams.

1 minute ago, theesir said:

Wow, Seems Sullivan was pushed out based on his announcement. Took the buyout AFTER they took away his column. What was he expected to do if he had no column.

Say what you want about him being a crank, but the teams around here have sucked for a long time and he was the voice that was willing to remind us after a two game winning streak by either team that there was still a lot of work to be done.
I think this is a very sad day all around for Buffalo sports. I enjoy the paper because I could read more than just a game report. I enjoyed reading the OPINION of the people that covered the team day-to-day.

What will we have now? Just game reviews and feature articles?

You could replace it easily:

• Buy a copy of the Buffalo News
  • lay it on floor
  • take down pants
  • drop a load of crap on it.

Now you have the Buffalo News with Jerry in it.

If still he has "passion" he will create an alternate newsletter and the dollars will just flood in!

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I get this sentiment and I'm all for challenging the system. But Jerry seemed to take it to an obsessive level. He was too far gone with the negativity. I wish him well, but it was time. Onward and upward for Buffalo and its teams.

He attacked the owners multiple times.  He should have been banned from press conferences a long time ago since he was not a reporter.

Maybe now without a paper to spew out venom the venom will feed back into himself and do what he was trying to do to Bills - poison myself to death.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

"fair, objective and passionate perspective" maybe at one time but he has neither been fair nor objective for a long time and his columns seems canned NOT passionate.

I am asking this in all seriousness, not as a bash. How old are you? If you're fandom really took root during these dark days it's easy to see critical columns as canned. I agree the message has gotten stale, but so has the losing and there's only so many ways to say that. 

Again, if you're old enough to remember (and have read the paper) during the winning years I think you may agree, if you're younger, I feel bad because as fans you (and your contemporaries) have been dealt a ****ty hand.

• Like (+1) 2