Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

Larry had  contacts and provided insight & inside information.

Tyler dug into stories and provided color & depth.

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

I honestly think Vic has gotten better in the last year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Bucky and Sully as individuals have little to do with the forces that are affecting them. It's a fact of life that is happening everywhere in their business. 

To a degree.  But as the signature columnists in the most important section of the paper, they have to be draws unto themselves as well.   No different than the on-air talent at ESPN or guys like Peter King during his SI stint.   Ratings and clicks matter.

IMO, neither Sully or Bucky delivered on that mandate.   These particular buyouts may be driven as much by house cleaning as cost cuts.   I fully expect the BN to replace both guys and look for cost control elsewhere.    These will be very important hires and Dunne and Fairburn would be very good gets IMO...

Edited by Lurker

3 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

This isn't unique to the newspaper business.    It happens in companies all across America at a regular basis.   It's literally the Jack Welch business model.

We have entered the Jack Welch business model on steroids. As you indicated it has been going on for a long time but now at a faster pace. Wearing blinders has a tendency to blur what is happening in front of you. Some people are too wrapped up in personalities (like and dislike)  while the reality is that the big wave is hitting everyone. It's about the $$$$. Has always been so and will continue to be so. What's obvious to some is not obvious to others. 

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

Agree with those who’ve said the bigger issue of the demise of local papers is going to mean less scrutiny of local issues, and more dependence on generic national stories. Less information results in a dumbing down of voters who vote on style over substance.

I always enjoyed Jerry’s willingness to rip the scab off sports issues, and missed him when he stopped appearing on WGR. But his passion is basketball and baseball, which unfortunately are not the top sports in Buffalo.

I worry about our dependence on all things electronic. We’re only one good EMP pulse away from everyone scrambling to museums to get the old hand crank printing presses out and finding cars without electronic ignitions. I ask my son who does web design, what skills do you have to survive if the electrical grid went out.

Sinclair is buying up local stations not only for business reasons but also for political reasons. It's getting scary. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/business/media/sinclair-news-anchors-script.html

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Ask the taxi industry if Uber hasn't affected their business? You claim that the newspaper industry isn't adapting. It is. It is eliminating the paper and going digital where it can. It still has to figure out the economics of a subscriber model. My point in my posts is that the Bucky and Sully personalities are miniscule factors in the altering nature of the business. They are part of the old guard that has little to do with dealing with the changing dynamics of the business that not only affects the BN but is an inescapable fact of life of business in general. That's my central point. Bucky and Sully as individuals have little to do with the forces that are affecting them. It's a fact of life that is happening everywhere in their business. 

I can agree with that part.

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

We have entered the Jack Welch business model on steroids. As you indicated it has been going on for a long time but now at a faster pace. Wearing blinders has a tendency to blur what is happening in front of you. Some people are too wrapped up in personalities (like and dislike)  while the reality is that the big wave is hitting everyone. It's about the $$$$. Has always been so and will continue to be so. What's obvious to some is not obvious to others. 

Sinclair is buying up local stations not only for business reasons but also for political reasons. It's getting scary. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/business/media/sinclair-news-anchors-script.html

...uh oh....gotta be Soros.....'bout time he meets the ITALIAN Orkin Man......we don't miss...............

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

I worry about our dependence on all things electronic. We’re only one good EMP pulse away from everyone scrambling to museums to get the old hand crank printing presses out and finding cars without electronic ignitions. I ask my son who does web design, what skills do you have to survive if the electrical grid went out.

Coincidentally, I just read an article in Popular Science about that very thing. Two points to add to your words. One is, it is more likely to be hacking that takes the power grid down. And they are fighting hacking probes from unknown places every day. People somewhere testing vulnerabilities to just that. Probably armies in other nations.

Then, if the electrical grid goes down, we have about 3 days before we run out of nearly everything. All foods that require refrigeration, any medicine, any ability to bank, make payroll, communicate, even water needs electric pumps. Everything goes away. Everything depends on computers which must have electricity. There is no back up system. They don't even teach kids to write in cursive any more. 

Even worse is if someone gets control of the networks before they bring the power grid down. They could just wipe bank accounts for example. All of them. Any financial records that are electronic. 

I only read that yesterday and haven't had time to process it, but it scared the crap out of me. 

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...uh oh....gotta be Soros.....'bout time he meets the ITALIAN Orkin Man......we don't miss...............

I hate the PPP board, but Huh?   

Soros is the right's liberal boogie man.   Sinclair is a conservative, pro-Trump company:   https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17180020/sinclair-broadcast-group-conservative-trump-david-smith-local-news-tv-affiliate

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I hate the PPP board, but Huh?   

Soros is the right's liberal boogie man.   Sinclair is a conservative, pro-Trump company:   https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17180020/sinclair-broadcast-group-conservative-trump-david-smith-local-news-tv-affiliate

...unknowingly, I traveled down the prohibited path of politics, so let it go for our mutual "board health"......

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I honestly think Vic has gotten better in the last year.

I attribute this to a more competent HC and OBD being in place.  The writers and columnists see these people and typically know what right looks like.  

That's not to say it's a guarantee McBeane will be successful, just that they have a plan which doesn't change every year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...uh oh....gotta be Soros.....'bout time he meets the ITALIAN Orkin Man......we don't miss............…

Respectfully, you are 180 degrees wrong. On this issue if you look to the right instead of the left you will know where the punch is coming from. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

To a degree.  But as the signature columnists in the most important section of the paper, they have to be draws unto themselves as well.   No different than the on-air talent at ESPN or guys like Peter King during his SI stint.   Ratings and clicks matter.

IMO, neither Sully or Bucky delivered on that mandate.   These particular buyouts may be driven as much by house cleaning as cost cuts.   I fully expect the BN to replace both guys and look for cost control elsewhere.    These will be very important hires and Dunne and Fairburn would be very good gets IMO...

I aleays felt columnists...especial sports columnists are supposed to stir the pot and cause controversy and create click bait.

as far as newspapers in thus day...

eith the internet niw now you don’t have to rely on the newspapers to hear the news.  On top that people don’t understand that people are paid to write.p rpthus fees cgarged.

with something like newspapers you don’t need to pay high salary for beat reporters.

in BN they skew older where many are 15 or more years vets.

i see newspapers becoming in ways like sports teams where only a few get hugh salary and stay around while 80% if the team us churned every 4 or so years.

On 5/25/2018 at 2:52 PM, hondo in seattle said:

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

Larry had  contacts and provided insight & inside information.

Tyler dug into stories and provided color & depth.

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

You really liked Felser - was it because in 1985 he said draft Doug Flutie #1 overall  (drafted in rd6 ) rather than Bruce Smith?  Or was it when he wrote before the 1989 Bills Cleveland playoff game to start Frank Reich now because Jim Kelly cant win a big game -?  When Kelly went on to throw 5 TDs vs Cleveland and went on to win 4 straight AFC championship games and numerous playoff games

15 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

You really liked Felser - was it because in 1985 he said draft Doug Flutie #1 overall  (drafted in rd6 ) rather than Bruce Smith?  Or was it when he wrote before the 1989 Bills Cleveland playoff game to start Frank Reich now because Jim Kelly cant win a big game -?  When Kelly went on to throw 5 TDs vs Cleveland and went on to win 4 straight AFC championship games and numerous playoff games

Lol.  You take two examples out of a 40 year career to define the guy?      Felser's body of work  was exemplary and way better than anything published on the Snooze sports page today...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, JohnC said:

You are giving Sully too much credit. While you may not subscribe to the BN because of Sully there are others who do so because of him. Overall, Sully's impact one way or the other is not as significant as you think.

I only heard Bucky was bought out; was Sulky too?

On 5/25/2018 at 11:08 PM, May Day 10 said:

I actually like these guys and the buffalo news.

I'm just saying the talent in their most important department is being let go.  That's a pretty dire sign.  

I would hardly call Bucky and Sulky "talent".  Barnacles is a better word slowing down ship.

• Haha (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wow, what devastating news!!! Honestly, where is he going to go?

I still don’t like the Kane trade and the tanking is pretty pathetic.  But it’s done now.

I read the same thing here a few years ago...

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1