Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

Larry had  contacts and provided insight & inside information.

Tyler dug into stories and provided color & depth.

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

Yeah. Vic started to take on the personalities of Bucky & Jerry S.

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Hopefully it manifests itself into something good (and up to date technologically) to fill the void

I actually dont mind the columnists at TBN... other than Harrington's ridiculous and embarrassing twitter wars with people.  I do think they could have served themselves well having a "positive outlook" point of view columnist.  Its been a tough 12-20 years in Buffalo sports, but having 3 columnists writing negative things (many earned IMO), is repetitive and one sided.

I wonder how much influence he had in poisoning the lockerroom.  Word/rumor is, Eichel and Reinhart got close with him and those 2 are a big part of the issues.  

Kane appeared to be a good soldier in his life's biggest contract year.  Now, with 7 years guaranteed and $50 million, let's see if he remains committed to his craft.  I have my doubts, and Im glad the Sabres werent the team to take that risk.  

Interested in hearing more about that.

About the BN, good riddance. Time to clean up the vibe around this city and the sports teams. 

56 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

43 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Yeah. Vic started to take on the personalities of Bucky & Jerry S.

It went downhill for Vic when he had to figure out Twitter.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Hopefully it manifests itself into something good (and up to date technologically) to fill the void

I actually dont mind the columnists at TBN... other than Harrington's ridiculous and embarrassing twitter wars with people.  I do think they could have served themselves well having a "positive outlook" point of view columnist.  Its been a tough 12-20 years in Buffalo sports, but having 3 columnists writing negative things (many earned IMO), is repetitive and one sided.

I wonder how much influence he had in poisoning the lockerroom.  Word/rumor is, Eichel and Reinhart got close with him and those 2 are a big part of the issues.  

Kane appeared to be a good soldier in his life's biggest contract year.  Now, with 7 years guaranteed and $50 million, let's see if he remains committed to his craft.  I have my doubts, and Im glad the Sabres werent the team to take that risk.  

You are very observant.  I have a friend in the marketing department over at Sabre's land, & she tells me they wanted to get Kane as far away from Eichel as possible, she said he was a very bad influence on him.  That was a big part as to why he was traded.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Kane's performance in his K year is NHL 101 for hockey players these days.

He will quietly fade into oblivion now, and make millions in the process.

Guaranteed Ks have destroyed the NHL.

I did not like Bucky’s articles. I remember when he bashed Terry Pegula for not making a statement about the Penn State sex scandal, which made absolutely no sense. Also, the way Bucky was grilling Doug Whaley at the season ending press conference was idiotic. I’m glad to see him go. Sounds like Sully is soon behind as well, so that’s good news. Too bad Mike Schoop isn’t joining them.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Birds aren't fussy.  They'll poop on used Sudoku and crosswords just as happily.

Add me to the list. I’ve been hit an inordinate number of times....usually in front of a crowd. Ask my wife, she thinks it’s hysterical! The worst was coming out of the water in front of a thousand people in beach chairs on a cruise. They were all a half dozen “Coco Locos’s” in, and it got more laughs than the comedian on the ship. I turned around and trudged back into the water to wash off....

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

You are very observant.  I have a friend in the marketing department over at Sabre's land, & she tells me they wanted to get Kane as far away from Eichel as possible, she said he was a very bad influence on him.  That was a big part as to why he was traded.

Do you have any examples of this?  I don't doubt this but I am just curious as it's an interesting topic.  I can vaguely remember hearing some reports of Kane and Eichel hanging out gambling together in Vegas before they played the Knights this season but other than that I really haven't heard of any instances of those two getting into any bad situations together.  

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

I’d definitely add Jim Kelley and Allen Wilson to my list, as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rico said:

Thanks Bucky for helping to spread the truth about Ralph, Brandon, Whaley, and the rest of Ralph’s trash. Happy trails!

How long before Rico gets a buyout from SDS?

7 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Bucky was paid to give opinions.  Not everyone is going to agree with his opinions.  People did read him and it resulted in discussion.  

Hope he lands on his feet somewhere.

He is not a cat so will land on his head but fortunately it is made of rock.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never liked Bucky's work but man what a disgusting **** show the last 15 years......and truthfully MOST of Ralph's ownership was.     Some things needed to be said.

Really? I thought you were Bucky's alias on this board.

3 hours ago, musichunch said:

Interested in hearing more about that.

About the BN, good riddance. Time to clean up the vibe around this city and the sports teams. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I did not like Bucky’s articles. I remember when he bashed Terry Pegula for not making a statement about the Penn State sex scandal, which made absolutely no sense. Also, the way Bucky was grilling Doug Whaley at the season ending press conference was idiotic. I’m glad to see him go. Sounds like Sully is soon behind as well, so that’s good news. Too bad Mike Schoop isn’t joining them.

:beer:

I take his leaving as another good sign that our fortunes are finally turning around.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Not really... Bucky and Sully leaving would be the BEST for the Buffalo News... they have alienated so many fans.

I have to agree. It was time for some new blood. I never really read any of Bucky’s stuff, but it seemed to me Jerry just dusted off old articles, changed some names around, and mailed in the snark. Good riddance. I welcome their replacements. 

• Like (+1) 5

10 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

This is the beginning of the end for the Buffalo News.

Because the guy you all hate left? Shouldn't that be a good thing to you guys, or is this just irrational hatred?

I don't get why so many people want a business fail because they don't like the opinions of a couple employees have on their favorite sports team. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have to agree. It was time for some new blood. I never really read any of Bucky’s stuff, but it seemed to me Jerry just dusted off old articles, changed some names around, and mailed in the snark. Good riddance. I welcome their replacements. 

Bucky and Sully's reporting have little to do with the plight of the BN. The newspaper business is being subjected to a new economic reality where the paper news is not viable in a world where many, if not most, are receiving their news through digital devices. Just as record stores are nonexistent because of music being downloaded and mortar department stores are at a fast pace vanishing because of online shopping from Amazon etc. the economic forces are on the one hand killing old line businesses and creating new businesses. 

The challenge for the BN is to make money from the  digital side of their operation. Getting enough subscriptions at a reasonable price is the new challenge that all newspapers are dealing with, including the major outlets such as the NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times etc. 

The notion that irascible reporters such as Bucky and Sullivan are factors in the steady demise of their company is missing the reality of the landscape for their business. They simply are two provocative columnists who provoke their readers. That's what columnists do. Whether you agree with them or not is not what they are getting paid for. If they are provoking a response, positive or negative, then they are doing what they set out to do. 

• Like (+1) 3