Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

10 minutes ago, skibum said:

I guess he had a lot of fans on this board, but I got tired of his constant vitriol against the Sabres and Bills organizations. Neither team has been perfect over the years, and any entity with that much influence in a community should be open to public scrutiny, but I always felt that Bucky had way too much of a personal vendetta - especially against the players. It's kind of pathetic for a guy who couldn't run a 40-yard dash without stopping at Arby's, to be so venomously critical of pro athletes' performance. I think it affected his work, because it seemed like the players didn't want to talk to him. I stopped reading his work a long time ago. 

Kind of ironic that his career at TBN ends with a buyout, which seemed to be his standard prescription for every underperforming Sabre over the years. 

Agreed. I have zero issue if a columnist was critical of a player or the team, I write for a Sabers website and have had my criticisms. The difference though is both Sully and Bucky would take unnecessary shots and criticism at players, the team, and the owners that was unwarranted. My understanding is that the Pegula's got fed up with both of them real quick and effectively started blocking or just not giving access to both. Additionally with WGR gaining a major foothold they always seemed bitter about that development.

I will say both teams awful performance had to take a toll because I don't think anyone was to constantly have to write about negative stories, but even in the good moments Bucky still could find a way to be negative. Newer blood has been needed for a long time in the sports area so this is 100% for the best.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That is just the sort of leader I want at the helm when times get rough! :thumbsup:

Going all the way back to George Washington at Valley Forge who said "Gentlemen was are fighting the world's largest Empire. We are doomed"

Very inspiring.

I had kin at valley forge. Probably the most interesting winter in American history 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

This is the beginning of the end for the Buffalo News.

With nearly half a million daily readers?    Not anytime soon, especially if they get their costs down with these buyouts.

And it's a banner day with the Buckster moving on and rumors of Sully thinking about it...

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It just strikes me that certain writers play up the Buffalo paranoia. Who's insulting us now? Don't expect success because it's the Bills/Sabres. Don't accept outsiders. It's tiresome and reinforces the local woe-is-us attitude.

"Hello, who is this?"

"Hello! I'm looking for a Mr. Kettle."

"This is him, may I ask who is calling?"

"This is Mr. Pot, it's a pleasure to finally meet you!"

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I grew up reading the Courier, the News, and the Tonawanda News every day.  To me it's just incredibly sad to see so many papers going downhill.  What we're going to be left with a wannabe journalists writing their blogs and such,  Internet sites masquerading as news sources that simply post whatever they can as quick as they can, and such.  True good journalism, involving solid research, solid use of sources, integrative study of local issues, and solid writing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Maybe they can figure out a way to replace the printed page with the electronic page and still figure out some kind of profit margin.  But for me it will never replace the feeling of the paper in your hands and you turned pages to get your news.

It's inevitable. The local dailies are dying. I too feel that something will be lost, having grown up with the local paper. But I guess I'm part of the problem - I dropped my last local daily subscription about half a dozen years ago, and I really can't see what would make me go back, print or online paid subscriptions ...

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never liked Bucky's work but man what a disgusting **** show the last 15 years......and truthfully MOST of Ralph's ownership was.     Some things needed to be said.

...and the Sabres since 2007 have been an equal mess.  Yet people wonder why the BN columnists have been negative for the last decade or more...they would have been criticized just as much for writing columns full of sunshine and lollipops, while the two local franchises were shitting the bed year after year after year.

Yes they were over the top at times, but that is part of their job probably dictated by their bosses.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

Sad sign of the times. Hate seeing the old institutions fading away and people losing their jobs.

But, contrary to BN  steady spewing everyone hates Trump and the Pegula's are clueless, many longtime subscribers feel the opposite.

They tired of that constant drumbeat and decided enough of this and cancelled their subscriptions in droves over the last couple of years. The BN expedited their demise.  

Just now, Ifartalot said:

Sad sign of the times. Hate seeing the old institutions fading away and people losing their jobs.

But, contrary to BN  steady spewing everyone hates Trump and the Pegula's are clueless, many longtime subscribers feel the opposite.

They tired of that constant drumbeat and decided enough of this and cancelled their subscriptions in droves over the last couple of years. The BN expedited their demise.  

Well if Ifartalot says it, it must be true!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ifartalot said:

You have facts to back that up...cancellation numbers and why subscribers cancelled?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...and the Sabres since 2007 have been an equal mess.  Yet people wonder why the BN columnists have been negative for the last decade or more...they would have been criticized just as much for writing columns full of sunshine and lollipops, while the two local franchises were shitting the bed year after year after year.

Yes they were over the top at times, but that is part of their job probably dictated by their bosses.

The problem is, Bucky and Sully never brought anything more to the table than any TSW poster could.   Or, more frequently, any drunk on a barstool.   

Once upon a time, this town had HOF columnists like Jim Kelley, Larry Felser, Phil Ranello and sharp young guys like a Vic C (not the current version who's retiring in place since he came back to Buffalo).   Those columnists had a deep knowledge of their sport, had contacts all over the league and could get insider stories that Bucky and Sully can only dream about.   The old school columnists worked hard to get that kind of perspective, and reading them added value to the fan experience. 

The current BN guys never talk to anyone besides the voices in their head, fart out columns that make good bird cage liner and block slots that could go to hungrier, more talented younger writers...

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You have facts to back that up...cancellation numbers and why subscribers cancelled?

Not that it'll satisfy you, but a "little birdie" friend of mine who's worked at the BN for over 20 years and is fretting about their job told me.

I didn't actively dislike Bucky but I can only think of three BN sports writers who I really liked: 

1.  Larry Felser

2.  Tyler Dunne

3.  Vic v. 1.0

Larry had  contacts and provided insight & inside information.

Tyler dug into stories and provided color & depth.

Vic 1.0 seemed to be developing into another Felser but things went wrong with him later on.

• Like (+1) 3