Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

5 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Even though it is now a 2019 first round pick?

I’d bet money that that player won’t be better than Kane. Guys who are capable of getting 30 goals and who are tough are hard to find.  

But it I do realize there were other factors at play.  But I’d like this team better with Kane on it going forward.  He was really good for SJ and played pretty well here with a bunch of crap around him, minus Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

The old curmudgeon Buffalo News, hopefully. Time for fresh perspective.

Hopefully it manifests itself into something good (and up to date technologically) to fill the void

I actually dont mind the columnists at TBN... other than Harrington's ridiculous and embarrassing twitter wars with people.  I do think they could have served themselves well having a "positive outlook" point of view columnist.  Its been a tough 12-20 years in Buffalo sports, but having 3 columnists writing negative things (many earned IMO), is repetitive and one sided.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’d bet money that that player won’t be better than Kane. Guys who are capable of getting 30 goals and who are tough are hard to find.  

But it I do realize there were other factors at play.  But I’d like this team better with Kane on it going forward.  He was really good for SJ and played pretty well here with a bunch of crap around him, minus Eichel.

I wonder how much influence he had in poisoning the lockerroom.  Word/rumor is, Eichel and Reinhart got close with him and those 2 are a big part of the issues.  

Kane appeared to be a good soldier in his life's biggest contract year.  Now, with 7 years guaranteed and $50 million, let's see if he remains committed to his craft.  I have my doubts, and Im glad the Sabres werent the team to take that risk.  

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Birds aren't fussy.  They'll poop on used Sudoku and crosswords just as happily.

I disagree. No creature on earth poops more happily than when its pooping on a Gleason column. Just can't achieve the same level of satisfaction. It is known. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The old curmudgeon Buffalo News, hopefully. Time for fresh perspective.

Agreed. I know they are outdated but I still enjoying reading a newspaper and there are some excellent writers.  I hope they don’t go away.  Minus guys like Sully, I remember the News being a pretty good paper for most of my life.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agreed. I know they are outdated but I still enjoying reading a newspaper and there are some excellent writers.  I hope they don’t go away.  Minus guys like Sully, I remember the News being a pretty good paper for most of my life.

It just strikes me that certain writers play up the Buffalo paranoia. Who's insulting us now? Don't expect success because it's the Bills/Sabres. Don't accept outsiders. It's tiresome and reinforces the local woe-is-us attitude.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Rico said:

Thanks Bucky for helping to spread the truth about Ralph, Brandon, Whaley, and the rest of Ralph’s trash. Happy trails!

And with the good comes the bad (i.e., the misogynistic attitude towards Kim Pegula).  Won't miss him.

• Like (+1) 1

I grew up reading the Courier, the News, and the Tonawanda News every day.  To me it's just incredibly sad to see so many papers going downhill.  What we're going to be left with a wannabe journalists writing their blogs and such,  Internet sites masquerading as news sources that simply post whatever they can as quick as they can, and such.  True good journalism, involving solid research, solid use of sources, integrative study of local issues, and solid writing is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Maybe they can figure out a way to replace the printed page with the electronic page and still figure out some kind of profit margin.  But for me it will never replace the feeling of the paper in your hands and you turned pages to get your news.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It just strikes me that certain writers play up the Buffalo paranoia. Who's insulting us now? Don't expect success because it's the Bills/Sabres. Don't accept outsiders. It's tiresome and reinforces the local woe-is-us attitude.

You are literally describing yourself.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

This is the beginning of the end for the Buffalo News.

I disagree get some new blood in, guys who know what they are talking about.  A lot of people have grown tired of the same feel good stories and complaining. Games are never ever broke down to the problem because the guys and gals writing it don't know what they are watching in Bills or Sabres games. Same with WGR give me an explayer on the postgame show about what happened today. Nope I get Bulldog and Schopp who don't want to be there and will tell you that repeatedly on top of not knowing anything most of us don't already know and in too many cases less.

Lastly Good Bye Bucky can't leave fast enough like everyone else they are lifers because honestly no one else would hire them or they would have left already. Tyler Dunne is the last guy who knew how to explain why things aren't working. It wasn't Russ Brandon no matter how many TBN articles were written 

Edited by CardinalScotts

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I liked Kane on the ice too but 7 years is something I wouldn't be willing to give him.  His style of play comes with the concession he'll miss some time and likely cause that to be an issue sooner than that contract will expire.  I also don't think the teams leadership was strong enough to absorb Kane being one of the best players on the team.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

I guess he had a lot of fans on this board, but I got tired of his constant vitriol against the Sabres and Bills organizations. Neither team has been perfect over the years, and any entity with that much influence in a community should be open to public scrutiny, but I always felt that Bucky had way too much of a personal vendetta - especially against the players. It's kind of pathetic for a guy who couldn't run a 40-yard dash without stopping at Arby's, to be so venomously critical of pro athletes' performance. I think it affected his work, because it seemed like the players didn't want to talk to him. I stopped reading his work a long time ago. 

Kind of ironic that his career at TBN ends with a buyout, which seemed to be his standard prescription for every underperforming Sabre over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Thanks Bucky for helping to spread the truth about Ralph, Brandon, Whaley, and the rest of Ralph’s trash. Happy trails!

I never liked Bucky's work but man what a disgusting **** show the last 15 years......and truthfully MOST of Ralph's ownership was.     Some things needed to be said.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I disagree. No creature on earth poops more happily than when its pooping on a Gleason column. Just can't achieve the same level of satisfaction. It is known. 

Hmmm, K-9... you wouldn’t be speaking from a place of personal experience, now would you?  Go poop on the paper. Whoooo’s a gooood boooyyyy?

4 minutes ago, transient said:

Hmmm, K-9... you wouldn’t be speaking from a place of personal experience, now would you?  Go poop on the paper. Whoooo’s a gooood boooyyyy?

If my moniker had anything to do with the association between dogs and K-9s, I'd find even funnier. But it doesn't so I can only give it a slight chuckle. And while I don't poop on newspaper, I have used Bucky's column to wipe afterwards.