Surprise Candidates For Starting WR Spots

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Zay is going to miss time in the preseason.  At least some of it.  Joe’s point was that missing part of the preseason was hard on Sammy and there’s a good chance it could affect Jones. 

You might be right about OTA’s.  Doesn’t take away from the fact that Dupre looked good out there

Who said this. Link me to where someone says he will miss preseason or some of it? I bet you cant find it.

and everyone looks good in OTA cause its OTA

I am most hopeful for Reilly.  And I find the draft picks of Ray Ray and Proehl pretty interesting.  

However, if you Google Bray's story he is really someone to root for.  And he had made the Colts and was carving out a name for himself as a returner and wideout when injured.  Still young -- I am not saying he is good, but he has shown enough in the league that he is not necessarily bad.  No Holmes or Streator though please.  

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Dupree is not impressive at all, in these clips from LSU. Lazy route runner, bobbles way too many passes and can’t break a tackle. I see no way he suddenly becomes NFL worthy. If he makes the 53, we really do suck at WR, IMO.

With all due respect Chandler....I am not sure what you are watching

Constantly adjusting to underthrown or poorly thrown balls

Making contested catches in traffic

Showing some pretty good body control while the ball is in the air to give him an opportunity to catch a ball all the while shielding off a defender

• Like (+1) 1

^

Interesting. We both may be right.. Getting into good position to fight for the ball, yet bobbles it. Shielding himself from the cover guy means he’s not going anywhere if he controls the catch. Lazy route runner means he’ll always be covered.

Dupree has been a top prospect since high school.  Seen as an underachiever, which may be unfair given his college QBs.

I think Reilly has more upside.

K. Clay, Bray and McCloud - all elite return guys likely competing for one spot.  I think Bray and McCloud likely offer more as a receiver, Clay drops passes.

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Who said this. Link me to where someone says he will miss preseason or some of it? I bet you cant find it.

and everyone looks good in OTA cause its OTA

Listen to the Bills Beat podcast which is embedded above

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

^

Interesting. We both may be right.. Getting into good position to fight for the ball, yet bobbles it. Shielding himself from the cover guy means he’s not going anywhere if he controls the catch. Lazy route runner means he’ll always be covered.

I honestly am wondering if it is a case of poorly thrown balls cause him to slow down and make a play for his qb.   I looked at the number of underthrows in that video and it was pretty bad.

I did see him bobble at least one ball.....but fight to control it till he secured it.

We will have to see I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, artmalibu said:

No bought its a team game. 

But when there are 2 or 3 plays a game that wide open WR arnt being thrown too  and WRs are hardly ever being thrown open the QB play could go from the 175 yards the TT gave us to 275 yard with the QB alone.  Not to mention that keeps defenses more honest that creates more opportunity.

no argument about that !

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I honestly am wondering if it is a case of poorly thrown balls cause him to slow down and make a play for his qb.   I looked at the number of underthrows in that video and it was pretty bad.

I did see him bobble at least one ball.....but fight to control it till he secured it.

We will have to see I guess.

Ive got to ask John.... why do you think that he was a 7th rounder, didn’t make his 1st team, and sat on our practice squad? Just his qb? 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:43 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I was really happy when they added Malachi. He was one of the top WR recruits in the country. At LSU he played with ? QBs. The talent was always there. He’s worth developing.

i think he was a 5th round pick pf the packers and got caught up in a numbers game .   If we drafted him in the 5th round last year and like him it wouldn't be a surprise that he was pushing for serious playing time .  My fingers are crossed that he can be part of the solution .   

On 5/24/2018 at 10:00 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know very little about Proehl, but it seems as if he might be better then adversitised. I have a guy feeling he ends up playing a lot in the slot and ends up being a Beasley type of guy. No actual reason, just gut.

i seem to remember hearing that he was a very good route runner. and i think he is fast enough. if he is at all quick, shifty, and fast into and out of his breaks, he could very well find a place on this team. 

Bottom line the Bills have probably the worst group of WR's in the NFL(or at the very least in the bottom 3).  There is no quick fix, and the chances of one of these "no names" solving the problem is somewhere between slim and none.

Their best hope is a vet gets cut at some point over the summer, and can at least try and fill the hole.  Much better than pinning our hope on Mariachi and Co.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Ive got to ask John.... why do you think that he was a 7th rounder, didn’t make his 1st team, and sat on our practice squad? Just his qb? 

I cant answer that.....there are too many variables

but its not like viable WR's are not found in the later rounds or even undrafted free agents.....they are found.

Why is Brandon Reilly (who I really like) not playing a huge amount of snaps for us last year?  

Its Benjamin.....then a bunch of question marks on this team.....a guy like this is gonna get a chance.

On 5/24/2018 at 9:26 PM, Ittakestime said:

Who said zay is missing preseason?

Nobody...but man what a tough start for his career. You just can't put too much faith in him right now... he's almost "just a guy" until anything else

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I cant answer that.....there are too many variables

but its not like viable WR's are not found in the later rounds or even undrafted free agents.....they are found.

Why is Brandon Reilly (who I really like) not playing a huge amount of snaps for us last year?  

Its Benjamin.....then a bunch of question marks on this team.....a guy like this is gonna get a chance.

Is too many variables code for “I only watched a highlight video and only argue the positives for most players”?

All the things chandler are pointing out are consistent knocks. He’s not a great route runner or technician which limits him. He double clutches or body catches a lot of balls. He could develop- no one is saying he can’t- but it’s a big task he’s likely not a big contributor in the short term even if he’s suddenly become passionate about his craft 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Nobody...but man what a tough start for his career. You just can't put too much faith in him right now... he's almost "just a guy" until anything else

Better start than the first round picks for WR that year

1 hour ago, THE SLAMMER said:

Walter Powell & Naaman Roosevelt

Yep. 

WR needy CFL teams are certainly keeping a real close eye on the Bills WR situation.

The hardest part of recruiting for the CFL is getting guys to let go of NFL pipe-dreams.

Not being able to make the Buffalo Bills.......the NFL's worst WR corps.........should absolutely remove all doubt about your prospects of becoming an NFL WR.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep. 

WR needy CFL teams are certainly keeping a real close eye on the Bills WR situation.

The hardest part of recruiting for the CFL is getting guys to let go of NFL pipe-dreams.

Not being able to make the Buffalo Bills.......the NFL's worst WR corps.........should absolutely remove all doubt about your prospects of becoming an NFL WR.

I beg to differ. Our fifth WR is not the worst in the league. A lot of teams are top heavy (a couple good and then a huge drop off).  A guy like Andre Holmes or Rod Streater would be our fifth. They both had success in this league. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

You might be right and it’s probably why he was a 7th round draft pick.  I’m just reporting what Joe B said.  He said Durpe looked really good in OTA’s and compared him to Stevie Johnson back in the day.  Like I said, it’s easily for WR’s to shine without pads or contact.  We’ll see what happens when it matters

No.

No he did not.

They just mentioned that Stevie looked good in OTA's back in the day and then made it.   They spent a lot more time talking about false reads like Dez Lewis and Felton Huggins who looked very good in OTA's and didn't pan out.     And how perhaps no other position is as different once the pads are on as the WR position.

I remember last year's OTA's when Andre Holmes was impressing everyone.     When they put the pads he reverted back to the old Andre Holmes.

Edited by BADOLBILZ