Josh Allen already impressing in Buffalo

You know, I was pessimistic about Allen. I wanted Rosen. I still want Daboll to move slowly, and don't rush Allen until he's ready.

That said, I have growing optimism. Intermediate passes have been where our QBs have struggled to find consistency over the years. Hearing that Allen is hitting them nicely does give me hope. I would like to see how he handles it when pressure is in his face, but at least there seems something solid to build upon. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

Listening to him and watching the way he carries himself he does give that feeling of a guy that has that "it factor". . 

People said the same about Manuel. Jussayin.

I think Allen is going to be good, though.

51 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Sal was on schopp and the bulldog yesterday and was mostly neutral about Allen. He said he had a nice day, missed a few throws, had some really good throws, but really likes the zip he has on the ball. He thought that they might have simplified reads at this point, so might not be asking him to do too much. He likes his energy and interaction with his teammates and coaches.

As a side note, did anyone else listen to the segment from yesterday? Bulldog was asking Sal how Allen talks and was curious what he thought about Beane's comment about how Allen "is Buffalo." Bulldog was starting to talk about how it kind of rubbed him the wrong way, because Beane's only been around for a year and doesn't know what "being Buffalo" is. Schopp interrupted and said something like, Beane's comments were around the time that Allen's old tweets came out. Bulldogg interrupted him before he really got to the point, but certainly sounded like Schopp's point was going to be, Beane thinks Buffalonians are racist, so is Allen, so Allen "is Buffalo."

Now, this seems ridiculous, especially to think a GM would say something so ridiculous, but it is Schopp we're talking about. 

It starts right around the 3:10 mark. Maybe I'm totally misinterpreting what Schopp is saying, so please feel free to call me a moron if I'm totally wrong.

https://d3efjls8gnbg8i.cloudfront.net/1642018/122814472.mp3?rhihttphost=wgr550.hosted.cx

Honestly, I get sick of hearing about Buffalo just being blue collar and treated like it’s just a bunch of Hicks.  Buffalo has a really bad history of being a very segregated place but in my experiences, it has become a much more diverse/ inclusive place.

Allen is a guy from Buffalo as well as Rosen could have been and like Shady is.  Buffalo isn’t just country guys who wear camo.  I worry that this Allen pick was because of other factors besides pure ability.  

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen is a guy from Buffalo as well as Rosen could have been and like Shady is.  Buffalo isn’t just country guys who wear camo.  I worry that this Allen pick was because of other factors besides pure ability.  

Not really sure that Rosen's personality would have fit in Buffalo, to be honest - see Marshawn Lynch.  

And, bad news, I'm sure the Allen pick was about more than just "pure ability" - qualities like leadership, team culture fit, work ethic and I'm sure even "Buffaloness" played into the decision.  Being an NFL QB is about a lot more than just "pure ability"...

18 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Word is from who? I’ve read no report like that 

People that were at the OTA's. 

15 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

You cant be serious. I didnt read a single he was holding the ball too long by any reporter there. Post it or get this bs outta here.

This is from people there. It was also discussed on WGR. 

Peterman threw mostly short balls. Either none or maybe one ball past 20 yards. 

AJM threw 2 balls past 20 yards. 

Allen threw 8 past 20 yards which is a good thing. Though they said he held on to the ball a long time in doing it, so who knows if in real action he would have had a play or been sacked, rushed out of the pocket etc. 

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, I get sick of hearing about Buffalo just being blue collar and treated like it’s just a bunch of Hicks.  Buffalo has a really bad history of being a very segregated place but in my experiences, it has become a much more diverse/ inclusive place.

I'm not from Buffalo so I don't have an opinion on the matter but I certainly can understand your position. It was schopp's comment that made me do a second listen.

Edited by elroy16

49 minutes ago, eball said:

I think Beane's comment that Allen "is Buffalo" comes largely from the fact he has a giant chip on his shoulder.  That's pretty much Buffalo in a nutshell.

I hope it wasn't a Buffalo chip.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know but I saw the phrase “threaded the needle” in the same sentence as the name of a Bills QB. I did a double take. 

I may need to make a trip to SJF this summer. I need to hear this audible “sizzle” for myself that his throws reportedly make. I’m intrigued. 

There's a little video in the OTAs thread, that you can hear the ball 'fizz' through the air when he releases it. ;)

Currently, Allen has the  benefit of a REALLY low bar in Buffalo... It will be at least preseason before anyone has a real bead on what he's capable of.

I'm more concerned with the coaching he's receiving TBH... A QB corp with as many question marks as ours needs top-notch instruction... It'll take a lot more than a few

good practice-passes to convince me that Daboll and Culley know what they're doing.

3 hours ago, Heitz said:

Not really sure that Rosen's personality would have fit in Buffalo, to be honest - see Marshawn Lynch.  

And, bad news, I'm sure the Allen pick was about more than just "pure ability" - qualities like leadership, team culture fit, work ethic and I'm sure even "Buffaloness" played into the decision.  Being an NFL QB is about a lot more than just "pure ability"...

Rosen’s personally would fit in just fine with all the SUNY students who populate the city. Far too many myths exist about Buffalo. It’s not the 70’s, and there is no longer a specific social class that dominates the area in numbers. Due to this, I’m not convinced that a “Buffalo personality” actually exists anymore.

With that said, maybe we just picked the guy who we think will be the best football player. Too many people are reading deeply into why we didn’t select Rosen. It would be more along the lines of Rosen not being “a process guy”, than not being a “Buffalo guy”. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

8 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Sal was on schopp and the bulldog yesterday and was mostly neutral about Allen. He said he had a nice day, missed a few throws, had some really good throws, but really likes the zip he has on the ball. He thought that they might have simplified reads at this point, so might not be asking him to do too much. He likes his energy and interaction with his teammates and coaches.

As a side note, did anyone else listen to the segment from yesterday? Bulldog was asking Sal how Allen talks and was curious what he thought about Beane's comment about how Allen "is Buffalo." Bulldog was starting to talk about how it kind of rubbed him the wrong way, because Beane's only been around for a year and doesn't know what "being Buffalo" is. Schopp interrupted and said something like, Beane's comments were around the time that Allen's old tweets came out. Bulldogg interrupted him before he really got to the point, but certainly sounded like Schopp's point was going to be, Beane thinks Buffalonians are racist, so is Allen, so Allen "is Buffalo."

Now, this seems ridiculous, especially to think a GM would say something so ridiculous, but it is Schopp we're talking about. 

It starts right around the 3:10 mark. Maybe I'm totally misinterpreting what Schopp is saying, so please feel free to call me a moron if I'm totally wrong.

https://d3efjls8gnbg8i.cloudfront.net/1642018/122814472.mp3?rhihttphost=wgr550.hosted.cx

Schopp is a !@#$ing idiot. Problem is he doesn’t know he’s a !@#$ing idiot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Allen threw 8 past 20 yards which is a good thing. Though they said he held on to the ball a long time in doing it, so who knows if in real action he would have had a play or been sacked, rushed out of the pocket etc. 

Hmm didn’t hear that but Big Ben, Arron Rodgers and Wentz hold the ball for a while as well. Obvisously want the ball out quick but big plays happen when you hold the ball. I’d put Russ Wilson on that list as well

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ngbills said:

This comment to me is a ridiculous thing for WGR to say.  Obviously a QB has to hold the ball longer on a play that is developing further down the field.  I think we can all agree that it takes longer for a play 20 yards down the field then it does 8 yards down the field.

It is not how long the QB holds the ball but how quickly the can release it once the WR is open.  I have seen many reports that Allen has a quick release.  How quickly he gets the ball out of his hand when he is suppose to is what they should be talking about.

• Like (+1) 1