Zay Jones Had Knee Surgery and is Out for the Spring - Back to Practice without Restrictions

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think he meant it was an on-going thing.   

Too bad they didn't identify it until OTAs.   He could have had the surgery two months ago.   

It would be great if he gets back for training camp.   He needs.  

I'm higher on Jones than a lot of folks here.   Lots of rookie receivers struggle, so I don't think that what we saw in 2017 is necessarily what we're going to see in 2018 and going forward.   He showed several good things last year, and I get the sense that he's really committed to getting the job done, that he's the kind of guy McD likes.   The drops were horrible, but both in college and some his later games last season, he's shown he can catch the ball.  

I know- only called attention because media professionals shouldn’t make those mistakes. It’s literally their core job function to accurately convey info.

I like Zay- athletically I think he just as talented as OBJ... just needs to get his head on right and start catching the damn ball... I belive Roddy White had a similar issue early on with drops so it’s possible.   

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wasn't it the knee that was injured on that play in the Jets game, where he'd beaten his man going deep and the defender tripped him to prevent a big gain?   He was never right after that game.

He was never "right" before that game!  Dude had his head on a swivel all season, he played with zero awareness or toughness and matched that ineptness with his bizarre offseason, and now this.  We've seen this movie before, there is about a 75% chance this kid busts at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see Buffalo walking away from Jones because they traded up to 37 (from 44) to draft him last year.  That move cost them a 3rd (91st).

Still, he had a bad shoulder last season and now has had another surgery.  Gotta wonder about his durability at this point.

Do people shout bust at any mention of certain players so that they can later claim to be smarter than everyone else?

Zay has good size, comes from a family with NFL success, was a top performer in the 20 yard shuttle, 60 yard shuttle, and broad jump at the combine, ran a strong 40, and oh yeah, plays a position that rarely makes an impact their rookie year. Can he not get better? Stevie Johnson couldn't make the 53 man roster for most of his rookie year. Can't we give Zay more than one year?

Most players fail in the NFL, so there's a better chance of him not being a good player than there is he becomes a strong #2. Here's a premature congratulations for predicting Zay to be a bust, congrats!!!

Edited by elroy16
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Wasn't it the knee that was injured on that play in the Jets game, where he'd beaten his man going deep and the defender tripped him to prevent a big gain?   He was never right after that game.

I suppose. I just don't recall it being a lingering issue. If it was, I guess they just wanted to see where it was by this time before electing the surgery. Hope its a quick fix. He's gonna be needed to take a step forward this year

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsVet said:

I don't see Buffalo walking away from Jones because they traded up to 37 (from 44) to draft him last year.  That move cost them a 3rd (91st).

Still, he had a bad shoulder last season and now has had another surgery.  Gotta wonder about his durability at this point.

All players get hurt- I view him playing through it as a positive.

No urgency to torch this guy yet. If he spent the off season with jugs catching a few hundred balls a day he will be fine 

we get a lot of what I like to call career year guys.   They hang around, playing just well enough to occupy a roster spot, then in year 3 or 4 right before a new contract is about to come up have a "breakout" year and then leave for more money on another team.    Nothing new. 

Well the good news is this is an improvement of the last time he was in the news!

i wanted JuJu but I still believe in Zay. But man, it’s a tough start.  Also, I don’t really believe in our ability to scout offensive players.  Very questionable so far.

2 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Do people shout bust at any mention of certain players so that they can later claim to be smarter than everyone else?

Zay has good size, comes from a family with NFL success, was a top performer in the 20 yard shuttle, 60 yard shuttle, and broad jump at the combine, ran a strong 40, and oh yeah, plays a position that rarely makes an impact their rookie year. Can he not get better? Stevie Johnson couldn't make the 53 man roster for two years and turned out to be pretty good. Can't we give him more than one year?

Most players fail in the NFL, so there's a better chance of him not being a good player than there is he becomes a strong #2. Here's a premature congratulations for predicting Zay to be a bust, congrats!!!

I watched him play last season, and then I watched him attack an unarmed hotel hallway.  That's what I'm basing it on.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Zay has good size, comes from a family with NFL success, was a top performer in the 20 yard shuttle, 60 yard shuttle, and broad jump at the combine, ran a strong 40, and oh yeah, plays a position that rarely makes an impact their rookie year. Can he not get better? Stevie Johnson couldn't make the 53 man roster for two years and turned out to be pretty good. Can't we give him more than one year?

IIRC, one of the things said about him coming out of the draft was that he was the "most NFL ready receiver." That certainly didn't appear to be the case.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well the good news is this is an improvement of the last time he was in the news!

i wanted JuJu but I still believe in Zay. But man, it’s a tough start.  Also, I don’t really believe in our ability to scout offensive players.  Very questionable so far.

Jesus did we have a shot at Juju but drafted Zay instead?  That's Billsy.